Go Bottom Go Bottom

pto sprayer pump s volume

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-03          194896

Okay need higher spray volume than most 540 pto sprayer pumps supply. Hate to have to move to $800 sprayer pump. Is there any reasonable price step up gearing you can put between a 540 to step it up to 1,000 rpm?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
arcwelder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-04          194903

I was looking at this for a pto hydraulic pump.
It would cost almost as much for the gearing as for another pump.
Check SurplusCenter.com, they have roller pumps.
Not sure how much $ you want to go on this one.

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-04          194906

I feel there must a light weight say 5 to 10 hp system out there which should not be near the pricing of what I found. For a sprayer pump the best hp ratings was about 5 hp for 540 rpms but at 1,000 same pump drop to just over 3. That might could run on a single v belt and pulley setup. Seems simple math drive pulley belt would need to be twice the diameter of the driven pulley.

On my hyd boom mower they have a small gear box to increase the 540 pto speed to the speed the pump was made for so they are out there in compact design.

For my need think I will just cut off one boom when needing the higher gpm my pump setup does not handle. Not worth $800 for maybe 10 hours use per year over just cutting back a boom while spraying. kt

archwelder I wll check them for sprayer pump, did not think of them. Are you trying to move from 540 to 1,000 rpm or higher? I really thought about getting small gas engine to drive the pump on my sprayer. That really had some advantage to me in the tractor running to keep pump circulating is expensive in fuel and tractor wear while a $400 or $500 gas engine is much more reasonable and would be willing to crank it when first began to fill tank and leave it running for breaks so mixture never stops being mixed. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-04          194907

archwelder, with no idea what pump capacity you are working with did you look at using a rotary cutter gearbox or roughcut mower gearbox for your needs?

I might can take rough cut mower gearbox and build platform for 3 pth and use that with pump mounted flat under the gearbox like a blade would be.

View my Photos
arcwelder

2016-04-04          194909

Given what you described, I would just connect the pump to a 5 hp gas motor.
The big roller pumps will give you volume and pressure but for 10 times a year I would not take anything apart.
The gearboxes I was considering were reduction gears and would have to be hooked up backwards.

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-04          194918

If I used it 10 times a year would be different. Normally I only use my big sprayer 2 or 3 times per year. It was about 10 hours per year of use that is a problem.

If you don't mind my asking about your name here, will guess you did a lot of stick welding or if not stick what kind. Back when I was much younger was welding inspector for heavy equipment manufacturing company. Enjoyed it right well other than when having to do magnaflux testing. Boy those cables had to drag around were heavy and tough to get in some places with. We had some guys in there who did such great looking welding. Had one guy I thought a lot of name Grover, built more like I am now, shorter than I should be for the weight. He was the best vertical welder with mig I ever saw. Need to look up old Grover, he was a fine person.
After I left the welding area they brought in a track welder using a flux that poured on to the wire as it was welding. They used it to weld a half inch or so bead where about 1/2 flat metal was being welding in channel to make a box beam. Maybe 15 feet long, maybe little longer. When they had that baby welding it was something impressive. Now all this was between 74 and 84. Sure much has changed, maybe some for the better. Of course we had those like I am, a good dobber but they did not make it soon they found other job either with the company or elsewhere. Company did was good to try and help them learn.

View my Photos
arcwelder

2016-04-05          194927

I qualify as Dobber. I do stick and a little wire (flux)welding. I build stuff for me or fix what I need welded.
I have built some things that were just my ideas.
Log splitter that splits both directions, 14 inch, hooks to tractor Hydraulics.
3 point Air compressor that runs off of the pto on the tractor.
Mounted a Massey Ferguson Front End Loader and Backhoe on a Long 2510.
Special tools, Brackets, Trailers, trailer hitches, 3 pt carry platform that I can mount a Van seat on to carry the grandkids.
Alaskan Sawmill.
Stuff like that.
I don't do enough to stay real good, but I don't have welds break. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-05          194931

I like the seat for the grandchildren the most. They sure do bring joy to my life.

Not breaking is the most important part of a weld I think. Unless on fuel tank then not leaking and not breaking both are important. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2016-04-07          194939

Kenny, the pumps we use have an open center. If you use a PTO shaft extension you can run two pumps in tandem.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-08          194948

Murf you read my mind, I was getting ready to reach out to you. Felt you were running fair selection of sprayers. Would it be easy for you to send me pump brand and model number? Here all I see being used is roller pump with shaft in it. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-11          194958

Well I have not found pto pumps with center the pto shaft goes into and through. All I have found are ones with shafts.
My tractor parts and garage friend suggest I go with a Centrifugal pump. Hypro has one with gearing built in for 540 pto. Pricing higher than I would like to go but for all the positives have heard and read it seems much better than roller pump. Then I find much change my tanks plumbing to me a good bit for change in pump. As it is much larger capacity pump it demands much larger hoses some difference in valves and filters. Sherwood Pumps has very good site on selecting best pump for your needs. Open my eyes. Found out what I thought was ample volume was not even enough to keep my tank mixed.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the centrifuge pump and HYPRO's for certain. Also any info on the pumping circuit for that pump. My sprayer tank is a high setting trailer with bottom of tank a good bit above pto level so do not think water to the pump would be issue as I understand it does not prime itself. But it warns against running dry. So how do you empty the tank when spraying? Or normally spraying till tank is empty and killing pto when it stops okay?
Thank you all. KT ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-23          195024

My sprayer is not a huge sprayer but boy re-plumbing from roller pump to centrifuge pump has been a challenge. The pump I ended up going with is buily by hpro and it has gearbox to speed up the pump using 540 pto. Dummy me told my wife should take no more than half a day and I have spent at least 4 to 6 hours per day on it for three days and yes I will finish it in a couple more..only have the suction hose to hook to the pump and the boom hoses the electric valves. Then do a test run and pray it all works as it should. Have a field of corn that needs spraying.

I went to basics and took the attitude I have no idea what was issue with my sprayer and read beginning with how to select the right pump which also includes how to figure the gpm you need and realize where an issue I had was coming from, way too little gpm to keep chemicals mixed in my tank. The roller pump I had was not even large enough to just keep the chemicals mixed. Have a 500 gallon tank and I needed from 25 to 50 gallons gpm just to keep the chemicals mixed. Way undersize for that and could not find roller pump for 540 rpms to handle the need. Also was told roller pumps will not hold up to wettable power chemicals if not mixed properly. Look forward to having it up and running at is should. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2016-05-18          195197

Kenny, the pumps we use have an open center. If you use a PTO shaft extension you can run two pumps in tandem.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login