Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 650 Governor Rebuild

View my Photos
bhocken
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-10          70737

Hello Forum, I've got a JD 650 (18 hp compact 2 cyl Yanmar diesel). The throttle is sticking. My JD dealer told me it sounds like the governor needs to be rebuilt and recommended I remove it myself and send it out to the same shop they would so I don't have to pay him to do it. Question is, I consider myself of above average ability and knowledge with engines, but I've got limited diesel experience. Not sure what I'm getting into with removing the governor. I don't want to create a bigger problem. Is this a relatively easy task? Should I purchase a Service or Repair manual prior to doing it? Any suggestions or guidance are welcome. Also, is there anything in particular that causes a governor to need a rebuild...bad fuel, water in the fuel, etc?

Thanks, I know this is a wide-open question.
-Bryan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 650 Governor Rebuild

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-10          70739

I would NOT attempt removing and installing the govenor without the shop manual. After you price out and real from the sticker shock of the manual; you may want to weigh the cost of the manual and the task with how much the dealer would charge. It may not be that difficult a task but having the shop manual to refer to is a must. The final cost may be a wash in the end but then it is hard to place a value on doing the work yourself and knowing it was done right and by the book. ....

JD 650 Governor Rebuild

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-10          70741

I'd certainly recommend getting a service manual. They're handy to have, problems or not.

Your post prompted me to lookup the governor mechanism in my 4310 technical manual. The governor is part of the injection pump assembly on my machine, but it's interesting that the "technical manual" doesn't say much about it. Instead, there is a big disclaimer that says the injection pump/governor assembly must only be serviced by a factory trained technician and no procedure is documented. Your 650 is an older machine which may not be under any EPA regulations so perhaps the 650 service manual would provide instructions. It may be a good idea to talk to your rebuilder first to see exactly what he needs to rebuild it and if there are any gotchas to avoid when removing and reinstalling it. You'll want an estimate anyway. ....

JD 650 Governor Rebuild

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-10          70742

Either way they are MIGHTY expensive to replace if you damage one, not to mention the risk of improper installation causing an unchecked runaway. You should be fine just as long as you have the manual and have reviewed the task. ....

JD 650 Governor Rebuild

View my Photos
bhocken

2003-12-10          70743

Thanks for the advice everyone...looks like I'm getting a manual first! Is the JD Technical Manual the best resource, or is there a better publication? I'm assuming for the price JD charges, the manual comes w/ a JD mechanic for the first hour? :) ....

JD 650 Governor Rebuild

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-10          70744

AFAIK, the JD technical manual is the ONLY publication. I haven't seen a 650 tech manual, but the 4210/4310/4410 manual is over 800 pages of good information. ....

JD 650 Governor Rebuild

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-11          70796

I don't know if the pump and governor are one unit as they are on many compacts. If so many repair probably means removing the pump. I imagine you'll read the manual procedures but I'd be aware before starting to tear into it that many procedures call for making an index mark with a cold chisel before removing the pump so it can be remounted without changing the timing. Without an index mark it may have to be re-timed (which along with the valve clearance isn't a bad idea anyway if there's some hours on it). Re-timing may require tools such as dial indicators, so I'd go through the procedures carefully to ensure you're set up to complete the job.

Some governors have a maintenance procedure for lubricating the flyweight pivot points. That could be the problem if the governor is of this type of design and a fix wouldn't require a tear-down. Anyway it's something that might be checked out. Factory manuals are almost always the best by far. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login