Go Bottom Go Bottom

Can B2400 handle 4 N 1 loader bucket

View my Photos
Pigtyme
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-05          40078

I have a B2400 2WD that I would like to put a loader with 4N1 bucket on to use to pick up brush, trash and mulch. My dealer is hard selling me a new 4wd B2910 saying B2400 can't handle extra weight of 4N1 ... which he says is only available in 60". Anyone put a 4N1 on B2400 and can give me a honest opinion of how it operates? What brands? Prices? Thanks in advance....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-06          40085

I think on a two wheel drive tractor that the extra weight of the 4-in 1 bucket would limit you as to the amount you would be lifting. You might find this a limitation after adding it and paying for the extra valve to operate it. You are only talking of brush removal with the 4 in 1 but what other uses do you have for the tractor loader. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-06          40087

I'm with Art. The added weight of the bucket will decrease the weight at the back of the tractor. Without ballast you will have little traction at the rear.
You want to push into the brush pile before you pick up a load. Without 4x this is difficult with a small tractor. When pushing piles for burning I have often started into the pile to realize that I am out of 4x and immediately noticed the problem and difference. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-06          40088

I would stick with all this good advise. I can testify to Eric's statement being 100% correct. I run between my material piles and work area in 2WD in this weather to avoid stress on the system and engage and disengage the 4WD as I load. Since I am older and prone to intermitten bouts of alzhiemer's, I regularly forget to engage the 4WD until the back tires lose traction, which is almost immediately. I have a 2910, I can imagine what will happen to the 2400 W/O 4WD. Perhaps you can find a used 2719, J/D 4100 or the like and trade up??? It's always a good excuse..er..ah..I mean good reason to do that kind of thing. ....

View my Photos
Pigtyme

2002-07-06          40106

Thanks for the good advice. I actually have two 1998 model B2400's that I use in my landscape maintenance business. They are ... or were ... mostly used as mowers, each having only about 250 hours. We replaced them with zero turn mowers for grass cutting and they get very little use now. I was really looking for a way to make them more useful investments. I kind of figured that I would use one for light duty brush removal and mulch (an expensive wheel barrow so says my wife ...) I don't really have a need to lift heavy weight now (of course I did not see a use for 4WD when I bought these ... mistake) and figured I could keep the loader with 4N1 if and when finances allowed a trade up to B2910. Dealer only offered $7000 on trade for 2400 with 60" deck and bagger system with 250 hours. Paid around $14300 for machine four years ago and hard to justify taking that kind of hit. Wants right at $18000 for 2910 with 4N1 loader. Would not get another mower deck. Tested a 2910 and loved it but it is $11000 trade ... hard to swallow that kind of hit. Has anyone heard of a grapple bucket for compact tractor? Kind of like skid steer type ... that is lighter duty than 4N1? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-07          40107

I've seen pics of a grapple bucket. Some discussion may even be in the archives here, but I'm not sure where I saw it. I didn't recognize the name of the manufacturer, and I'm not sure how I'd try to find one other than a general web search or ask my dealer. Wish I had more specific info.

As I recall, it was a hydraulic unit that mounted onto the pipe between the loader arms. There were two grapples that raised and lowered over the bucket top. The only problem with the idea that I recall was that the grapples couldn't be raised high enough and they might interfere with some normal loader work. There may have been some sort of quick release of the grapples from the hydraulic cylinder so they could be raised further.

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-07          40128

Tom that is not what we are talking about. Below is a link with a 4 in one bucket. I'm sorry I could not remember a site more apt and quickly find it.
Eric ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Art White

2002-07-08          40147

There is a company by the name of ATI that builds 4-in-1 buckets for a compact tractor loader. The 60 inch weighs in at 350 lbs and sells for about 2000. They also build a grapple kit, this kit fits 48 to 66" bucket that weighs about 140 lbs and sells for 600. Either way you seem to be gaining about the same weight over the standard bucket. ....

