Go Bottom Go Bottom

Disabled cousin needs a mower

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-02          189899

I need your help. I have a cousin who was in major auto accident 10 years ago leaving him heavy disabled. He has no use of his legs, lost most use of his right arm and hand and he was left handed. He is wanting a lawn mower he can use.

He said he wants a mower with deck out front, joy stick control (wheel or two stick will not work) and four wheel drive (I think to help prevent getting stuck as he can not walk).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Snapper did make one but has stopped I understand.

Please do note he has not use of his legs so foot controls are also out.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-03          189903

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riders/r-322t-awd/
Case also made several, and then there are a lot of home made ones.
None have the specifications you have requested, but, i wonder if he can qualify for some type of assistance to have one modified for him ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-04-03          189906

Probably custom made is the only source, I doubt any major mower builder would want the liability or low sales volume involved.
Most anything is buildable, a lady in our community lost the use of both legs in a car crash. She always ran the combine to harvest their corn and soybeans. Someone, her husband, I think, crafted an elevator to get her up to the cab level in her wheel chair then modified any foot controls with levers. She ran it for several years till they retired.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-04-04          189915

Thanks.
In following up on some of your thoughts bumped into remote control mowers. Think that would be a very good option for him. He could remain in electric wheel chair and operator the mower. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-04-04          189916

Kenny,

There are certainly commercial mowers with one hand control systems. The problem will be that in order to achieve joystick control the machine must be hydrostatic drive since no one makes an electrical control for a mechanical drive system only hydraulic.

Also there will be no four-wheel-drive units like this only 2 WD since they use electrical control of the hydraulic flow to two wheel motors to achieve steering, speed and direction

However I personally would not be concerned about having only 2WD since this type of unit put both the engine and the operator over but to drive wheel. This offers quite impressive traction.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-04-04          189919

Just a follow up on the lady who ran the combine from a wheelchair. When they retired her husband built an elevator for her in their new house in town. It stopped at three levels, the main floor, the garage level, and the basement.
Several years ago I was put in charge of having an elevator installed in our Church by a commercial elevator company. A ton of legalities between a private elevator and a public use one. Even just our little Church elevator was subject to state inspection, we passed by the way.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2014-04-04          189920

KT you might try calling Bad Boy Mowers. They are not so big that they cannot make a custom built mower and certainly not a small operation by any stretch of the imagination. In the past, they have made custom made mowers for celebrity customers. Perhaps they can make one for your cousin.

I recently acquired a Bad Boy AOSD 7200 which is there flag ship zero turn mower that is equipped with a Caterpillar 4 cylinder diesel. It is built like a tank but rides like a boat on smooth water due to a bushing suspension system. It can cut circles around my John Deere F525 and the 4410 with mid mounted mower. The Grammar suspension seat is so comfortable.....even more so than my lazy boy recliner that it makes cutting the grass fun.

With 35 hp and 94 ft./lbs. of torque the engine can propeller this 1 ton grass monster upto 16 mph and STILL have a VERY nice cut.

If Bad Boy does or cannot make a custom mower, perhaps they can recommend someone who does. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login