Go Bottom Go Bottom

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-10          63488

Does it matter what position the attachments are in when checking the hyd./trans.oil level?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-10          63491

I think what counts is a consistent position each time. Most manuals I have seen say to put all the implements at rest and of course you would shut the engine down.

My 4115 has a sight glass on the transmission along with a dip stick. When I installed the front blade I had to purge air from the new hydraulic circuit and sure enough the level in the sight glass disappeared.

So I went off to the dealer to get a quart of the right stuff and by the time I got back the level was back up where it belonged.

So I guess you should also let it sit for a while so everything can drain back and find equilibrium. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-10          63492

My owner's manual does not specify. In theory it should not matter that much as oil should be on both sides of a hyd. servo piston. As a rule, I check mine with the loader bucket leveled and on the ground & tractor on level ground, all other servo's full down. Cold, the oil should be in the middle of the oil sight glass gauge or in the middle range of dipstick. You definitey need to check the trans. oil level whenever you install or remove equipment that plumbs into the hyd. system as any air the hyd. sytem displaces will take some oil from your tractor's system. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-10          63530

I like to check things when cold. That way the oil is not expanded from heat. It might show a little low the first time but if a leak occurs then you have some extra fluid there. The implements should always be in the same position but it still shouldn't make a lot of difference. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2003-09-10          63542

The implements should be on the ground. If the level is above the add mark, it is ok. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-11          63565

The 3ph cylinder isn't a double acting cylinder and would make a difference, but probably not enough of one to worry about. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-11          63596

All hydraulics should be in a resting position when the measurement is taken.

It doesn't matter if the cyclinder is single or double acting, it will still take hydraulic fluid from the reservoir in anything but the fully retracted position. The volume is NOT the same on both sides of a hydraulic cylinder, this is why a cylinder will always develop more power on the 'extend' stroke than it will on the 'retract' stroke.

Best of luck. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-12          63661

The thing about unequal volumes in double acting cylinders is a good distinction to make. I didn't make the connection in this context. By habit, I set the 3ph on the ground and fully retract all double acting cylinders, which should put max oil volume in the reservoir. Most systems likely have enough tolerance to slightly over-filled reservoirs that no problem will result if I forget to do it though. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-12          63674

Generally over-fill situations are very temporary in nature.

As soon as you start the machine up a certain amount is drawn up into the system as circulating fluid before any work is actually done. Then before the machine starts to roll, the loader (if so equipped) and the 3pth will be lifter into a 'travel' position further reducing the volume of fluid in the reservoir.

Some of the HST machines we see in use here have been modified to add aditional fluid capacity, the theory being more fluid equals better heat dissipation. This is particularly true of high load, low speed operations such as road-side grass cutting. A lot of these machines are equipped with side mounted flail-type mowers. Some of them have stand-alone hydraulic systems, but they still create a tremendous amount of heat just creeping along the road all day.

A firewood producer near my cottage also had to add an auxillary reservoir to his machine to keep it cool enough pulling a trailer full of wood out of the bush.

Best of luck. ....

hyd trams oil level

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-12          63680

My understanding of a single action 3 pt. lift cylinder at least on my tractor is that it only functions in a single direction with power. No cylinder piston makes a perfect seal and thus, hydraulic fluid is able to seep past the piston seals into the non-pressurized side of the lift piston. In order to prevent hydraulic lock and potentially exploding the cylinder or bending the piston rod should hydraulic relief valve fail, oil from the non-pressurized side of the piston must be vented off. Oil is indeed on both sides of the lift piston. Exactly how much is in question at any particular time. If this did not occur, the cylinder would go into hydraulic relief if too much oil was on the opposite side of the piston. I verified this with one of the John Deere mechanics at the dealer as well as my John Deere shop maintenance CD pg. 748. I agree that there is not enough oil in this cylinder to effect transmission lever more than a negligable amount. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login