Go Bottom Go Bottom

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
mobilus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-19          145858

Has anyone built one of those pto-driven paddle wheels for putting oxygen in a farm pond? Not sure what would be the best way to go with it...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-19          145861

Mobilus,

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department uses an entirely different system, and it works very well.

They use a PTO pump with a venturi installed on the side. The venturi restricts the outlet pipe, speeding up the water flow, which creates a vacuum behind the water. The vacuum created allows a tremendous amount of air to enter the water stream.

On the outlet end, which is placed under water, there are a series of small outlet ports, placed about 10 feet apart, down the length of the hose.

The air that is drawn in causes the surface of the pond, or lake, to appear as though it is boiling. The water to air ratio is about 2:1. It's a very efficient system.

This system is used to replenish oxygen levels in shallow lakes in which weeds are present. When covered with ice and snow during the winter months, the weeds begin to die, due to a lack of sunlight. The decaying weeds eat up the oxygen, which, in turn, kills the fish.

A venturi, installed just downstream from the outlet port of your pump, will provide fantastic results. And with no moving parts, no maintenance is required.

Joel ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-19          145865

Mobilus,

It is fairly easy to build a venturi in your own workshop.

Here's a picture of one.

See figure 12, on page 25, at the link posted below.

Joel ....

Link:   VENTURI

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
Murf

2007-09-19          145868

It would be easier, and a BUNCH cheaper if you are within reasonable range of electricity to put a large bubbler on the bottom of the pond fed by a low pressure air line from an air compressor.

A friend of mine near here made one up a few years back, it is a T-fitting off the pressure line in his shop, to a regulator that steps it down to just a few PSI, then into a VERY long piece of utility grade black poly piping, which leads to the bubbler which is several very fine holes in the a long line along the last few feet of pipe.

He claims the compressor only runs a few minutes a day to keep the system running.

Best of luck. ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-09-19          145876

Thanks guys!

Cando, that does seem like a more efficient way to introduce air into the water. And I'm sure that driving a pump would take less hp than turning a paddle wheel. I have a jet drive in an old 1986 Seadoo that I might try to modify if I decide I need to use the tractor.

But, Murf, I think you're right about not using the tractor. I do have power about a hundred feet away from the pond, so I think I'll try your suggestion first. What type of bubbler are you talking about? One of those air stones that go into aquariums or a bubbler that goes on sprinkler systems?

Thanks again! ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
Murf

2007-09-19          145878

Mobilus, neither, he just drilled some very fine holes in the poly pipe near the end then folded the pipe over and put a stainless steel hose clamp around it to cap the end off.

Be aware though, if you go this route you will need to weight the pipe down pretty good, otherwise once it's filled with air it will pop to the surface like a cork!

He said he used empty soda bottles filled with sand and zip-tied to the pipe every foot or so.

Best of luck. ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-09-19          145884

Murf, you probably could use a piece of galvanize pipe and it's weight should keep it down.

Mobilus, you should have no problem with air pressure that distance.

Does this help in any way with such as duck weed? ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-09-19          145887

It should help with weeds, but I'm not plaqued with that.

Because we haven't had any real rainfall in the past couple of months, the water level has dropped a lot. What I think is happening is the oxygen level is decreasing. The water is losing that healthy green look, and I've been feeding the fish more this year, possibly causing extra waste which rots (creating nitrogen?). Anyway, I had a fish die-off last year (pond turnover?) and I want to prevent it this year.

Murf, I like it...especially because it is cheap! What size poly pipe did your friend use?

kt, I might have some cast iron pipe in the junk pile that I can cap on one end and put a nipple on the other for the connection to the poly pipe. That'll take care of the weight. Thanks for the tip. ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
Murf

2007-09-20          145919

Mobilus, his system runs 3/4" "utility grade" poly, the cheapest stuff he could find.

Be aware though, the steel pipe will sink, but even a foot of air filled poly will not, it will pop to the surface like a cork once the air pushes the water out.

Start with really small holes, the smallest you can get a drill bit for, it's way easier to drill hole bigger than it is to reduce them. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
Art White

2007-09-29          146237

You might try for your dairy farm neighbors manure pump for a quick burst of circulation! ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-10-04          146536

Thanks for the help guys.

I did the compressor route. But I have gotten a freeby sump pump, and I plan on working up a geyser type aerator with it this weekend.

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-04          146537

Mobilus, check the label on the sump motor before you go to far down that road, very few of them are rated for constant duty.

If you run them for long non-stop they burn up pretty quick.

A swimming pool pump is more like what you want.

Best of luck. ....

Agitator for pond

View my Photos
JasonR

2007-10-04          146538

If you go the pump route - do a search for:

Cal Torpedo pond pumps

They make numerous models that are reasonably priced for the high volume of water they move.

- Jason ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login