View my Photos
Pigtyme

2002-07-09          40208

After visiting the Carver Equipment site and seeing the grapple attachment for the standard buckets I decided on a LA352 for tractor. Think it will be a good compromise of weight and performance ... the grapple looks like just what I was looking for as a complement to the front end loader. They are supposed to e-mail me the price. I decided to go with my local dealer for the loader ... he came close to matching price ($3,000 installed with quick connect) and has offered me excellent service in the past. Thank you guys for your input. It was very helpful! Robert ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-09          40212

Yes, it was the Carver site where I remember the grapple bucket. Happy you found it. If my memory is accurate, the unit does have a quick release for the grapples, and the bucket isn't very good for scooping buckets of gravel etc. unless the quick release is used. It might be good to be check out the max height of the grapples and convenience of any release device. ....

View my Photos
Pigtyme

2002-07-11          40287

Well Terry at Carver Equipment called and discussed the grapple attachment. It seems the grapple itself cost only $600 but that does not include any hydraulics. He estimated that total cost installed with hydraulics would be around $1400. That approaches the cost of a 4N1 bucket. He suggest I try a tooth bar to enhance the scooping action of the standard bucket on brush piles, debris, etc. So the search continues for a high quality, light weight, low cost, efficient grabber attachment ** dream on ** LOL. I am sure I will come up with something that will fulfill my needs and I am excited about getting my loaders grapples or not. I think it will be a real back and time saver for lots of tasks ... and new "orange toys" are always fun ... Thanks Tom for the info and input. Robert ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-12          40298

I was sort of wondering if the tractor had an extra hydraulic circuit. Of course a 3rd circuit is very handy for using 3ph implements with hydraulics and for hydraulic top-links, but I guess the object here is not to spend much money getting this tractor back into a useful role.

Some older type valve assemblies that have in-line control levers rather than joystick linkages can have additional control valve sections added. Mine is like that, but it's an English valve and I don't know if separate control valve sections are available in N.A..

I do have a 3-valve assembly but share the problem since I really need at least four valves. When I have my 3ph forklift mounted, I have to steal the valve for my loader curl to run the forklift carriage tilt because my 3rd valve has to run the lift. That solution wouldn't be great for a loader grapple I guess. An additional valve assembly usually can be added in the PB line of an existing assembly, but that solution starts getting a little pricey as well.

I've heard about, but never seen, things called 'hydraulic multipliers.' They are kind of a one in and several out idea. I think they're OK but a little inconvenient for operations like a grapple that would go back and forth between different outlets on the multiplier. A simple diverter valve probably would be a crude solution, but I think I’d want something with a check valve and safety pressure relief valve in the grapple circuit.

View my Photos
Murf

2002-07-12          40303

We put simple, self-built grapples on several of our buckets for exactly the purpose of dealing with brush & debris. They are just 1"x2" (0.125" thick) tube steel frames with the smallest (backhoe) bucket teeth I could find on the ends for durability. The pivots (hinges) are only two pieces of heavy wall tubing, one 1.5" I.D., and one 1.5" O.D., that nest together (outer drilled for a grease fitting of course). They are mounted on the top of the bucket itself, this way they stay in constant relation with the bucket as it moves. The articulation comes from one 1.5" x 12" cylinder mounted in the center, powered by a selector valve mounted on the loader valve assembly which, when actuated, 'freezes' the curl circuit and powers the grapple. They cost about $400 each, including the valve, cylinder & hoses, for materials and took about 4 hours to construct, while I never weighed them, I am guessing they are about 100-150 pounds complete. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Pigtyme

2002-07-14          40364

Building the actual grapple sounds like it would be simple enough. Especially since I am looking for it to be a reasonably light duty rig. Of course some of the smallest projects turn into the biggest monsters. But your idea certainly sounds simple and straightforward. The hydraulic hookup would be my biggest fear. I am absolutely ignorant when it comes to that. But I might look at this thing once I get it home and see if I can steal your idea and make a set that would serve my purpose. Thanks for the ideas ... I will most probably be back for help and/or at least to let you know how it turns out. Robert ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login