Go Bottom Go Bottom

Advice on Tractor selection

View my Photos
SaltySteve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-07          154363

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to owning (soon) a tractor. I just bought an 8 acre property that is mostly wooded and I will probably be clearing out about half of it after I get settled in.
The main Jobs will be:
Moving tress
Bushogging
Taking care of a 450ft driveway
I'll also be trying to remove pine needles from the ground quite a bit.
The property is somewhat hilly, of course hilly for us down here is probably considered flat to some of you.

What would really help me out is tractor Size suggestions and implement selection.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-07          154366

4WD (for traction pulling trees and negotiating hills)

FEL installed with a ring welded on for chain attaching

ag tire tread, preferably with liquid in the rears

HP 20-35 depending on whether work speed is more important than economy and manoeverability

rear blade

mower, either mid-mount or rear ....

View my Photos
SaltySteve

2008-06-07          154367

This is going to reveal my ignorance somewhat but I have to ask What is FEL.
Also I would rather err on the side of power when I select my tractor. I'm thinking L model although I know little about the diff Models and what they offer. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-07          154368

SaltySteve,

FEL = Front End Loader

As I was reading through your first post, I was thinking you might need an "L" series Kubota, as well.

Clearing wooded land is a pretty big chore for a smaller tractor. You could do it, but you'll also have to spend a lot of manual labor making the jobs small enough for the tractor.

I'd go with a larger L series Kubota, or something like a TC55 New Holland.

You wouldn't have to buy a new tractor. Someday, after all the heavy work is done, you'll probably need something smaller for mowing and keeping up with the falling tree branches. You could easily sell your larger machine when you're done with it, and then get yourself a smaller tractor for handling the lawn and garden chores.

You'll need the deep lugs on your tires. In tractor terms, these are called Agriculture tires, or R1 tires. You'll also need a large clevis to attach to your rear hitch. A loader with a grapple would be nice for moving the limbs around, but the grapple isn't absolutely necessary. However, handling pine tree branches isn't fun at all. A grapple would be very nice for that job.

A landscape rake mounted on the rear 3-point hitch would work wonders for most of the smaller branches and twigs, and maybe even rake up most of the pine needles.

If you need a mower, I'd look for a rear mounted rotary mower for now. After you get your lawn planted and finished, you'll probably want to get a different tractor and a finish mower.

To handle the tree removal project, you'll some good chains, a set of skidding tongs, a good chainsaw, and a cinching cable. If you're not allowed to burn the trees and limbs, you might need to hire in a chipper truck to take care of that stuff for you.

Good luck with the project.

Joel

View my Photos
JOHNWTHOMAS

2008-06-07          154370

I cut trees for over a month with a chain saw clearing my building site and rear yard area. Then I had a man come in with a dozer to clear and level actual house foot print. Had him clear a section that I had not cut yet and in one hour, maybe two he did more than I did in a month with the chain saw and his fee was $65 an hour. I will recommend you hire a dozer unless you just want to spend the time, fuel money and usage cost of the equipment. I also moved a buch of rocks and dirt for months then hired a man again for $65 hour to bring his big skidsteer machine in to move some hugh rocks and do some major leveling. I could have done it (not the hugh rocks) but not as cheap and as quick as he did. After your major excavation/tree cutting a B with FEL, box blade, landscape rake and mower will probably take care of you. Actually a BX probably will. I maintain about 4 of my hillside rocky 5 acres. Started with a BX2200, traded a year later to a B7800 and 3 years later traded for a L3240HST. Also bought a BX1500 which I've just traded after 3 years for a BX2350. The BX's are great little tractors and will do about as much as a B but less ground clearance and a bit slower. The B will do about as much as the L but smaller bucket and L alot heavier tractor. When I trade again it will probably be back to another B. The additional weight of the L really sucks up the HP going up steep hills. For mostly mowing, level land and some front bucket work the BX's are the machine. Really agile and real work horses. ....

View my Photos
SaltySteve

2008-06-08          154381

Yep...all good advice. And believe me I'm listining. I'll have to investigate all the models mentioned here and see what they are. The property I'm dealing with already has the house on it. I'm just doing some additional Clearing and really will be like handpicking the trees to come down. I'll get all the junky stuff first then see what it looks like. I'm just trying to thin it out actually and will be selective on the cutting. I'll say about 75% clear is what it will probably work out to. I'll also be tackling it myself. I work overseas and am only in the USA about 4 months a year. (thinking outloud)To sum it all up I guess I really don't want a giant unit but something that will get the job done without killing itself. I have a finish mower already. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-08          154384

SaltySteve,

Since you're going to be gone for many months at a time, please read the tractor's operator manual carefully -- especially regarding the warning pertaining to the clutch plates rusting together unless they're locked in the disengaged position.

There should be a locking lever on your clutch pedal. Before traveling abroad, depress your clutch and lock it down in the depressed position.

