Go Bottom Go Bottom

Instead of a Rotary Tiller

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-26          106857

Like some other people here I'm searching for a tiller, new or used. Preferably used due to cost factors, but that's another story. So I'm wondering if I can achieve the same goal with bountiful used implements. What I accessed that I would need; 1 or 2 bottom plow, small disc, and small harrow. Would this be sufficient? What would I be able to get away without or instead of? Plows and discs are usually for sale, I haven't seen too many small harrows though. Any input would be appreciated. What benefits would doing one over the other have?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-26          106859

Stephen
What are you trying to accomplish? Is this food plots for hunting. Gardens? or actually farm production fields?
Harwood is still in farming I believe and is more than likely up on those practices. Food plots on the other hand are similar but may use different paths to accomplish the same thing. Being no profesional I will throw in my .02 worth. See my pics for my results last year.
I have every thing you talked about except the tiller. Guess what? The tiller is my next purchase. The tiller will replace all your former mentioned tools. Here are a few reasons to by that tiller and forget the other things.
With out a tiller you better have some time on your hands.
You have a timothy field and are ready to replant. You spray it with round up,(not a necessity with a tiller but is ideal) wait 2 weeks. run your tiller thru it to make a near perfect seed bed. Wait a few more weeks for any new weed seeds you brought to the surface to germinate. round up that field one more time and the next day you are ready to spread the seed lighty incorporate with any old bed spring or spring tooth harrow or chain link fence etc. (as long as it is not seed that needs to be too deep) you done! You could cultipack if you have one but not a necessity.
IF you have the other tools. Ideally you would spray with roundup. You have to wait till the moisture is perfect and then plow. The your problems start. you tractor is limited with the disk you can pull. the weight to disk ratio should be 100 pounds per disk and you will never even get close. yes after many passes you will be able to achieve this but like I said after many passes. Proceed as usual after that
I am not saying you cant do it the older way, heck farmers used the 8n's for many years just the tiller makes life so much easier and your seed bed will be perfect. I wish I would of spent my money on a KingKutter tiller last year before spending all kinds of money on other tools.
Your KK tiller will run you $1400 including tax at the most! 5'tiller brand new, slip clutch etc.
Your 2 bottom plow used will be 2-4 hundred more than likely, disk? The sky is the limit 100-800 depending on your luck and the shape its in. your drag or harrow the same as before depending on your time spent looking or your luck in finding it. IMHO The tiller will last you for a heck of a long time and will give you many options for different uses. (Not to mention you will make a ton of new freinds) If I were in your position I would not even think about the other options. Stephen, thats just my opinion and that is from experiance with food plots. I am as cheap as they come and have learned the hard way so many times its pathetic. What you save in money is not worth the time and effort nor the hassel of using all the other impliments not to metion the space they take up.
What ever you choose I wish you the best.
Brokenarrow ....

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-26          106863

Dude,
Thanks alot! You sure answered alot of questions, some I didn't even think of asking. Your pretty much dead on with those numbers. I posted the message before I called a guy in the paper who had the implements. 1 bottom plow - $175; 2 bot - $450 (claims it's new); 5 1/2' disc - $495; 10' harrow - $150 (said I'd only have to use 2 sections). KK Tiller new at TSC ~ $1200+ tax.
I've always been something of a purist but hey, they were invented for a reason.
Good luck with your moving decision, sounds exciting but stressful. Such is life. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-02-26          106875

All this tiller talk, here is my $50 solution. I had a bush hog and bought two very large pry bars from Harbour Freight Co. Drilled two holes on either side of the 3 point frame on the bush hog and attached the pry bars with saddle bolts to the front of the hog so that the pry bars extended 10" below the hog when it was lowered. Then drove the tractor with the bush hog lowered so that the pry bars dug in to the soil with the weight of the bush hog and I could lift them when the clay got too stiff. OK it took an hour to till a 30' x 30 section just going round and round and in figure of 8's etc., but it worked damn well and I didn't need to lay out n$1400 for a tiller just $ 10 in extra fuel. Unless you are tilling a large area a 3 pt tiller just cannot be justified, you are better off getting a sub soiler or pry bars as I did. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-02-26          106876

Would be interested to know how compacted the soil is below the 10" depth of your pry bars with all that driving around and around!!

Just the otherside and perhaps a question worth considering!!

Personaly a one pass tiller like the Landpride is worth the money!!

Link:   A Quality Tiller Here

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-02-27          106903

StephenR; Either system will get the job done but will require different preparations. A moldboard plow does have an advantage of turning under greater amounts of old crop residue that will clog a tiller. If the plow leaves the soil pretty rough then a disk and harrow will be needed after the plow and each pass adds back to the compaction you were trying to relieve in the beginning. As was said before mowing the aeria first then spraying with roundup at least a couple weeks ahead of tiller use will produce a very nice seedbed in one pass. With either machine wait till the soil is good and dry, working it too wet makes either big clods with a plow or marble size ones with a tiller. My vote goes to the tiller. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-02-27          106925

I use my 6' power box rake (aka Harley rake)like a 'tiller. And it works great for removing rocks too as it digs hem out and rolls them ahead or off into a windrow. I tilled my buddys' gardens with it with good results. I can also regrade my 1100' gravel road with it--even when it's slightly frozen--like now! ....

