Go Bottom Go Bottom

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-02-08          24037

Just tried my Curtis blade for the first time. Heavyyyy wetttt snow when I arrived home tonight. Probably six inches or so and raining on it still. Tractor slid around with chains on all fours. It actually bogged down at full operating rpm trying to move the piles. Only thing I don't like about this setup is that when you put the loader into float, you loose all steering with it (along with the front wheel traction). You have to guess where the heigth ought to be and start plowing, then adjust as you go. Still in all, was much better than just the back blade. A bit off the subject, any opinions out there regarding a Jeep Cherokee as compared to a Grand Cherokee? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Rob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-09          24044

Cutter, the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee use essentially the same mechanicals in the drivetrains. Grand may offer a higher level "quadra-track" or whatever they call it. They differ mainly in style and creature comforts. Cherokee is a design going back to '85 or so and Grand has only been around since the early/mid '90s. Cherokee was supposed to have gone away when Grand came, but sales remained high. The design bucks have gone into Grand and Cherokee will be replaced any day now by the "Liberty". "Liberty" (KJ) is more like a stretched Wrangler with four doors. My wife and I really like it. Oh yeah, no manual tranny in Grand. We owned an '95 Cherokee and would have bought a Grand but wanted a stick. The Cherokee was a blast but two kids have steered us temporarily into a minivan. Not a single minivan available in the US with a stick. Can't wait for the kids to get a little bigger so we can get back into a "real" vehicle!

Hope this helps, Rob. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2001-02-09          24045

Cutter,

Do you have a digital camera so you could take a couple pitures for me? I am building my own, and am looking at how the plows attach to the frame to allow tripping and adjustment for angle of the plow(contact angle with ground, not the right-left-straight angle). I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could.

Cherokee: simple, boxier, good vehicle. I bought a 94, have a 160,000 miles on it, no major repairs and still going strong. (Gotta love those I-6's)

Grand Cherokee: Cushier, more refined, better ride. Other than that, I think the powertrain is the same.

If you want a Cherokee, jump now. 2001 is the last year for them! They are being replaced by the Liberty, which I think is pretty funny looking. More like a Rav 4 looking thing, kind of.

Feel free to email me if you want to ask more! ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-02-12          24157

Craig, I'm glad the pictures helped. Like I said, the down pressure on the Curtis setup screws up my steering more than I thought it would, so if you can build yours to use the weight of the plow for pressure and keep the lift chain for the "float and lift" operation it would be better than a new Curtis. Good luck with the project. By the way, the wife just bought the Cherokee Limited tonight. She felt the Grand was just too big for her, guess that's why they call it the Grand, huh? The rebate jumped another $500 so I suppose that helped her decide. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Murf

2001-02-13          24183

We modified our plows (which are pickup plows on quick-tatch plates) to 'self-level' the loader. The modification, although sounding complex, is remarkably simple and like most simple things works VERY well, especially in heavy wet snow or slush. All I did was mount a two way valve unit on the tractor side of the quick-tatch unit, this valve connects to a rod down to a normal plow skid shoe. When the ground rises or falls the loader frame raises and falls to follow keeping the plow about 1" clear of the ground (although adjustable by changing rod length) and can be locked out from the operators position so that 'stacking', etc. can still be done normally. This setup keeps enough weight on the front end to maintain traction and steering. Cost, about US$300 and a couple hours time in the shop playing with it. Best of luck. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
david seidner

2001-02-15          24256

Does anyone know where just the quick-attach plates can be purchased.
I have a few different attachments i would like to fabricate.
Could make plate myself but looking to save some time.
thanks
david s ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
cutter

2001-02-15          24265

David,
I was told they aren't sold seperately, I can't believe a dealer wouldn't be able to get you some though. They really don't impress me much, I thought they would be one peice units but instead are two pieces of flat steel cut to shape and drilled out. They are then welded to the push bar loader frame. ....

Curtis plow

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2001-02-16          24281

David, I am not sure what you mean by quicktach plates? I have fabricated my own quick tach implements. What I do is take a pipe, 1 1/4" ID, cut it in half(half circle) and weld it to my implement so it cradels the round rod at the top of the loader arm quicktach and then reinforce with an extra piece of 1/4" plate over top just like on the buckets. Easy to do and works well. I made a set of forks like this and have had no problems with it even when having enough weight to make the back of the tractor "uncomfortably light". Am making a loader mounted snow plow right now the same way. I found that you can buy the bottom pins to weld on from JD, but they cost $10 a piece. I prefer to go to Tractor Supply and buy thier bolt on pins for $2.00. They are pretty close in diameter. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login