Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rocks

View my Photos
lakeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-08          59148

I have a tiller question. I need to till 2 - 3 acre feilds to make a lawn out of one and a food plot out of the other. It has some small rocks 2-4" in diameter. I posted this under implements and I was told that the tiller would get damaged by doing this. Is not the way to do it. I ahve already purchased the tiller but don't want to ruin it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rocks

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-08          59153

We purchased our last house new and it had no landscaping and lots of rocks. I paid a landscape guy to come in with a "Rockhound" and pull the rocks out of the soil. It looks kind of like a tiller that rotates in reverse, kicking material into a mesh basket. The stones were too big to fall through the mesh but the soil seemed to fall right through. It wasn't 100% effective but he seemed to get about 80-90% of the rocks off the top few inches of soil. You might call a few landscapers and see what they would charge for a one time job like this.

Rocks

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-08          59161

If it is hard pan not recently tilled soil, and 2-4" rocks are NOT small rocks to a pto tiller; you may want to have someone plough and disk the area first to break up the soil for you. This will allow you an opportunity to pick many of the rocks out. The previously suggested solution sounded pretty cool! I have no experience with the Rock Hound. ....

Rocks

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-09          59188

I don't know that I would worry about some rocks. We have some rocks here in central NY but I would normally recommend a tiller to anyone with a garden. Just use some common sense and move the big ones out of the garden area so you won't be seeing them again. Tillers will work, try a lower speed initially, that means both ground and engine speed! try running it at about 1500 engine or 300max on PTO speed. ....

Rocks

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-29          67496

I work in landscaping, a rock hound only removes rocks from the first to second inch of ground. The rocks can only be in the 3/4" to the 4" size or it will do some damage to the teeth. The smaller rock go through the holes. Also stopping and shaking the rock hound, so the dirt comes out helps. Best to make 2 or 3 passes in different directions. Its for making a seed bed, not removing rocks from a garden. I would use the plow and disk method, or run the tiller at a 2 inch deep passes until you hit your desired depth. Do this at a really slow speed to advoid breaking the tiller, by the way who built it, some brands can take more abuse than others. ....

Rocks

View my Photos
loghouse95
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-29          67505

I live in the Missouri Ozarks so believe me when I tell you we grow the best rocks in the country.... I have a nice size garden and Have never had any problems tilling it each year just take it slow and you should not have any problems either. I have used the same tiller(TROY_BILT) for 20 years and have never broke anything.. So good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login