Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Glide Shift Transmission

View my Photos
Charlie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-29          6395

Anyone aware of reliability or maintenance problems with Kubota's Glide Shift Transmission? My primary concern is long term free from problems. Is there a trade off in reliability for the added convience withthe GST when compared to the syncronized main and shuttle transmission (DT version)? I'm looking at a L4300 with R4 tires. Dealer wants $23,000. Reasonable?Any comments appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Ted

1999-07-29          6404

Charlie: Rest assured the GST trans. is NOT known for problems. I run 4 of them presently, in a commercial groundskeeping business, and do snow removal with them in winter. To date we have run 12 machines and we have put over 60,000 combined hours on them with NOTHING but fluid and filter changes, never even one repair. In fact I just ordered another new one Tuesday, and bought a new, non-current model because they had dropped the GST in favor of the HST on the machine I wanted, and HST is useless for my work. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Stanley R. Siedlecki

1999-07-29          6408

Ted, I'm curious, why is HST useless in your line of work? I would think HST would make things simpler for you and youremployees. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-07-30          6428

I "think" what Ted means,is that HST may not be as convenient or well suited for HIS applications. Consistant speed is very important in mowing fine golf course style grasses & snowblowing.The shear beauty and purpose of a HST can also be its biggest downfall to some.In that precise and/or consistant speeds are more difficult to achieve, in relationship to a Glide shift or standard Gear tranny. Because of HST's infinite speeds, its "almost"impossible to get back to that EXACT speed you were just at. I would assume most users, myself included feel we get plenty close enough. BTW, I love my HST, and think a glide shift would be a real pain in the "U know what", compared to a HST. Just goes to show that different people have different tastes, habits, and requirements. Thank the good lord that the Manuf's allow us the choice to choose what works for each of us. ....

View my Photos
mike

1999-07-30          6446

Try a new Deere HST. It has a cruise control that is accurate and easy to use. Just punch a button on the dash and it works. Ah well as you said, "to each his own" ....

View my Photos
Jeff

1999-09-01          7567

Are there any disadvantages to the Glide Shift Transmission? The Kubota brochure says that it allows "quick shifting between... forward and reverse without using the clutch." If I'm mowing a field at 4 miles per hour and move the shuttle lever to reverse, wouldn't that be an awful shock (to me and the tractor?)I've read that the PTO on a GST machine stops when the clutch is depressed. Suppose I want to operate an implement like a post hole digger, where the PTO has to run when the tractor is in neutral. No problem, right?For that matter, what do you think of the conventional transmission, the FST? ....

View my Photos
gaspur

2012-06-01          183726

Jeff I just ease up on the fuel pedal or slow the engine down with the throttle control.It will shift fairly fast so I use the foot pedal. If I shift into neutral ,the pto will keep running. We have never had a problem with them yet. I think it is the perfect set-up for a tractor. It is gear to gear , you can downshift going down a hill to slow the machine, in fact. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login