View my Photos
WVTC33

2005-02-27          106939

Stephen,
I have to agree with brokenarrow on this one.
I bought my 5' KK gear driven tiller and slip clutch new at TSI last spring for under $1000. (10% discount if you signed up for their credit card at the time). I use it for gardens and food plots in heavy WV red clay. I average a minium of 1/4 acre per hour to a max. of 1/2 acre per hour, depending on how deep I am tilling. I follow that with seed and a fourwheeler pulling a piece of chain link fence. If you have some helpers along you can cover a lot of ground in a day.
I am looking forward to spring to get started again, we have app. 3 miles of logging roads I want to seed, plus two more 1/2 acre well sites.
The tiller is the a little expensive, but will make shot work of these kind of small to moderate size jobs if you can swing it.
Don't forget to pull and run soil samples before starting, your local state extension office will run these for free, at least they do here. Getting it right the first time can save a lot of money in the long run.
And as brokenarrow said, when people see you have a tiller, everybody wants to be your friend.
Gerald C. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-02-28          106965

"And as brokenarrow said, when people see you have a tiller, everybody wants to be your friend."

Maybe I can park the tractor and tiller in the front of my property with a "For Hire" sign on it. No better friends than dead green presidents in your pocket. ;^) ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-01          107053

ROTFLMAO!!!
Dead green Presidents!
Good idea ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-03-02          107128

I use that term with no intended disrespect for our founding Fathers. ....

View my Photos
glocknut30

2005-03-03          107216

May I offer an opinion?

Last year I tilled only with a 3PH 66" unit. This year I used my double bottom plow and then tilled with the same unit.

My results this year are far superior to the tiller alone. Yes, I had a lot of trash to bury and the plow took care of that easily. Last year I made many passes with the tiller to prepare the beds. This year it only took one pass with finer results.

So the moral of this story? BUY BOTH! You can NEVER have too many toys, er, um, I mean tools! Yeah, that's it! What I meant to way was Tools!

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-03-03          107223

All this tiller talk has my blood running hot!

I went Tiller shopping last Saturday. Here are the options so far:

Land Pride RTR-1542-31 (with slip clutch +$50) - $2300
Woods GTC52 - $1295
Frontier RT1150 - $1575
Deere 647 - $1625

The Woods and Frontier appear to be the front runners in price. While I'd like to go Frontier (my JD sells those), saving $300 with the Woods is attractive.

Any reaction to the pricing I've received? Any thoughts on Woods vs. Frontier? Some of you have the KK tiller. Do you like it? Any help will be appreciated.

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-03-03          107224

I have already bought the 2 pry bars and associated hardware for $100 and put the remaining $2200 in my kids' college fund. Whats is best is that the vegetables grown in the garden don't know the difference. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-03-03          107226

I'd still go with the Land Pride, look at all the others and I'm sure you can get a price more comfortable to help in your decision price!! But You won't regret owning one!!

Dean

Edit: Because I screwed up when I misspelled "Decision" ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-04          107279

Right now at farm and fleet a 5' (60") KK tiller is going for $1,199. I have never heard a bad comment about the KK tiller for anything but the paint job. I would look at it like this. Your going to use your tiller about how many times a year? NOT many right. (unless your going into a buisness you wont use it that much) Why pay any more than you have to? You can always paint it green and feel like its the more expensive one. A rotory cutter may be a different story but we are talking about a tool we will use less than 10 times a year.
Ann
Take it one step further and for that $1200 he could get out there with the fork and spade and work it off. LOL
Go buy a tiller all you need is for one of those tire irons to get pinched break off and hit you in the back of the head!
OOPS got to go the wife is comming!!!!!!
lol ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-04          107294

The King Kutter tillers work real good. I would probably choose the King Kutter II gear drive tiller over the XB series. But thats just my opinion.
After seeing how well my KK tiller has worked and held up over the last 5 years I personally see no need to spend a lot of extra $$ on a tiller.
I painted my tiller to match my tractor (cost me around $5 in paint). See my picture #1. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2005-03-05          107297

If you want to save a few of those dollars on a new unit. KK also makes a 4' unit a few hundred cheaper. Under $1k before the steel prices hit the roof.

The 4' unit sits offset to one side, so it covers my right tire track on the 5' wide tractor. Since this is a seldon used tool, the loss of width wasn't a big deal (one extra pass for every 20' of garden width). Especially when you compare it to a good, rear tine, walk behind tiller only 20" wide at about the same price or more.

With the money I saved on the 4' model, I bought a sub-soiler for tearing up tree roots and poping small stumps. ....

