Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland TC33D Glow plug starter issue

View my Photos
rzlincoln
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-06          146594

For a while now I've had odd things going on with my starting. Sometimes when I turn the key on, the glow plug indicator light doesn't come on. Sometimes it does.

When I engage the key to start, sometimes all I get is one click(solenoid?) and no turnover. If I try 3 or 4 more times, it turns over. Sometimes it turns over fine on the first try.

The tractor always ends up starting, so it hasn't been a big deal. But I am putting the tractor up for sale, and want to make sure everything is in perfect working order.

I've seen a thread about the glow plug relay, and suspect that's part of the problem. But what might cause the intermitant starter problem?

I'm not much of a mechanic, so type slowly .

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-06          146595

My guess is a bad ignition switch. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-06          146596

Kwschumm,

I agree.

Joel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-06          146597

My 33D does the same thing. I have replaced the starter (at only 20 hrs) and the igniton switch three times over the past 500 hrs at about $30 per pop. I even permanently jumped the fuel solenoid too because that was not working anymore. Replaced the starter solenoid about a year ago too. Still doesn't want to start.

And the emergency/turn signals have a mind of their own. replaced that switch too. Still no good.

I've resorted to turning the ign. switch to Run then jump it at the solenoid. Now I have to wiggle the switch until the idiot lites come on, then jump it. The swicthes are not designed to be used in this application as the engine fan blows dirt right into the back of the switches since they are by no means sealed or even covered---the one before last had some black silicone globbed over it as a band-aid from the factory---didn't work. On the one I have now, I wrapped black electrical tape and added silicone and that lasted a bit longer.

I think it's time to replace my ignition switch AGAIN as needs wiggling.

I was told by another dealer that there is a safety interface control module that basically controls everything on it, including the lighting system.

I bought the $60 module but have not replaced it because the seat switch (which is also broken) and parking brake switch interface with it--right now I can get off the tractor while power raking (less than walking speed) with the cruise on and take a break and stretch, or pick up rocks while still being productive :)

Once I install the new module it will be like driving a new machine in that I will have to relearn how to operate with "safety" in mind LOL.

Was that s-l-o-w enough? ....

View my Photos
rzlincoln

2007-10-06          146599

Thanks.

Seems like a unanimous vote for the ignition sw.

That sounds easier than a new starter (I hope).

Do you think I should replace the glo plug relay also, as long as I'm at it?

Earthwrks, sounds like you've had some bad luck with your NH. Do you still like it? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-06          146600

Not so quick with replacing the just the switch; the switch replacement on mine didn't fix the glow plug problem nor the no-start. Before the switches really stopped working I still had to turn it four to ten times to get it to start. The issue I feel is the switch AND the control module.
If you replace the switch, you have to remove the lower side cowls anyway, so you might as well git-r-done while you're in there---everything is easy to reach and is tucked behind the right-hand cowling. And if you have spent any time in dusty conditions you will be amazed at how filthy the relays and all electricals are in there!

Like my blue? Of course! I really beat mine as I use it commerically and it stands up to the punishment. It's extremely durable aside from the electrical issues. But once it's running...LOL ....

View my Photos
rzlincoln

2007-10-28          147460

Still having some trouble with my starting. I replaced the ignition switch and glo plug relay. I thought I had it fixed when it operated fine a few times. But, it's back to it's old tricks. It still will occasionaly either not fire the glo plug, or needs the switch turned several times before the starter will engage.

When the glo-plug doesn't come on, the starer will still engage. (Of course it starts hard, being cold.) This makes me think it isn't be a safety switch issue. Could it be? If not, what's left?

Erthwrks, you mentioned a controller. I asked the service manager at my dealer about that, and he wasn't aware of any controller that would affect starting. His suggestion was just ignition switch. Do you have a part # for the controller you replaced? Has it fixed your starer issue?

By the way, the realys and ignition sw. were pretty clean on my tractor. At least some good news. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-28          147461

No but it's on the list. The module supposedly controls many things. Go to www.messicks.com and look up their number. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-28          147462

I want to say it's called a "safety module". Cost about $53 if I recall correctly. It's about 1.5" x 1" x .75 or there abouts. Mine's packed away until I get a "Round Tuit" ....

View my Photos
rzlincoln

2007-10-28          147467

I think I found the problem!! (For the glo-plug anyway.)
Used my favorite trouble shooting technique for intermittant problems- bang and wiggle on stuff until you get the failure. It seems the bolt holding the Glo Plug Controller (385870300) was a little loose. I could wiggle the contoller and get the glo-plug lamp to come on and off. I tightend the bolt for now, but expect to replace the controller ($44).

Hope this does it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login