If you don't do this, your clutch plates will rust together. Fixing this is a very labor intensive project, and it could even involve splitting the tractor in order to get the clutch pack out for repair.

You should also relieve the tension on your mower belts, disconnect the battery terminals, Keep your fuel tank completely full, and add some anti-bacteria additive to your fuel.

Do not store any diesel in any containers or tanks while you're out of the country. Moisture and bacteria will accumulate in any fuel storage container. Use up your spare fuel before leaving, or give it to a neighbor.

Since you live in Louisiana, you shouldn't have to worry about your antifreeze. It won't get cold enough there to have to worry about your engine block cracking.

Much of this is covered in the tractor's manual. If you need any other suggestions for long-term tractor storage, please ask.

Joel ....

View my Photos
cmwatts43

2008-06-08          154387

Hi SaltySteve,
I am in the same boat as you..I am purchasing a L3400 FEL and backhoe and like you, work overseas and am home only every three months for one month at a time. I have been plowing with tractors since I was 13 and have learned one thing...Get what you can afford..You will never regret it. I am retiring my 83 JD 950 that my Pop bought new after fighting and old 40's Ford....That is when I learned about curse words.
I don't plow as much as I did back then...I mainly need the FEL and Backhoe for stumps, hauling dirt and just because I always wanted a Backhoe. I have been comparing between JD's and figured out I can actually buy a Kubota and a new 4 wheeler for the same price as just the JD..
Good luck on your purchase and If you don't mind me asking, where overseas are you...You don't have to answer that...I work in Baghdad myself and should be home in a bit with my new TOY waiting for me.
Oh yeah...I'm a Luziana boy myself..French Settlement.
Later,
Chuck ....

View my Photos
SaltySteve

2008-06-08          154388

I just left Saudi and am now in UAE. I'm at work also. We are lucky enough to have Internet on this Vessel so this is about the time in the hitch when I get bored and start researching all this stuff. I wish I could run down to the Kubota dealer and check this stuff out but I just don't think they have one here. By the way I used to live down in Marupas and have relatives in and around French Settlement by the last name of Miles. ....

View my Photos
cmwatts43

2008-06-08          154389

Ahhhh...good ol UAE Dubai...Spent many a great time there and a lot of money. Miles is ringing a bell..just can't put my finger on it. Did a lot of boating on Lake Maurepas and the Amite.
Check out the L3400. You work your ass of and when you are home, you want something that won't waste your time. Check out Barlow Equipment out of Kentucky..They ship..Also Evergreen in Covington..emailed them twice and no response,so, they have been checked off my list. Ascension equipment in BR and Star equipment in Hammond..Kubota is offering 0% until the end of the month.
Sounds like you get more time off then I do...plus my allergis over here are bad..I am allergic to Lead bullets, IED's, suiside bombers, etc. Dang allergies. You a crew member?Merchant Marine? Maybe I need to switch professions and come work for you.
Do you ever get down towards French Settelment area? We could always cook up a big gumbo and a lot of beer.
Thanks Steve for making my day...I am going on 6 months strait right now..I sold my leave back and am about ready to suck start my Glock...AAAWWW...Nahhh..I'm getting clost to vacation.
Hit me back when u can..I will be up a bit studying info for tomorrows work.

Chuck ....

View my Photos
SaltySteve

2008-06-08          154391

Yeah I'm Merchant Marine, 30 Years. I get down there every so often. I like to ride my bike down to Hill Top Inn on Sundays and watch the boat launching Circus. They put on quite a show there. I get tired of eating sand too and your right the last thing I want to do is fight an inadequate tractor when I'm home. I just don't know much about them and afraid I'll buy something I'll regret. I think I figured out though that I have to determine exactly what I really want to run on it and pick the size tractor according to that. Keep your head down. By the way, I read in a 5 million dollar study that suck starting glocks could possibly be linked to severe headaches in some participants. Final results could differ. ....

View my Photos
cmwatts43

2008-06-08          154396

I allready like you...funny mofo.I am doing my best to not be included in that 5 mill study.
Ate at Hill Top in December..lst time I was home since last July ...Mothers day is also a great time to watch them race.
Buy as large as tractor as you can afford...you can not go wrong (personal opinion)...Hit me up later...Going to hit the rack
Chuck ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-09          154413

To Salty and CM, first you be carefull and take care.

In my opinion with you being gone as you are you need a very good relationship with a very good dealership that is LOCAL. You may find you need them to handle your maintance possibly by emails or phone request. The only way to know you have the right one is time with time. It may be email or phone or in person. A good one will ask what you want the tractor and or equipment for and will help explain what you need size wise and type of equipment. You also may find if you will be home and doing your work in short burst renting a good option, especially on any equipement you may only need for a certain job.

Landscape rake or even a peanut rake does a great job in heavy pine straw. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login