Go Bottom Go Bottom

Playing Nice

View my Photos
Lwayne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-25          171831

I remember reading on this or another forum a few days ago about someone having a new CUT but hadn't run it over 2000 rpm's yet. My take was that he was trying to be nice and break it in gently. I also remember my JD service tech coming out for a minor adjustment on my 5101e just after delivery and him noticing a small drop of oil on the hood. "You're not working this tractor hard enough to seat the rings," he told me. It was just one speck but it reminded me back on the farm a new tractor started pulling full power on the first day and I don't recall a problem. Any comments?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Playing Nice

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-25          171833

I agree.

But...having written and illustrated automotive owner and service manuals, I know that the info in there is there for a reason--so if in doubt, read the manual. (That was the running joke where we worked:we got paid very well for writing something no one read) ....

Playing Nice

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-25          171834

My Father was one that went by the book with a new car or tractor so far as breakin was concerned. He didn't get anything new very often but when he did it was by the book only. He bought a new 54 Chevy that he wouldn't drive over fourty for a certain number of miles, then not over fifty for a while, etc. It of course had the old stovebolt six and it drank oil. Most likely because of what the JD tech said, the rings never seated.
Today nobody ever heard of a breakin period and cars just don't use oil anymore till they get 300K. ....

Playing Nice

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-25          171835

I forget where I saw it but either Cat or Cummins runs them for a few hours before they're even installed.

My SSL manual says; for the first 20 hours do not let it idle, land oad the engine intermittenly. After that, don't let idle for peiods of time, and run it full throttle when safe. ....

Playing Nice

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-06-25          171837

These days on cars without roller cams cam wear is a big deal due to the reduction in ZDDP from oil. Not sure how that affects diesels but it must since JD's break-in oil is often recommended for cam break in due to higher ZDDP content.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login