Go Bottom Go Bottom

Arena round pen maintenance

View my Photos
homeinOR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-01          118751

Have a JD 4110 and need to maintain smooth appearance of horse/livestock arena and round pen with top surface made up of DG. Rake, tiller, or what is best to easily "smooth" out after animal use?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
rogermo1

2005-11-01          118775

I would think a landscape rake would be the best and faster. I have a 4110 and landpride rake that I just bought. Love it
good luck/ ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-02          118783

My neighbor uses a chain harrow. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-02          118789

It depends on how badly the arena gets chewed up by the horses.

We use several things depending on how bad the footing is.

The first is a homemade device a LOT (;->) like the "Millcreek Spin Groomer" (do a Google search on that exact phrase), it is the most often used.

If the footing is really badly pounded on or has deep ruts we use a different beast, it looks a lot like a pulverizer, but it has small spring tine harrow tines instead of stubby steel pegs.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-11-02          118794

Might want to look at something like this:

http://www.absoluteinnovations.net/equine/tr3.asp ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-11-02          118796

See my picture #8 of a home made pulverizer. It has an expanded metal roller at the back. Works great for that! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-02          118797

I have used disks and chain harrow on really badly beatup ground in a ring. The chain harrow does a good job of routine maintainence, but does not level.
A box blade and harrow would keep it in shape. ....

View my Photos
Justus

2005-11-02          118799

homeinOR, I haven't checked out the websites offered by anyone here but I'm sure they offer some good options.
I don't know how far you are from Portland Meadows racetrack but where does the ground get more beat up from horses than at a racetrack? I've seen what they use at a distance to groom the track after each race at Meadowlands a few times but don't know exactly what it is. You may consider calling them if they aren't close and asking maintainance what they use on the track or other areas. I also realize there's probably a difference between constant grooming and doing it once a month or so. Steve ....

View my Photos
Gerry

2005-11-06          119031

I use a tiller once or twice a year and in the past I have followed up with diamond harrows. This year I began using an s-tine cultivator which my son modified by adding a leveller bar behind the tines which helps to level the lose soil and overall keep the riding ring more level. The bar is made from an old grader blade so it is only about 4" high, so far this works fine with any excess dirt going over the blade. We designed it so we can adjust the blade up or down.

This new set up appears to work very well at keeping the riding ring level. It also controls the depth the tines go in (I set it at 4"). We use the s-tine cultivator during the riding season and will likely only use the tiller in the spring.

So far my wife likes the results so what more can I hope for. I may add a couple of additional tines next year to get rid of grooves. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login