Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX stripped Exhaust Manifold bolt

View my Photos
mjymich
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-21          162216

Hi I like to know how to fix a stripped exhaust manifold bolt on a Kubota BX1830 it holds the muffler to the manifold, there are 3 bolts and one is stripped.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-21          162217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjymich | view 162216
hi i like to know how to fix a strip bolt that hold the muffler theirare3 bolt andone is strip

Is there something special about the bolt that it can't be replaced with a new one?

Or is it a stud? Or a threaded hole in a casting?

Need a bit more info I guess. ....

View my Photos
mjymich

2009-04-21          162218

its a bolt with tread and it goes at the end of the manifold where the muffler goes the bolt screw in the muffler and its strip inside the muffler and it leak the fume off the diesel ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-04-21          162219

If you are bolting into a threaded hole (can't put a nut on the other side) and the threads are stripped, you switch to a bolt one or two sizes bigger. You drill out the hole (with the exact right size drill bit for tapping the new hole for the bigger bolt), and tap new threads into the hole. ....

View my Photos
mjymich

2009-04-22          162230

its a bx 1830 and the bolt screw inside the muffler and its strip inside and i cant go bigger cause the muffler bolt on the manifold 3 bolt hold the muffler ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-04-23          162250

Not sure I have the exact picture but there are new glues for holding bolts in concrete, and for locking bolts in metal, often an epoxy formula (you mix two parts together). Maybe a good quality one would hold for you. You'd clean and dry both sets of threads thoroughly, apply well, and keep from moving until it sets. Some epoxys set in minutes, others take hours, but I think slower is stronger. ....

View my Photos
s chrand
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-23          162264

It sounds like the easiest fix is a new muffler.
Assuming the 1830 is the same as my 2230, then the tapped holes are in the muffler; the screws go through a flange on the end of the manifold pipe and thread into the muffler.

I'm guessing that you took the screw out, and made sure it's not stripped and that the threads in the muffler are.

You could drill out the offending threaded hole in the muffler, and either tap it for a heli-coil insert, or tap it to the next larger size. If you go with a heli-coil, your old screw will still work and you won't have to drill out the hole in the flange. The next size up screw will require those things.

View my Photos
mjymich

2009-04-23          162267

the muffler is like new to me 181 hr on it i will take it out and find out whats wrong with it ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login