Go Bottom Go Bottom

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-12          132048

GAS LINE PROBLEM

Snagged my gas line and it pulled apart under ground.
Can't find where it came apart under there.

Need suggestions on how to find where it was connected together?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-12          132049

Call the gas company before you blow up the whole neighborhood!! NOW!!

Then be prepared to take it in the shorts for digging near an unmarked gas line.

They do mark the lines for free, you know. That would have save you alot of headache. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-12          132051

Once you have the gas shut off, well... not sure how you find where it broke. Maybe use some water to see if you can locate bubbles.

If you don't want to live forever or long, you could use a lighter to look for the gas. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-12          132053

Also be prepared for a bill from the gas company.

Every gas company I've ever dealt with has a strict policy, if you hit an unmarked gas line, it's there problem.

If you don't call for a *FREE* mark-out, it's on your bill to fix it.

They have a nifty solution for those that don't want to pay the bill too. They shut off the gas untill you do!!

Best of luck. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-12          132055

Guys thanks for the replies.

Problem Solved my next door neighbor who retired from the gas company after 35 years helped me find it.

BTW it was my gas line not the Gas Companies. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-12          132056

Hang on a second, when you say "gas line" do you mean a natural gas line bringing gas to your property from the gas company?

If that's the case I would respectfully say it is *not* your line.

The standard gas contract (when you signed on as a customer) says they own the pipe and the meter, it is only yours past the meter.

Either way it's a risky proposition to play with a gas line, especially for a retiree from the gas company. The liability is enormous, and could result in the gas company terminating his pension, among other things!!!

Best of luck. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-12          132057

MURF
I have a gas tank that runs my gas range. The 1/2" copper line is buried from the tank to the house. This copper line is my line I own it and maintain it. I can rip it up or replace it. This maybe Ibrown59's case. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-12          132058

Absolutely a possibility, which is why I asked if it was a *natural* gas line from a company's gas line.

Propane lines on private land are privately owned, I am aware of that, all of mine are such. I have a bulk tank that feeds several items including the pool heater and the generator.

I still think I'd rather have a pro. do the repair (read: someone with liability insurance in case my house goes boom!!) for me.

Best of luck. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-12          132060

The first tank they put in for me was under ground it popped up like a bad memory. When the gas company came out to address the problem, it was found out that the tank would not stay in the ground for what ever reason. They put the tank above ground and two weeks later I smelled gas. They came back out and discovered the tank had a hole. Gas was leaking out, and they did not seem to care. They put a new tank above ground put the old one on the truck leaking like hell and told me there was no danger of blowing up. All were happy and world peace was restored.LOL ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-12          132062

The gas line is definitely my line as it's on my side of the meter.

For over 40 years I have always done my own personal plumbing as well as the plumbing for my company Budget Homes Co. that I owned for over 30 years.
So I have had a little experience running gas and water lines.

As for my neighbor he worked for the local gas company for over 35 years as their pipe line welder and the last 10 years before he retired as their construction crew supervisor.
He was probably their most experienced employ when he retired.
I don't think I could have gone anymore professional than that!

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-12          132063

Your guys are a BLAST.

There is no doubt a build up of gas is dangerous.

Safe way to check fittings for gas leak is with soap water such as dishwashing detergent solution. If it bubbles there is a leak. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-12          132070

Your guys are a BLAST.
kthompson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This could be taken 2 ways?

Which one did you have in mind?

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-12          132072

lbrown59,

Probably the second way. Now if something goes kaboom I meant the first way. Glad your issue turn out well. Did you tell how you found the spot and I missed it?

By the way SG, did you try using the leaking gas to get the cat from under the house? The above ground hole was not from your shooting at the cat was it?

The tank popping up probably was due to the coastal area's high water level. A station in my town put in large underground tank on side of small hill. Lots of rain hit and up it came. Local cemetary had to be moved for same reason, rain came down and the caskets came up.

Again, I am very happy it turned out well and safe.

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-07-12          132077

Larry, if this was such a non-problem, why post?

Oh, yeah. Nevermind. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-12          132078

Did you tell how you found the spot and I missed it?
kthompson
=============

No I didn't but here is how I found it.

I tore out about a 6 foot section from where the line came up out of the ground.
I marked out a radius with aluminum paint of 6 feet from where the pipe came out of the ground.
I knew the line under ground had to be within that 6 foot circle else the section I tore out would never have ranched the part of the line sill under ground.
The only thing I didn't know was how deep!
Next I laid out the torn out line in the path I felt would most likely be the way that piece of line was installed originally.
At the end of the line I painted a 2' square with aluminum paint with the end of the line centered in the square.
This gave me what I figured was my best guess of what area of the 6 foot circle the buried line was in.
Now I was ready to Start Digging.
My neighbor watched the Back Hoe Bucket as I dug starting in the 2 foot square area I'd marked out with the paint.
We found the undamaged line on the third scoop with the BH.

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-12          132080

It may have been done between the cats and armordillas. No the tank was an old one that they thought they could bury in the ground. When it popped up and they put it above ground it got a hole in the bottom. Then again it was approx. a .222 hole well let me think about this. LOL ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-12          132081

I watched some professional gas utilities guys rip out an active 1" line to a home (I had already demoed) from an 8" main with a BH buried under the shoulder of a 4-lane highway. The guy watching was smoking and tossed the lit cigarette butt in the hole as gas spewed out. Totally in disbelief I asked what the f____ was he was thinking! He shrugged it off and said the gas has to get at least 6 feet above the hole AND hit an open flame for it to catch fire. Well okay then.

By the way when I got the demo permit from the city they told me and gave me supposed proof that the gas had been cut. Well it hadn't---in the middle of demoing the gas co. was called and they put a temp cap over where the meter was and took the meter. So I tore the house down with it on! The 2 weeks later the gas co. had the balls to show up again and finish disconnecting the gas---which is when they pulled out the line. Four weeks after that they sent me a bill for $400 for damaging their gas line and the meter! I called their legal department and stated my case. The legal guys agreed it was their fault and said forget about paying it. Kewl. ....

GAS LINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-15          132227

More fun water in gas line ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login