Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor won t start

View my Photos
outdoordon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-08          157120

Fuel filter's and water seperator's plugged up. Replaced and cannot get prime back. Tractor turn over just not start. Anyone have any suggestion's ?

Thanks,
Outdoordon

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor won t start

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-08          157122

Even a little air will stop the engine from starting.

If you have some WD-40 handy you can usually start it (with the help of another person) on that and keep it running on it long enough to purge the air from the system.

If not you need to just barely crack open each fuel line (one at a time) right at the injector while someone cranks the engine over. As soon as you get fuel coming out tighten it back up again.

I would suggest you put either booster cables off another vehicle, preferably a diesel pickup with a pair of big batteries, so you don't kill the battery, or put on one of those huge booster/battery chargers.

You will likely have to crank for a few minutes in total.

First check your manual though, some models have a lever or valve you can open to purge the air for you.

Best of luck. ....

Tractor won t start

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-08          157123

Murf is correct. You need to bleed the fuel system, much the same way you would bleed the brakes on your vehicle. Unless your tractor is equipped with a bleed screw on the pump, you'll have to do it by loosening each line at the individual injectors.

Be careful not to overheat the starter. The general rule of thumb is to run the starter for no more than 1/2 minute, and then allow five minutes between start cycles. This allows the starter time to cool down, so that you don't burn it up.

You shouldn't have to worry about burning out the starter if you slightly loosen one fuel line at a time, between start cycles. The time it takes to loosen each injector line is generally enough time to allow the starter to cool down.

Joel ....

Tractor won t start

View my Photos
outdoordon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-09          157133

Gentlemen thank's for the info. I thought that was what I need to do but it does not hurt to get a second and sometime's a third opinion. Won't be at the property for a couple week's although this is first on my list to try.

Thanks,
outdoordon ....

Tractor won t start

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-09          157134

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoordon | view 157120
Fuel filter's and water seperator's plugged up. Replaced and cannot get prime back. Tractor turn over just not start. Anyone have any suggestion's ?Thanks,Outdoordon

You may have to drain your tank to get rid of the reason the filters we "plugged up". Look and see if you have any more moisture in the there before you bother to bleed. kt ....

Tractor won t start

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-09          157136

Outdoordon,

You likely have a situation that will require a good deal of attention in order to eliminate the underlying problem with your fuel system.

Diesel fuel can be a headache when it comes to long-term storage.

Moisture buildup in the fuel system promotes the growth of bacteria....and that slimy stuff causes all kinds of problems with fuel systems in diesel powered equipment.

If your tractor is essentially in long-term storage throughout the year, it is HIGHLY important that you take the necessary steps to prevent any bacteria growth in your tractor's fuel tank, portable fuel cans, and any larger outdoor storage tanks.

Here's a good site to visit in the event that you have a problem with bacteria growth in your diesel fuel. See the link below.

If you have this problem, you'll need to take drastic measures to get the problem solved.

Due to the fact that you don't live or work on the same property where the tractor is kept, I believe this may be the biggest problem you're facing.

Joel ....

Link:   About Bacteria In Diesel

Tractor won t start

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-09          157137

Outdoordon,

I'm sorry. I was in a hurry and posted a link to a site that promotes the sale of one of their products.

While the information on the page I posted is good stuff to know, I did not intend to promote the product they are trying to sell there.

Here's a better link, which provides some useful information on bacteria in diesel fuel, along with a list of products that will help solve any problem.

Joel ....

Link:   Diesel Fuel Bacteria Problems

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login