Link:   Troy Built 20" Tiller

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-03-05          107322

I'm kicking around the 4' vs 5' tiller. It is only a couple hundred bucks cheaper, but then it's a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I'm defenately going with the KK, I'm very pleased with their rotaty mower and everybody here seems pleased with their KK stuff too. I like the idea of plowing and then tilling and I see 1 and 2 bottom plows around fairly cheap. Thanks everyone. ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-03-05          107331

Those of you with a KK tiller. If you need service where do you go? In my area Fleet Fram doesn't service things to my knowledge. I looked today and they don't have any tillers in stock, but then it's not officically spring in Wisconsin either. It this the kind of product that they buy 5-10 of and sell out. Any experiences? I'm leaning toward the Woods GTC52 Tiller right now. ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-03-05          107332

While I'm at it - what does anyone know about Rhino Tillers? My JD carries them along with JD and Frontier. While he didn't steer me that direction I did look at them on line and they seem pretty solid. I'm looking for something for my JD 2210 so the 48" would work nicely.

I never see anyone talking about Rhino - is there a reason for that? ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-05          107340

bmeyer,
If you need someone to service your implements for you buying from a local dealer would be best.
All my KK attachments came from Tractor Supply. If I ever have a problem I fix them myself. ....

View my Photos
gozarian

2005-03-06          107348

Hey DK35vince, I have been reading your posts and I have also been looking real hard at the Kioti DK35 tractor. As with most of the manufacturers, there is a breaking point in their lineup! I've noticed a big difference in the CK30 and the DK35. Kubota separates the "men from the boys" when they go up to their Grand L series as well.

Are you still happy with your DK35? I've been wondering what the "noticeable" difference is between the HST models and the gear models...........I don't mind shifting!

Probably the best price I have found going for the horsepower dollar is the Kioti and Mahindra tractors. When I buy, it will be one of the two. The Kubota L3130 and L3430 are really awesome tractors...........but are they worth the extra price? The John Deeres's are lightweight and over priced in my opinion.

I plan on doing a lot of snow removal in the winter (wet heavy snow in southeast Alaska) and landscaping in the summer. Seems the DK35 might be a better way to go over the CK30 HST for heavy jobs. What do you think?

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-06          107364

Yes,
I've been real happy with my DK 35, it has worked very well and been very reliable for me so far.
The hydro transmissions are a little easier on the operator if you have a lot of loader work(forward/reversing) or mowing in tight areas. They also cost more..
The shuttle type manual transmissions work quite nicely also,but they do require a little more effort from the operator in tigh areas or loader work.
The CK 30 is a nice machine availible in hydro or sycro shuttle. Has the curved hood and loader.
The DK 35 has 5 more HP, slightly stronger lift capacities, draft control,and extendable lower link arms on the 3 point. They also cost a little more.
I think either machine would work fine for what you plan on doing..

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2005-03-07          107416

What is funny the Rhino tillers are made by Sicma and so are the current JD tillers. The Frontier tillers are made by Maschio. You might want to check out the CCM Gear Drive tillers. They ship nationwide and are heavier made that most tillers sold in the USA at great prices. ....

Link:   CCM Gear Drive Tillers

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-03-07          107474

Ironpeddler,
I never realized the many companies that make Tillers! The more I look the more confused I get. I have the Rhino brochure and they look very nice and seem to be comparable to the JD, Woods, and Frontier. But the CCM you suggested looks very good on line as well and seems to be built stronger. It appears to be a bit cheaper as well. Can I see one in Central Wisconsin?? ....

View my Photos

2005-03-07          107497

B Meyer

I would suggest checking out the Kutter King model
they make a 5 and a 6 foot for sure. I run my 5 footer
with a 24 hp kubota and it has no problem. I have found
the Kutter to be very well built, as I have extremely
rocky soil. Have probably used it over 100 hours last
year with no breaks. Just changed the oil and continually
lubed. For the money NOTHING comes even close
doc ....

View my Photos

2005-03-07          107498

Kutter King tiller (5 foot)

Fleet farm is selling these at this time for $1090.00
Not sure if you need to pay tax or not,but is only
another $60.00 or so. Slip clutch and the works

doc ....

View my Photos
JBarron

2005-11-17          119455

Are you using the 5ft. King Kutter II or XB tiller? I've got a B3030 and am trying to decide on a tiller.

Johnny ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-11-17          119468

JBarron,
Your B3030 will run the 5' King Kutter II with no problem.
I feel the KK II tillers are are a heavier/better built tiller than the XB tiller.
I've owned a KK II tiller for 5 years with no problems. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-11-18          119518

I'd be looking to go a little smaller on width for a 2210 as it should be about a 42". ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-11-18          119520

I bought a 51 inch Woods Tiller in spring. I couldn't be happier! It works well with my 2210. The tractor has plenty of power for it and the I-match makes hooking-up a breeze. It's amazingly quiet. You can see it in my pictures.

Don't limit yourself to 42 inches. You'll want the wider width to hide tire tracks and to get close to edges, etc.

B. Meyer ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-11-19          119543

It depends on the soil type and condition. At my home garden spot, my TC29 easily pulls a 5' tiller through the sandy soil (that has been worked a couple of years in a row). At my pumpkin farm 10 miles away, the same tractor struggles because of the heavier soil and some fresh plowing. Of course it will do an adequate job, we just have to go very slow sometimes.

By the way, the narrower tillers will usually offset so that you can cover your tracks or get close to edges.

All in all, I'd be happy with either a 4' or 5' tiller; a 5' is just what is available to me right now.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login