Go Bottom Go Bottom

Clearing trees

View my Photos
BigFinn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-01          14346

I need advice on how to clear small 1" to 3" clumps of trees (tag alder) from an overgrown field that I want to reclaim to plant Christmas trees. I know I could just cut the trees, but was wondering if the loader on my NH tc29 would be capable of pulling the trees out by the root? Would teeth on the bucket help? I'd sure like to hear if anybody's got any experience doing this. My tractor isn't supposed to be delivered until mid April (I ordered it in early Mar.), so all I can do is mental gymnastics untill then! Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Clearing trees

View my Photos
al

2000-04-01          14350

i have tried what you are suggesting without luck, i have a NH 1520 with loader could not pull them out, so i just brush hogged them, works much faster, lift the mower all the way up and back into the brush and drop the mower on the piles of brush, clears them out fast, if you want to pull them out you may need a smal dozer to do that. that is what the farmers use around here, "if you dont brush hog in the spring, you will chainsaw in the fall". so they say.

good luck

al ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-01          14366

We do this on a regular basis using an attachment called a "Brush-Brute" to do it. It is a set of teeth that go on IN PLACE of your FEL bucket. It will remove anything from 1/4" up to 4" in diameter, without the operator having to leave his seat. I'm not sure where you are located, but the manufacturer is (reasonably) local to me, I can find a dealer near you if you wish. Best of luck. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
BigFinn

2000-04-02          14371

Murf, the Brush Brute sounds interesting. Does this allow the tractor to "bulldoze" the trees out? I'm located in Wisconsin. Thanks. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-03          14393

It does not 'bulldoze' them out, they get 'wedged' between the teeth and the loader then rips them up out of the ground so they can be carried away and dumped out, no stump, no regrowth. I will find out where a dealer may be near you and e-mail you more detailed info if you want. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Brian

2000-04-03          14399

Murf,

Sounds like something I might be interested in as well. I have quite a few stumps in the 4"-8" range I would like to remove. I have a Kubota L3710 that can pull them out with a little ingenuity, but it seems like it is really hard on the tractor. I have been looking for something that would be easier on the tractor and my pasture as well. A picture would be outstanding if you could possibly find one. Thanks for the help.

Brian ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Brian

2000-04-03          14400

Murf,

One more thing.....I am in Colorado. Also, I know you said it will only pull out up to 4" stumps, I can live with that. I will just have to keep plugging away at the bigger ones in another fashion. Thanks again.

Brian ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
BigFinn

2000-04-03          14413

Murf, yes I'm interested. If it's not to much trouble could you e-mail me the address of a dealer or post it here? I think it would work slick on my tag alders. Thanks again. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Richard

2000-04-03          14414

I am also itereseted in one, ilive in california, please list the website of the manufacturer, if they have one. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Murf

2000-04-04          14437

The Brush brute is manufactured by a small 'mom & pop' operation (the farmer who invented it and his wife actually) so they do not have a website, however I will glady send info. to anyone who contacts me. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Scott Stewart

2000-04-07          14557

I found a website that has a picture of the Brush-Brute. It looks like a pretty simple rig - I've found that simple is usually better in my life. http://www.agdealer.com/list/view_image.cfm?image=2010231&dealerid=171 If this doesn't take you there right away, just go to www.agdealer.com and search for "brush-brute". That's how I found it.

Link:   Brush Brute

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Gordon Fletcher

2000-04-10          14664

that looks to good to be true---simple that is---a good cold weather project thanks for the link will come in very handy for me. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
TonyG

2000-04-11          14698

Maybe crude. Doesn't seem particular dangerous to me, and my Grey market L1500 Kubota doesn't seem to mind. I back into the trees and hit them about 18" above ground level a time or two with my box. If it doesn't budge, I pass on that tree (never larger than 1-3"). If it does, then I tie a chain around it and give it a couple of yanks. Usually gets the entire root system out.
Any comments on this caveman engineering? ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
Murf

2000-04-12          14711

Be careful Caveman.... If you are pulling the tree out with the box-blade you could end up UNDER your tractor very easily, or at least with a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson in what not to do with your machine. If you try to pull from any point HIGHER than the centerline of the rear axle, it is only a matter of time before your pull power exceeds the weight of the front part of your tractor. At that point your tractor will pivot on the rear axle and the front end will come up and over on top of you. MANY people have been killed or seriously injured over the years doing EXACTLY this manuever. You cannot believe how easily (and fast) this happens when the circumstances are right. Wear your seat belt, read your owners manual and FOLLOW it's instructions & warnings, TO THE LETTER. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
KenB

2000-04-13          14736

I second Murph's cautions about pulling, but suggest you DON'T use a seatbelt on your ROPS-less L1500. ....

Clearing trees

View my Photos
TonyG

2000-04-13          14750

I really appreciate your interest in my safety, and advice. It won't fall on deaf ears either. Maybe I painted too renegade a picture of what I was doing.
I'm hip to the centerline of the axle physics. If something doesn't easily come out, its left for another day and another piece of equipment. Don't think I'm getting a 1/4 mile running start and popping a chain at 40 mph.
Again, I thank you and will heed your words of caution.
thanks, TonyG ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login