Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland tractor will not turn over start

View my Photos
Browning
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-20          167598

I have a New Holland tractor, model 1925, yr. 1996. Worked it about 5 hours brush cutting. Drove it back to the barn. Following week, it will not turn over. I have checked all fuses, the wires under the left rear tire, the saftey fuel latch is working, battery is good, panel works(glow light, battery light, etc.). Could it be the clutch? How could I tell if the clutch is not operating? Putting it in neutral depressing the clutch, everthing comes on, engine will not respond.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-21          167602

My first guess would be a bad battery cable or ground connection of the battery cable. It don't take much to bring the dash lights on but the starter needs all the connections to be good to get enough juice to operate.
If you haven't already checked them I'd start there. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-21          167608

When you say it does not respond, what do you mean? Does it even click?

How do you know the battery is good? It could measure 12 volts but still fail under load. After checking for good, clean, uncorroded and tight battery cable connections on clean,bare metal I'd pull the battery and get it load tested. How old is it? ....

View my Photos
Browning

2009-12-21          167609

The battery is maybe 2 years old. The only reason I think the battery is OK, I put a battery charger on the battery for engine start. No response, meaning, the panel lights come on but other than that it does not click, no noise. Acts like a kill switch somewhere is in place. I will check the battery cable and clean the battery poles today and see what happens. Thanks for the info. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-21          167610

I don't know about this particular model but recent NH tractors have a history of problems with the ignition switch. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-21          167621

Most likely a new switch won't cure it. And if it does not for long. I have the same problem on my 2002 TC33D, and I have replaced 4 switches, and still happens. I just jump it right at the solenoid with coin or nail. PIA, yes but it works good as a theft deterrent. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-12-21          167623

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 167621
I just jump it right at the solenoid with coin or nail. PIA, yes but it works good as a theft deterrent.

Well, it did until you told everyone how to go around it. LOL

But I'm jis' sayin is all ol' buddy.......

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-21          167626

Doh! ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2009-12-24          167704

Browning-
Not sure on details to your tractor. I have a TC33D that on "Great" occaision will do nearly the same. Generally will not start after shutting off, or when i forget to fully lock brake and to get off tractor. Have to have all the "interlocks in the right spot" or tractor kills it self. I find the 'master' fuse (30 amp) on the back left firewall (as on my machine) has blown. Usual "murphy's law' it happens when out in field and no spares in tool box :-( - long walk back to barn [apologizes to Murphy ]. I've discussed this with the dealer and he's like 'that's weird' but can't duplicate in shop to alleviate issue other then to replace the fuses with one of the expensive auto rest fuses. ....

View my Photos
Browning

2009-12-24          167705

Thanks Woodie. My tractor also will blow the 30 amp fuse quite freqently. I carry a small tool kit on the tractor and I am now going to add fuses to the kit, your comment to a long walk back registered home to me. I meant to write a update to my particular problem. After testing out all the reccommendations it turned out to be the neutral saftey switch on my range lever. The trigger had broken and could not depress the button. 62 dollars and about 20 minutes labor my tractor started right up. Thanks to everyone that posted. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-25          167707

If by trigger you mean the thin metal actuator, if it happens again, try buying the whole switch or even the actuator from WW Graingers. - I was surprised when I needed 8 microswitches for my manlift. I figured $15-20 each. Nope. $3.75 each! And I found drive belts are HALF the cost there compared to Tractor Supply.

BTW, my TC33D's electrical is so messed up that it'll start in any gear. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-25          167708

EW;
First of all "Merry Christmas" and hoping you will forgive me for being a bit of a PIA to you about over things that normally are pretty tivial, but it is fun. I guess now in school they call that "Bullying" and I could get suspended.

Anyway is the big four inch thick Grainger catalog I get the same Grainger you are talking about? If so I've also found them to be cheaper on most things than TSC or the more locally owned farm supply stores on the same level as TSC. Grainger has a big store here that has most anything I've ever needed in stock. One locally owned farm store, I won't mention the name because I know the owner is about the same level price wise as a 711, handy but pricey. Aparently I've did enough business at TSC that I get their "sale" notices almost daily on the puter. Got one this morning about their after Christmas sale starting tomorrow. Hope Santa did well for you, he hasn't been here yet. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-25          167709

LOL Frank put in your dentures--the word is TRIVIAL with an R LOL.

