Go Bottom Go Bottom

FEL Mount Log Splitter

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-07          129043

When I got my tractor, a log splitter wasn't an attachment that I thought I would be getting. It wasn't until I started reading this message board that I found out how easy it would be to make one...

In order to save a little time (and space), my log splitter mounts via the 2" hitch receiver on my front bucket. I went with a round 2" tube so the log splitter rotates in the hitch and lock into a transport and a log splitting position. It can be loaded, unloaded, etc. without ever having to lift it. (See my pics 11, 12, 13.)

I would have preferred to use an I-Beam, but to keep the cost down, I had virtaully all of the steel available in my shop. Hence, a 24" hydraulic cylinder, open center valve, hoses, and the wedge were all that needed to be purchased.

I figured I post this in case anyone else was looking into building their own log splitter to give them some ideas and options.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

FEL Mount Log Splitter

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-07          129052

Pretty kewl Jason. Reminds me of my experimentation with a rotating splitting cone that I adapted to my skid steer hydraulic auger. ....

FEL Mount Log Splitter

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-07          129053

Interesting. Could you make it free standing so you could use the bucket to carry wood to the splitter and then just hook up the lines? You then would only use the FEL to move it around. ....

FEL Mount Log Splitter

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-08          129070

Nicely done.

Good looking bucket-hitch set-up too..... :-} ....

FEL Mount Log Splitter

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-08          129071

That's similar to what I did a few years back, except mine mounts to the utility frame (my picture # 18) that I replace the bucket with, and the mount is not into the 2" receiver directly, I made a 3pth couple so I can mount any 3pth implement on the FEL.

Also, by mounting it via a 3pth adapter on the FEL it is very stable and can be used without having to rest it on the ground, this allows me to, for instance, set it level with the tailegate of a truck or trailer and split the wood by just sliding it into the splitter. This also allows me to work standing up instead of bent over.

Best of luck. ....

FEL Mount Log Splitter

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-05-08          129106

Peters...

I'd go with a much different design if I were to make it free standing. My use is typically to drive it to a downed tree, chain saw the tree into pieces and log split at that location. If the logs were in various locations, I would just drive the tractor to each of those locations with the splitter attached to the bucket.

Murf...

I like the 3pth design/idea for the FEL. I was thinking about something similar for moving attachments around (i.e. when the backhoe is attached). While I doubt I'll ever use it 'not' in the ground position, the log splitter is pinned in the receiver and can be used at any height the bucket can lift it at. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login