Go Bottom Go Bottom

3ph implement mounted on loader bucket

View my Photos
andyk1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-08          175016

I have a L4540A backhoe on my Kubota L4150. I want to do some quick stone raking but I dread taking off the backhoe just for this small task. Has anyone ever considered or tried mounting a 3ph stone rake on a loader bucket? I can think of some possible ways to do it but I can't decide if I'm being damn clever or foolish for even considering this.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-09          175020

I mounted a rake to my loader bucket for pulling out debris from a heavily overgrown fenceline with success.

But to do what you want to do only works "on paper" OR if the ground were perfectly flat and smooth.

Having anything out front ---and even more so adding the length of the implement and the linkage to hold it---is much more susceptible to the up and down movement of the loader bucket which result in dips and humps. If you were convinced you wanted to do this, try chaining it to the bucket and see what happens. You'd be better off pulling than going forward like I did. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-11-09          175022

I drilled two 3/4" holes in my bucket a foot apart on the floor behind the cutting edge. I bolt my three custom attachments through them, a shovel nose, a floor extender (a one-foot, protruding lower lip that allows hand-loading more brush and stuff), and a spill-guard (when I use the bucket as a spray reservoir). If I had need I wouldn't think twice about making a back-drag float rake or even a set of them.

The hard job was drilling the holes. Had the spade-nose made by a welding shop, the others I did. ....

View my Photos
andyk1

2010-11-09          175029

Thanks guys. You have given some thoughts for consideration. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-11-09          175030

I have a bracket that allows me to use any standard 3pth implement in place of the bucket on my machine (see below) instead of on the actual 3pth itself.

However as was mentioned, unless you are working on perfectly flat ground it's a PITA to do. The undulations make the FEL move up & down an exaggerated amount. Add to that the fact that the FEL has to be held up to carry the weight on anything but the implement itself, and you have a bad combination.

If you set the FEL up to what you think is the right height and then the front wheels drop into a hole, the FEL (and the implement it's carrying) go down and it digs in. If the wheels go up over even a small bump, then the implement goes up (a lot more) and are clear of the ground and doing nothing.

Unless you have gauge wheels, and set the FEL to 'float' it's nearly impossible to do anything close to half decent.

Best of luck.

. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-11-09          175041

Another thought: make an adapter or bolt it directly to the backhoe bucket's underside. I'd use 3/4" grade 8's and grade 8 washers and lock washers. This could have far reaching possibilities (pun intended). But keep the implement close as possible to the rear wheels to prevent any of the characteristics as aforementioned.

No joke...I've heard-tell of a guy in Alaska weld a trailer hitch ball to his backhoe bucket so that he could pull his pickup around town from job to job negating the need for a big truck and trailer. I sometimes see semi tractors doing the same when they're not hauling a semi trailer. ....

View my Photos
andyk1

2010-11-09          175042

That is an interesting idea. Although I'll still have the issues of the implement being far away from the rear wheels and thus have the accentuated rocking motions described. My bucket tends to droop on its own over a short time, say 1/2 hour, so I'd have to keep an eye on that as well. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-11-10          175055

Earthworks reminded me, I made the mounting holes 3/4" so I could mount a ball hitch for moving trailers.

Yes, buckets tend to self-dump on older rigs and it will get worse. You can interchange the raise/lower with the curl/dump connections at the controler to tell if the internal leak is at the controler or the curl/dump cylinders, and get the leaky ones resealed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login