Go Bottom Go Bottom

Taskmaster 426 E Power Issue

View my Photos
kttaskmaster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-08-10          179758

I have a Taskmaster 426E that has power issues. Hydraulic lifts work fine. I recently added hydraulic and transmission oil (NAPA brand) into the front middle axle via the dip stick bolt opening. It has an small oil leak at the front drive axle. At start up, it will drive fine for about 5 minutes and then it comes to a creeping crawl, and if I hit the smallest of a grade, it literally stops moving. Never have changed the gear oil. Engine sounds good. It has 187 hours on it. What's my next move?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-08-10          179760

Re giving up after five min (which I assume you cannot overcome by giving more throttle), loosen the fuel-tank cap. If that doesn't help, troubleshoot the fuel system. Then I'd wonder about a hi-temp cutoff (but I don't know that brand).

Re the gear lube, hyd/trans fluid might leak more easily than the 90-wt gear oil that's often called for in axles.

View my Photos
kttaskmaster

2011-08-11          179761

I'll try the fuel cap, but am not very knowledgeable about the high temp cutoff. Is that something that is integrated with the thermostat? I've also drained the fuel tank and replaced the fuel filter. What else can I do to troubleshoot the fuel system? Thanks for the response! ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-08-11          179763

You've done the right things, so I don't know what the problem is. Some possibilities are remote:

-A plugged cap vent can lead to a tank vacuum that stops the fuel flow after running a while.

-Temp cutoffs are rare in small tractors and not likely to malfunction, but if it's Chinese, there are others here who know them better than I.

-Some fuel-filter elements are easy to install upside-down, which would slow and stop the flow.

-There's likely a fuel cutoff control, probably in the filter housing, to prevent leaking when changing the filter. Is it turned fully to on?

-Trace the throttle linkages to make sure that nothing has moved itself back to shut-off when the engine gets the problem.

-Could something be blocking the air in or out after running a bit? Try removing the air filter element and the exhaust pipe.

All that remains is the fuel system. The usual culprit is air in it (typically caused by inadequate bleeding) but I can't see it running for, did you say five minutes, especially at operating speed, before the air reaches the cylinders.

So here's what's left. When it bogs, momentarily disconnect the fuel at every stage to see if it's flowing normally. The problem may be at the engine end but the tests are simpler at the upstream end. That's tank out, filter in, and filter out (which can likely be done by opening the bleed port). The pump and injectors require more skills, and you should have a manual.

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-08-12          179796

Probably missing it but don't see where you say the engine is dying but the tractor is slowing to a crawl. Is the engine dying or there issue with the drive system?

If the engine would say Auerbach has you covered.

What kind of transmission does it have, gear or hydrostatic?

If the engine is slowing what happens if you depress get it out of gear? Does it pick back up slowly or not really or fast?

Are you running the four wheel drive on hard surface and the drive system binding causing it to slow?

Are you sure the brakes are released? Do you have the differential locked?

Do clarify is engine is what is slowing or travel. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-08-12          179797

The impression is all was fine until you added that oil. Is that correct? If it was then back up and look at what you did. Not to insult you but we all goof up. ....

View my Photos
kttaskmaster

2011-08-17          179882

No, the issue existed before I was able to find the oil plug for the front axle. This has slowly been progressing for about three months. I could run it fine for half hour or so, and then the tractor would come to a crawl (does not move) no matter how much I gave it gas. The engine does not shut down at all. I now can maybe run it for five minutes before it just doesn't move anymore. If it does, it will stop on a grade. The engine never shuts down-runs great. I loosened the fuel cap the day after it wouldn't move, and it ran for about a half hour GREAT, thought I had fixed it, and now it is back to usual. I have not had the time this week to start checking fuel lines, air filter, or fuel pump, but that is next. It does have a differential lock, but I have never touched it. Thanks for all your help! ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-08-17          179885

UTF doesn't belong in the front differential, it's too thin. When you get a chance, replace it with 80W90 gear oil. But I doubt the wrong oil in your front diff is related to the motion issue. You didn't mention putting fluid into the tranny/diff. You have checked the level(s) and topped up with the correct fluid haven't you? If you have a common sump (both tranny/rear diff and hydraulics share lube oil) then UTF is ok back there. But if tranny/rear diff and hydraulics have separate sumps, tranny/rear diff get same gear oil as front diff. Hydraulic sump gets AW32 or ISO32 hydraulic fluid.

When the tractor slows down and/or won't move anymore, do you notice an odor of something burning?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Grampsinnm

2011-08-18          179890

My tractor is a Taskmaster 425A but it came with manuals for the 426. Lube oils called for in manual, (Gearbox, rear axle, front drive axle and hydraulic system) (common sump) is N-46 transmission drive and hydraulic duel -purpose oil. Have seen where folks recommend the Mobile. Gotten somewhat off topic from original post. You might want to check your posts on another site for more suggestions on the original problem. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-08-18          179895

If the engine is not dying or slowing the problem is not with it. I think you have issue with the drive system. If manual transmission then clutch probably needs adjusting. ....

View my Photos
kttaskmaster

2011-08-18          179898

My manual says "Gearbox, rear axle, front drive axle, and hydraulic system" use N46 drive and hydraulic dual purpose oil. The only area I haven't checked is the rear axle.

Is there a possibility that the fluids are tied to the issue? I am digging in this weekend and see what I can do. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-08-18          179906

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttaskmaster | view 179898
Is there a possibility that the fluids are tied to the issue?I am digging in this weekend and see what I can do.
Not likely, but you need to top up anyway. Pretty sure you have wet brakes, a low fluid level could "dry" them out. Never actually heard of this happening, but in theory I guess wet brakes gone dry could possibly overheat and bind up.

Reason I asked if there was a burning smell you couldn't identify, it might be a clutch problem. But I'm also pretty sure yours is a dry clutch, so - if true - fluid levels don't come into play in this part of the tractor.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login