Go Bottom Go Bottom

2wd with loader

View my Photos
dwighop
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-22          106613

I have a L3010 2wd Kobota that I was going to put a loader on for general yard work. I have 5 acres that will need to be maintained with landscaping and brush hog. Is 2wd good enough or should I save my money and just get a new tractor w/ loader?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2wd with loader

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-22          106617

I would say for what you are talking about doing it should be fine with only 2WD.

Most farm tractors until recently were predominantly 2WD and were (are?) capable of a lot of work. Mind you, they also had, in most cases, loaded rear tires also. With sufficient counter-balance on the 3PTH you should be fine.

You will be limited in how much heavy lifting or digging you will be capable of doing, but for general chore work I'm sure it will do the job. The big stuff may just take 5 or 6 scoops instead of say 2 or 3 with 4wd, if you don't mind spending the time to save the money you're all set.

Best of luck.

2wd with loader

View my Photos
denwood

2005-02-22          106626

You may be fine for putting around 5 acres with light chores, but I consider putting a loader on a 2WD, throwing good money after bad. Personally I would unload the 2WD to the first taker (Caveat emptor) and make a better choice. There will be better resale with 4wd and you will be happier. Todays small light tractors just don't do well with a loader and 2WD ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-23          106655

I traded my 2wd for the 7800. I just kept spending time and money trying to make the 2wd work right for us. Trading it in was the best decision for us, both $'s and usefulness. Using the loader with the 2wd just didn't work well, especially if the ground was wet or muddy. I would only be able to take less than a half bucket at a time, even with rear weight. Trying to load more than a half bucket was almost impossible. There just wasn't enough traction to get into the pile, curl and lift.

Everyone's needs are a little different. We found the 4wd to be the answer for us. ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
havoctec

2005-02-23          106660

A new tractor with 4wd is definately the way to go. However, if you will have to wait several years whaile you save up money for the new tractor, then get a loader for your 2wd. While it will not be the perfect set up, you will still be able to get a lot of work done with it. ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
plots1

2005-02-23          106667

If money is object, a loader for your 2 wheel drive wins hands down.I think you would be much happier with 4x4 as it's been stated by some. I use 2 wheel drive on my 5205 Large Frame with loaded tires sometimes if I only have one bucket to scoop up and it's hard to get a full bucket without making big ruts from spinning with the extra weight it has. I always use 4x4 when I'm going to work a pile for a bit as it leaves a smaller mess to clean up when your done. ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
JParker

2005-02-23          106676

If you are going the 4wd direction in the future, and you don't need to lift the loads very high, I saw an interesting 3pt accessory that could save you money for now. It's a large scoop that you can run either forward or backward. It would handle scraping up top soil, gravel... transporting it and dumping it.

Just a thought. I don't have one, but it looked like a decent makeshift bucket for a lot less money. Obviously you couldn't load a truck or wagon with it though. Just scoop, haul & dump.

- JP ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
dwighop

2005-02-24          106743

Thanks for the replies. I know 4X4 is a better machine but it may be a couple of years down the road. I think the 2wd will suffice my needs for now. Thanks again. ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
dwighop

2005-02-24          106744

Thanks for the replies. I know 4X4 is a better machine but it may be a couple of years down the road. I think the 2wd will suffice my needs for now. Thanks again. ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-25          106811

Good choice. Us members that have 4wd also have 2wd with it. Often times I use my tractor without engaging 4wd. In fact most of the time I run it in 2wd only shifting if I am bogging down or if I know the loader work will beifit from 4wd. If finances prohibit a new (excuse) for a 4wd than you have made the right choice. Nothing worse than fightin with the bride over something as small as that.

2wd with loader

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-02-26          106837

I ran a 2wd with loader for 2 years. It took a bad snowstorm to get meto switch to 4wd. For most of what you will do, it will be fine. Just keep weight on the 3pt when using the loader. Helps keep the rear wheels where they are supposed to be. Not tomention better traction.

You mostly need 4wd when using the loader in wet/sloppy/low traction conditions. For me, that's snow or uphill in wet grass. 4wd doesn't get used much in summer. Always in winter now that I've upgraded. ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-26          106845

Yes Iowa fun is right from my experiance so far anyway. The other down fall is the tires spining and making ruts in new laid gravel while pushing into the pile. Not that big a deal though. The first hour I had my tractor I would of had her burried to the frame if not for 4wd. Was brush hogging and got to close to the woods edge where the frost was still bubbling out of the ground. You sink very fast. That would of been more embarresing than a major problem though.
So what is your decision? Are you going to install it on your tractor? IMO go for it!
I will give all these guys here on tractor point all the credit. They saved me big head aches and tons of money. I was going to buy 2wd and no fel. The first thing they told me was dont even think about not getting the fel (for the work I decribed I had). They were 100% right. Everytime I wheel a wheel burrow down at my other home I wish I had that tractor (2wd or 4wd) it would not matter.
Keep us informed on your progress with it! ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
mohican

2005-04-21          110198

JParker,

In picture #6, what kind of quick detach system do you have on you lower link ends? Does it require bushings for implements? (It doesn't appear so) Where did you get it and what did it cost? Is it easy to hook up with? I would like one very much if it is simple to use. I have a 2004 B7610w/352 FEL. I deal with Davis-Merchant Kubota in Powhatan, Va. on RT60. Great folks there.

I noticed that your top link did not appear to be connected to your 5' bush hog, is that true? I could only see chains in the picture. I didn't know you could do that. How do you tilt it up?

I see you are in Richmond, Va. I live in Poquoson, Va. near Yorktown and own 35+ acres in Buckingham Co., Va. off Rt 60. Nice to see a fellow Virginian on the sight. I appreciate any response. Thanks.

Jim "ClearCut" Wright ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
tw-20ford

2005-06-02          111873

if you have wet ground or going to be working in dirt i would consider 4wd. if just mow its all right.good luck! ....

2wd with loader

View my Photos
tw-20ford

2005-06-02          111874

if you have wet ground or going to be working in dirt i would consider 4wd. if just mow its all right.good luck! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login