Go Bottom Go Bottom

B6000 wheel nut torque values

View my Photos
vettman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-31          167825

After 32 years of wear, I decided to replace the front tires on my B6000. This is the first time the wheels have been off the tractor; now that I have new tires tubes and anti-freeze fill, I'm ready to put the wheels back on the tractor. Does anyone have any idea what the wheel nut torque setting should be? I'm thinking 75-100 ft-lbs.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-01          167830

With cars, too much and you distort something serious, too little and you lose a wheel and flip over. With tractors it's no big deal but check for looseness after a few months. Your guess would be mine. Or look up a torque by bolt-diameter table. Or buy or look up the service manual.

Since you'll have new fronts and old rears avoid putting it in 4 except on a slippery surface. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-01-01          167832

Like Auer said it probably isn't a critical issue long as they don"t work loose and egg out a hole or something, just check them now and then. If the lugs are about the size of most then probably a good tug on a half inch breaker bar is enough. ....

View my Photos
vettman

2010-01-01          167833

What would be the rationale for not "pulling" in 4WD with the new tires? The rear tires are 7x16 and the fronts are 6x12--they never were the same size, front-to-rear. Even though the tractor is 32 years old it has less than 2K hours, and the rears do not show that much wear, i.e., there is still a good bit of tread depth. The fronts wear the most because of the "scrupping" you get when turning in 4WD. I've set the torque at 80 ft-lbs. This is mid-way between the values specified for the rear wheels on my ZD326 Kubota mower.

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-01-01          167836

I don't know how to retrieve old threads on here but there has been a ton of discussion about proper tire sizes for tractors with front wheel assist.
What it basicly boils down to is that the tire circumfrences on a front wheel assist tractor must be as close as possible to what they were when the tires were all new on a new tractor. Reason being that the gear ratio between the front and rear axles is designed to have the surface of the front and rear tires going at the same speed, if not this puts undue strain on the drive system while in four wheel drive. As was mentioned on a slippery surface the tires just slip enough to make it not matter. ....

View my Photos
vettman

2010-01-01          167840

Thanks Hardwood; I'm familiar with this issue re. tire diameters on 4WD tractors, but since the fronts and rears on this tractor do not wear(lose tread depth) at the same rate, I never considered it to be very much of a problem, and after 32 years, it appears that it hasn't been. However, it also doesn't mean that something won't break tomorrow--knock wood. LOL ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2010-01-01          167844

vettman--ya should be o.k. w/80 ft-lbs. torque--if ye ever have to do your rears go up to 100 ft-lbs. torque--JMHO ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-01          167845

I used to write and illustrate automotive service and owner manuals. Part of the process was to have the engineers sign-off on torque specs, which is the last thing on their minds (read: they have better things to do if you ask them). They would skip over torque specs. So, because they were holding up printing we began putting "tighten until it breaks then back off a quarter turn". We got the point across in hurry.

BTW, unless the bolt is specifically designed to yield like some head bolts, torque specs are subjective.

If you look at a chart, notice the variables such as type of coating or not, lubricated or not, even the bolt length, etc. the specs widely vary.

To me what's more important than the spec is HOW you tighten--diagonally crisscrossing and equally.

In my younger pre-engineering days, I had my 360 lb. buddy stand on a 4' breaker bar trying to get the lug bolts off an old camper trailer. We couldn't figure out why the bolt heads were breaking off. Turns out they were left-hand threads---but only on one side of the trailer. DOH! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-01-02          167862

As to using industry charts it would seem you have to know the grade of the studs firts which I doubt would be easy to find without asking dealership.

EW, left hand threads, have seen that years ago. Think it might have been an old carry over from horse drawn wagons where the nuts were threaded to be kept thight by the direction the wheel turned it it rub the axle nut. Right side R/H thread and L/H on the left side.

As to being careful about the use of 4 wheel drive with the new wheels it would have been my thought it was due to better gripe with the new tires, not difference in diameter due to wear of the old ones. Might be those two and more. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login