Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is this linkage doohickey called

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-17          166370

The rod end on the right in this picture snaps onto a bell crank type ball for the throttle linkage on a Zenith carburetor. What is this gizmo called? NAPA could not match it up with anything and they just called it a 'rod end', of which there are thousands of types.

Sorry for the poor focus, my cheapie camera doesn't do so well at closeups.

The rod end on the right in this picture snaps onto a bell crank type ball for the throttle linkage on a Zenith carburetor. What is this gizmo called? NAPA could not match it up with anything and they just called it a 'rod end', of which there are thousands of types.<br>
<br>
Sorry for the poor focus, my cheapie camera doesn't do so well at closeups.<br>
<br>
[p]http://www.qsolv.com/images/RodEnd.JPG[/p]

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-17          166375

Looks like a ford-style clip or snap on for a ball stud. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-10-17          166377

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 166375
Looks like a ford-style clip or snap on for a ball stud.

It is off a Ford engine with Zenith carb. The guy at NAPA seemed like he had never seen one before and this guy has been there 40 years and recognizes most everything without looking it up. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2009-10-17          166378

Thats not a part that normally needs to be replaced!

Clip on rod end sounds about right for a title but it is probably more commonly refered to as the doohickey!

I've seen them, snapped them in as well as unsnapped them.

Someone must know the right name for this part! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-17          166380

I agree with Jeff, have them look on say 54 Ford carb linkage. No cable then all rods.

If you are needing to make one you may find the end of a high pressure cylinger will work. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-10-17          166384

The doohickey barrel was split and wouldn't stay on the rod but it turns out the ball end on the carb was worn so bad that it wouldn't stay snapped into the doohickey anyway. So I drilled the ball off the carburetor throttle shaft and replaced the doohickey and ball combination with a prefabricated ball joint that NAPA had in stock.

But I'm still curious to know exactly what the doohickey is called. ....

View my Photos
racerellis
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-11-18          166929

Hello I believe THE NAPA part # is 2-686 and it is called a balljoint 1/4 threads? Hope this helps :) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-11-18          166930

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerellis | view 166929
Hello I believe THE NAPA part # is 2-686 and it is called a balljoint 1/4 threads?Hope this helps :)

Thanks. I ended up getting a NAPA ball joint and I think that was the part number but it came with both the ball and socket attached as one assembly so I had to do some minor fabrication to make it work. The doohickey is just a clip that slides over the ball/socket so the ball won't come out. The new ball joint makes for a much better assembly and it's sealed from water which caused the original joint to fail.

View my Photos
Art White

2009-11-28          167056

Ken, I've been through both of our generic hardware catalogs and neither have shown that type of a part. I guess not that good even for being the three inches thick that they are.

A retired auto mechanic called it a clip on ball joint. I can live with that, I think at this time it would require going into an antique car catalog as they used them not only on carburators but I think that I even saw them on some old heater controls.

I did find the base ball's to be clipped in, just not the part that you needed that clips onto it. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-11-28          167058

Art;
One of my uncles had a John deere No. 6 corn sheller on an old Ford truck with a flathead V8. When you got the sheller set up to a crib, you switched the driveshaft behind the transmission over to the sheller drive, a pretty simple spring loaded affair, then you switched the accelerator pedal linkage to a governor driven off the fan belt. Anyhow this little spring loaded dohickey one on the acelerator linckage and one on the governor rod would interchange onto a ball on the carburetor throttle lever with just the push of your thumb to slide a little clip to get it on or off the ball. This was in the fiftys and sixtys so this is far from new technology, I really don't know where to search but it seems somebody would have some of them left. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-11-28          167065

Thanks for the info guys. It seems the common thread is Ford. Although it's not needed anymore I'd like to have one just in case more carburetor work is needed in the future. I'll leave it in the truck and stop by a Ford dealer one of these days to see if they recognize it.

View my Photos
Hettric

2009-11-29          167071

This looks like it, forth from the right at the bottom.
http://www.aetnascrew.com/linkage.htm

http://www.aetnascrew.com/bjoint3.htm ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-11-29          167072

Thanks, Hettric! Their ball joint assembly with the retaining clip looks like the correct design. I'll have to take some measurements to see if it will work with the throttle plate ball size. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login