Go Bottom Go Bottom

retro-fit of a uni tatch snow blower to a bx2200 fel

View my Photos
toolman2
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-19          158016

hello,
i'm familiar with this forum and it has helped considerably over the years :). i'm a new member because of an unusual project I would like to build with your input. My concept is to mount a 2 stage snow thrower on the front of my fel to replace the bucket. Let me tell you about the blower. it's 20 years old but new, manufactured by the uni tatch corporation which is no longer in existance. they made them for the power king and jd tractors. it measures 47 in. wide and supposedly is geared to run at 2000 rpm. it has a hydraulic chute rotate motor. i have a pretty good idea on mounting this unit on the fel and using my dump hydraulics for the chute rotate. i'm curious on my options for driving the auger and limit my up stroke on the fel or is now the fesb ;).
thanks in advance for any input,
toolman2

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-19          158020

First off, welcome!!

Secondly, been there, done that. The short version of the story is "you can't get there from here". I.E. the front PTO is not the right speed or direction of rotation from memory.

You can however very easily put a 20'ish hp engine on it and belt drive it from that. The other advantage of doing this is that you have an unlimited (only by FEL reach) height of the blower. For things like cleaning up drifts or knocking down banks it's really handy.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-19          158032

I'm not familiar with the type of blower you have but is it chain driven off of a PTO or hydraulic driven?

You mention running the blower from your FEL hydraulics.

If it is a hydraulic driven blower, your tractor does not likely have enough hydraulic gpm to drive the blower sufficiently. Most hydraulic driven, tractor mounted snow blowers require a minimum of 16 gpm and your tractor is rated at about 6 gpm.

Your mid-mount PTO runs at about 2300 rpms, but it would be difficult, if not impossible to put together a PTO linkage from your mid-mount PTO to the front of your tractor and have it work the way you would want it to.

Murf, likely has the best solution in mind....as usual.

Brian ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-20          158042

The challenge is getting enough power to the mower, as I found when I did something similar.

My battery-operated garden tractor with front blower doesn't have much traction or power. So I made holders to nestle the blower inside my Yanmar's bucket, and made an inverter to boost the Yanmar output to the 36V that the blower-motor takes. Worked perfectly until I tried it in snow. If I went any faster than the garden tractor, the inverter couldn't take it, so I was no further ahead. Takes a lot of power to spin an auger biting into snow. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login