Go Bottom Go Bottom

filling hydraulic hoses for first time

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-07          146606

I have buit a very cool new boom implement for the my three point hitch- it's really cool- I will get a picture up soon- any way, since the cylinder and hoses are empty now, how do I fill these up for the first time? I will be running this off the same port I use on the back of my machine that I use to raise and lower my mower decks. I have a total of 8 feet, 3/8" ID hose if that matters.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-07          146607

Maybe there's a way to precharge the lines and cylinders but I just hook stuff up and start using it, then shut off the tractor and top off the fluids. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-07          146608

Kleinchris,

Can't wait to see the new boom.

Your hoses will hold only about a quart of fluid. Kwschumm has it right. Hook it up to the tractor and operate the machine normally. When you disconnect the machine, leave the cylinders in the normally stored position, and then top off your tractor's fluid reservoir.

You'll have to precharge the system only if your cylinders and hoses hold more than a gallon of fluid.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-07          146609

Thanks guys- that sounds simple enough. I was kind of expecting a lecture on either the importance of high grade fluid or safety! ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-07          146610

More more question: On a hydrostatic tranny tractor, is there one hydraulic system or two? (Does the same pump that supplies flow for locomotion also supply the tools?) ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-07          146611

Kleinchris,

If you were looking for a lecture on safety, here you go.....

Any time you hook up a new machine for the first time, be aware of the fact that there could be some hydraulic leaks. If the leak is serious enough, it can seriously injure the operator and / or any bystanders.

If you notice a leak, do not run your hand over the area, as the fluid could easily cut the skin, or even amputate a finger. Additionally, the oil will get into the blood stream and can cause severe complications....even death.

As for your fluid..........

You'll need to be aware of the changes you make in oil to fit the seasons. If you change your fluid in your tractor to make it operate better in the cold weather.... and then hook up the implement, it will contaminate your fresh fluid. This is why I choose a good fluid and then stick with it. I then have that good fluid in every implement that connects to my tractor. (I use Kubota's Super UDT in everything)

You asked for it......hehehe.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-07          146615

Oh yes, that's more like it. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-07          146616

When I get new hoses made up, I'll spray starting fluid up each end to remove the rubber and steel particles left by the hose cutting process which is done by an abrasive cutter.

As far as precharging cylinders, it makes sense to do that and also bleeding them too. Not all cylinder seals will allow air to bypass the seals. And not all cylinders are self-bleeding by design.

Years ago I wrote an extensive procedure on how to bleed the hydraulic system on the Mitsubishi Spyder Retractable Hardtop. Summarily, the cylinders needed to be turned up side down for a period of time to allow the air bubbles to become one then open a line to purge them. The engineers found that the production assembly line was taking way too long and the high warranty costs were such that a self- bleeding feature was added to later production. All that feature was was a small groove in the top of cylinder wall at full extension (with the cylinder not connected to the linkages). Simple. But it worked great. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-07          146621

What are the benefits to getting hoses made up rather than buying premade, like from Tractor Supply or Northern? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-08          146623

Kleinchris,

The only advantage to having a hose custom made, is that you'll be able to get a hose with the swivels and fittings you want (fittings of higher quality), as well as one that is cut and sized to the proper length.

Hoses purchased from retail outlets are generic in nature, and not custom fit. (cut in six inch increments) Usually you'll end up purchasing a hose that is just a bit longer than you actually need.

A custom hose makes any job look like it was built by a professional.

Joel ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-08          146643

Chris there can be three systems: hydro pump for the drive only, steering, and aux. tools and the 3pt. hitch.

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-10-09          146654

I agree with EW again!!! Yes flush those custom cut hoses, they have all the nasty stuff he speaks of in the end couple inches. I don't have any data on just how much but a custom cut hose must be made just a bit longer than the actual measurment needed. The reason being that because of the spiral wrap of the wire in the wall of the hose. When internal pressure is applied by the hydraulic fluid the hose expands just a tick in diamater making the hose a bit shorter under pressure. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-09          146656

Frank, AGAIN!?

It's time I play the Lotto! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login