Yup that's the one! Do your homework though. On big ticket stuff they like to charge suggested list price. For grins and giggles I found an electric concrete breaker online from another site that was $1000 cheaper. I printed out the ad, brought it in to them and they price matched it---just for asking! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-25          167710

When I put the electrical/plumbing/etc. in the new shop a few years ago Lowes had a deal that they would beat any Legitimate bid by 10% plus if you applied for their credit card they tossed off another 10%. They did beat Grainger by a country mile. ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2009-12-25          167711

I'm finding that Fastenal is also carrying a lot of tools now. I use them quite a bit now especial for the variety of nuts bolts and the like. Before finding them I've traveled over 60 miles looking for a few particular square headed bolts and nuts ( even tryed out of the way OLD time hardwares, too (-love going into them tho)). Only to find out, only Fastenal either have in stock or ordered in a day or two. I'm restoring some old equipment and trying to keep fastners looking like original.
Merry Christmas to all and a wish to all here on the board for a Safe, Healthy and prosperous New ear ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2010-09-05          173754

Just an update- had my TC33D in for some "overdue" service. I ask them to check the electrical system because of blowing the 30 amp main fuse, which had stopped doing that a few months back but was occaisonally now was blowing a 15 amp fuse in the fuse block on startup. I mentioned what I had read here on the chat board about a possible TSB and or using ""extra wires/relay"" etc(I don't do electrical stuff, I understand it etc - but had nasty experince when i was much younger-long story for another time). Well they installed per TSB a 40 amp slow blow and 'starter improvemnt kit'. Kit and fuse were $28 (labor not included.)
ALSO-for the hydro oil cooler in front of the radiator there is an "upfit kit" (hard pipe elbows) available to replace the rubber elbows - I stayed with the rubber ones ($28pair) vs the 'upfit' which they said where close to $80.
Sofar have started the tractor a handful number of times and (fingers crossed) there seems to be a marked improvement when it catches and fires without much cranking. ....

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2012-01-20          182130

Hi!

I know this is an old post--but I'm having starting problems. I have a NH T2210 (aka TC31DA). I am hoping it is just a weak battery. Any help would be appreciated--I have not had to trouble shoot this before. I have read most of the old posts regarding starting and need some more direction.

I checked the repair manual (which I find fairly useless!) It talks about the "pinion meshing but motor fails to turn" vs. "pinion shaft fails to advance." When I turn the ignition key to "on", all of the dash lights come on, the glow plug indicator lights and goes out. There is a faint click when I first turn the key and when the glow plug goes out--I figured it was the glow plug relay. How do I know if the pinion is meshing? When the key is turned to "crank" nothing happens--except my heart sinks. The battery was reading 13V at rest; 14-14.5 with a trickle charger on. I have read that a battery can test OK but really needs to be tested under load. I do not have a jumper box--yet.

It is cold and dark out now, I have not checked the fuses--the book lists a 15A fuse for "neutral start"--is that the one to check first?

We had weird weather here--52 one day and 5 over night; things got damp then a quick freeze. I read something about water getting in the starter selenoid--how common is that?

The way I have the tractor parked in the barn, I can't get my car in to jump start it (the car BTW is at the bottom of a snow and ice covered drive...:( ).

I have read about directly jumping the starter (to by pass the safety switches which may be stuck open) but I am a bit hesitant to do that without a little more direction or clarification of what that means. Is that jumping a cable from the POS pole on the battery to which--the starter or selenoid?

Sorry this is so wordy. Thanks for any thoughts. I am trying to get a game plan together so I can work on this in the morning.......I am hoping it is just the battery. Is 2-1/2 years old really that old for a tractor battery?

Mike ....

View my Photos
bill1949

2023-09-14          201731

I have a New Holland tractor model 1925 I have a new battery, cables are good, has new ignition switch, glow plug light and all come on but when I turn the key to start nothing happens I do not hear anything at all, no clicking nothing ,any help would be needed. Please let me know if you can help. Please e-mail me.
Thank You
Bill ....

View my Photos
Murf

2023-09-14          201734

Welcome to the group Bill.

From your description I’d start with safety switches, PTO is shut off, seat switch if there is one, HST pedal in neutral, etc, etc.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login