Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gramatical Plow Humor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-13          61784

How do you spell plow? PLOW or PLOUGH. Both are correct but the later spelling sure seems like it would be pronounced "pluff". Anyway I have been looking at that section title for a long time and just had to get this off my chest. ;-)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gramatical Plow Humor

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-13          61796

"How do you spell plow? PLOW or PLOUGH. Both are correct but the later spelling sure seems like it would be pronounced "pluff". "

You mean like DOUGH? :) ....

Gramatical Plow Humor

View my Photos
Murf

2003-08-14          61826

I think I ru the risk of starting an international incident here, but let me see how gently I can put this and without intending any disrespect to my NEIGHBOURS to the south, LOL.

I was politely but firm taught as a youngster by my Grandmother (who was a school teacher back in merry old England) that there was a DIFFERENCE between they way we, in Canada or the UK, speeled certain words, and the way they were spelled in America.

Most importantly she taught me that neither were wrong, just DIFFERENT. Sort of like a different dialect of the same language.

Ever since then I have noticed the difference between "English" and "American English", a few examples come to mind;

neighbour - neighbor
cheque - check
colour - color
plough - plow

Best of luck. ....

Gramatical Plow Humor

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-14          61827

Murf...... LOL!!!!!!! No offense taken. Your diplomatic skill and finese are unpresidented. I was thinking that maybe there may be some kind of story behind the two spellings. ....

Gramatical Plow Humor

View my Photos
Murf

2003-08-14          61841

Chief, it was actually intended to be just a little tongue in cheek, in fact I was going to slip in the difference between the British and American pronounciation of "Lieutenant" but since it is spelled the same, just pronounced VERY differently it just didn't work.

As for the origin of the difference between the two words, and most others too, it was attributable to one of two causes. With the 'historic' differences, it was because a formal education was something that was very expensive centuries back, and so only the very wealthy could afford it, and it was the 'uneducated' working-class who left Britian for America, so they just spelled it however they felt like it, whereas in Braitian they maintained the historical 'right' way of spelling it which was from the Olde English. As for the more 'modern' changes, they are mostly attributed to convenience, 'check' is easier than 'cheque' to teach, remember or write.

Best of luck. ....

Gramatical Plow Humor

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-14          61842

That is exactly the way I took it. Got a good laugh out of it! You have Churchillian sense of humor! He is one of my favorite historical figures. ....

Gramatical Plow Humor

View my Photos
Peters

2003-08-14          61847

Lexicongraphic Plough Humour ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login