Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loading R4 industrial tires

View my Photos
happytractor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-19          136073

If anyone out there has had experience with R4 tires being loaded or not loaded, please relate your comments and ideas,advantages or disadvantages to this. Also would you suggest doing the front tires as well as the rear wheels? I have a New Holland TC26DA, it weighs about 1600lbs.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-19          136087

Happy we need more info on why you'd want to load tires. I have a TC33D and it weighs if I recall correctly close to 3,000lb. including my butt. The owner's manual addresses loading. I use front suitcase weights so loading the tires hasn't been as issue for me. If you have a loader, get yourself a box blade for rear ballast and it's handy to level what you drop from the loader. That way you can drop it it when you want less weight for when you mow on nice wet grass without leaving ruts. ....

View my Photos
happytractor

2006-10-19          136089

earthwrks,I had just given it some thought that loaded rear tires especially without the loader attached would give me more traction in certain situations or ground conditions. I really could not use the ballast box obviously when pulling anything behind.Front weight I don't think would be needed with loader though only when pulling something without the loader attached. More comments please? ....

View my Photos
lencamp

2006-10-19          136090

I have a 2002 TC33D with loader and loaded rear R4s since new - $200 extra at the time. I don't know any different but I've never had any trouble with it.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-19          136102

I am not fond of liquid filled tires. If for no other reason than this: they are too heavy for you to service yourself in case of a flat.

I am stronger than the average guy and there is no way I can manipulate a 250+ pound tire well enough to get the lug bolts and the tire to match holes.

I have seen ballast boxes with trailer hitches on them.... if that is what you meant by needing to pull something.

If you look at my pics you can see what I did with some gym weights and a Bad River Hitch to get 400 pounds of rear ballast.

The whole thing drops onto a movers dolly when I take it off. It rolls right into the garage.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-19          136104

I had loaded R4s and replaced them with loaded R1s. No problems either way, but I believe in our hilly area they give superior stability with a lower CG than weights. I'd do it again. If it works, why change? Mark is right about service though, I'd have a tire guy come out to do the work. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-10-19          136107

I loaded my rear R-4s soon after I bought my tractor to make it more stabile doing loader work on uneven ground.
Prior to loading the rears, Even with the boxblade on the 3 point my tractor felt tippy/unstabile on uneven ground with a full bucket.
I loaded the rear tires with windshield washer fluid. Huge improvement.. Far more stabile doing loader work.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-19          136108

Vince: Have you checked the air pressure on hot or cold days? Windshield wiper fuild that I'm familar with contains methanol. For grins and giggles I found on the web one supplier. Specs: Contains 32% methanol! Boils at 180 deg., flash-fires at 92 deg. That's not something I'd want to have my tire guy working on while he's smoking or near a flame of any kind (what if you forgot to tell him?)---he's pissed enough at finding tire sealant in my tires, let alone a potential fire bomb. Then there's the incompatibility to about five of materials, some of which I believe are in tires and/or paint on the rims.

By comparison water boils at 220 degrees. Antifreeze flash-fires at 232 degrees.

But I'm jis' sayin' ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-20          136117

I got soured on using fluid in farm tractor tires a long time ago. Washer fluid may not be corrosive and all but still a big mess when you have a flat. I've got a home made weight bracket for the three point that uses conventional front end weights but is well above the drawbar and PTO so it dosen't interfere. In the winter I leave the box blade on not only for weight but sometimes it just works better to push some snow with it in reverse. Have a big day. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login