Go Bottom Go Bottom

Massey Ferguson 1100

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-04          111947

I am looking at a Massey Ferguson 1100 that a local retiring farmer has for sale. Any comments good, bad, or the ugly would be appreciated. The machine has a John Deere FEL. I will have to check the serial # to determine the year tractor but the asking price is $5000 obo.

My John Deere 4410 is making some SLOW going cutting chest high field grass. I need a MUCH bigger tractor capable of handling a 10 ft. or larger brush cutter.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Massey Ferguson 1100

View my Photos
BrendonN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-05          111951

Price looks decent considering it has a loader. According to my info, the tractor was good for about 90hp and was built from '64 to '71. (I view long production runs as a good sign; they were not in any huge rush to get it replaced.) I have no experience with the 1100 but have put a number of hours on a MF1155. Nothing fancy or overly high tech, just a basic tractor that did the job. It is sure less expensive to go this route than an equal vintage Deere 4020, which often bring $8000 or more. And, you would get a hi-lo powershift which the green machines usually do not have.
The 1100 came in both diesel and gas versions, and I am assuming that this is a diesel? If not, it might be pretty expensive to operate with $2 gas (unless you can get a road tax rebate at year's end.) ....

Massey Ferguson 1100

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-05          111952

Thanks BrendonN! I meant to ask about another issue with this tractor. I have looked high and low for a ROPS retro-fit kit for this tractor. Does anyone have any links to manufacturers or sellers of ROPS retro-fit kits? In my mind, a ROPS and seatbelts are a MUST HAVE item. ....

Massey Ferguson 1100

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-05          111961

I went and looked at the Massey 1100 today. Boy was it HOT outside today! 95 in the shade! Anyhow; it seems to be a barn kept tractor. Had about 5,550 hours on the tach/hobs meter but the tach did not work so I imagine there are probably a few thousand hours more than are showing. The left brake would grab REAL hard and lock the tire with the slightest touch and the right brake did not work at all. The brake pedal would kick back at my foot as well. Aside from a few minor leaks on the FEL which was a pretty old John Deere FEL; everything seemed to work. The engine fired right up on the first hit from a cold start and did not smoke more than normal. The crankcase vent tube was smoking more than I liked. Even the engine brake.Even the engine brake. The paint was faded but that is to be expected for a 38 year old tractor. All the pieces parts where there. I think $5,000 may be too much since the machine has unknown problems with the brakes such as they are. Machinery Link lists it as worth about $3,500 without the FEL. I would allow maybe $500 for the FEL. I am thinking maybe $3,500 to $4,000 tops but I don't think the owner would take that. Guess I will keep looking. ....

Massey Ferguson 1100

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-05          111964

Maybe you could borrow or rent some big iron for a day to knock that chest high stuff down, then maintain it with your 4410. That would buy you some time to shop. ....

Massey Ferguson 1100

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-06          111972

You know Ken.........I was thinking the same thing last night. The tractor is the cheap part of this deal. A 10 ft. rotary cutter in decent shape costs more than the tractor and more like double for even larger cheap cutters.

I am talking to a neighbor about cutting it for hay and if I can swing that, I will go over the field real well and clean up all of the rocks and debry.

I still think this may be a bit much for the 4410. I am talking about 60 acres or more in just this one field. I have about another 100 acres down the road at the other place that is FULL of Locust trees that I have to pull up before I can cut them. Bush hogging those trees covered in 2 and 3 inch thorns is a sure fire guarantee for a slew of flat tires.

The upside of the cutting so far is that the Bob White quail are out dinning on the bugs and things on the trails I have cut through the fields. They are even running around in the yard. I love to watch them. ....

Massey Ferguson 1100

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-06          111987

Yowsa, with 160 acres to mow I can see you spending every waking hour for the rest of your life trying to mow it with a 5 footer. Fortunately we don't have locust trees, but it's sounding to me like renting something big with foam filled tires may be a good way to do the initial cleanup in that area. Or maybe something on TRACKS. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login