Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rear blade question

View my Photos
ltaafd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-23          113804

We are looking at a 24 horse power tractor with Hydro. I would like a back blade, we will be doing landscaping, snow and road/driveway work for about 1200'. We live in Mid lower MI.

Any thoughts on size and model? How about price?

Thanks
KC

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rear blade question

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-23          113807

I use a LandPride 84" on my 45 HP tractor. I have been happy with the quality of the LandPride. I think that a 60" unit would be about the right size for your tractor. ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-07-23          113810

I run a 84" King Kutter (professional series) rear blade on my 35 HP tractor and I'm happy with it.
Stay away from the KK light duty $200 blades, my opinion.
The "professional series" King Kutter back blades are far better made and heavier duty blade.

Rear blade question

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-23          113814

I have a Deere 4115 (24 HP) that I am very pleased with.

I think I would be just as happy with a Kubota B2710 or a B2910, except my Deere has a quick detach bucket which allows me to change to a very useful set of pallet forks in about a minute. ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-23          113816

I run a Woods RB72 72" blade on my 24 HP Kubota B7610 and it works great for light snow removal. ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
ltaafd

2005-07-23          113819

Dennis do you do any dirt work with that blade?

KC ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-23          113821

Yes I have done some grading / smoothing using the blade rotated 180 degrees for dragging which works pretty good. A blox scrapper is probably better for that use, but I just made due with the blade and it was OK. Position control would be nice but for back dragging the blade you don't need it.

I have about the same size drive and I would not recommend the the rear blade for snow removal. I only use it to push slush or remove compacted snow, or light snow falls that are too little for my front mount snow blower which is awesome. ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2005-07-23          113824

I have a NH TC 24DA (24hp) with a 60" Woods back blade and a 54" Land Pride box scrapper. I like the box scrapper better for most dirt work. Did not have any snow last winter so have not used the back blade for snow removal yet. ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
ltaafd

2005-07-24          113828

Dennis, my plan was to remove snow with loader and back blade turned around. We don't get enough snow for the cost of a snow blower.

KC ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-24          113832

If you have a flat drive that combination may be an adequate solution for you. But it won't be a neat solution as you will be compacting snow quite a bit from riding over it with the tractor. This may cause you to have to apply sand /salt etc.....for traction.

I am sure you know that a loader will not work anything like a snow plow on a truck and will just bunch up the snow in front of it. If it is wet snow it gets heavy pretty quick. If the snow is deep you may not be able to drive straight down the drive, but instead have to clear it in diagonal slices, with lots of backing up.

The other thing is that both the loader and blade have no give in them like the springs in a truck plow, so if you hit something solid you can get hurt, particularly if you are going fast. So you need to go slowly and carefully.

Nonetheless, the loader and blade combination is a good place to start as you will find many uses for it.

Rear blade question

View my Photos
ltaafd

2005-07-24          113839

We may look at a front blade down the road.

KC ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-26          113917

Sounds like a skid steer would be more up the alley your looking at unless there is more work for the tractor than you stated? Good luck anyway you choose. ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
beagle

2005-07-26          113926

I live in Mid-Lower Michigan and run a B7810 with a FEL for the summer chores, and switch to a front hydraulic blade for the winter snow. I clear our driveway, about 800', and 1/4 mile road. The front blade is the way to go in the snow unless you run a blower. I plow the drive at the cottage up north with the neighbors rear blade, and there is no comparison in ease and efficiency. The front blade blows away the rear blade. With a little ground speed, the front blade is able to throw the snow 4 to 5 feet to help keep the drifts under control.

The 30hp is just about right for controlling the winter snow with a blade. I wouldn't go with much less. With less HP, you may want to consider a blower. ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
ltaafd

2005-07-27          113973

Lawn mowing will be high on the list! Bobcat is not an option.

KC ....

Rear blade question

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-07-27          113986

I use my tractor for about the same things you talk about. I went with a 4310. 30 Hp was my minimum power range for what I needed the tractor to do. Mow in summer, move some dirt and rock, then snow in winter.

I use the loader and a 6 ft rear blade in winter to move snow. My rear blade is curved so it can dig in. As such, I shorten my top link as much as possible so the blade won't dig that much and kick the gravel into the yard. It also lessens the risk of it catching on something and doing damage to the tractor, me or both.

I also use the blade in summer for working over the gravel in the main drive. The top area between shop and garage is done with a box blade since I'm moving much more rock.

Ideally, I'd concrete the drive and go to a snow blower. That all costs money. I used the loader for the drifts and to pile up the snow. I'm lucky that I live on a hill so the drive itself is usually blown clean or lesser depth so the blade (driving forwards) does just fine. I don't think the blade would work going forward if the snow was deeper than 12" - 15".

Just my opinion. A front blade would probably be better execpt for my gravel problem. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login