Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
emgall
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-29          132779

My bx2200 has about 600 hours on it and it has been a god send. Today I was mowing grass and after about 10 minutes the power started to fade. Stopped the mower and just drove around a bit. The power(engine) seemed to rise and fall, almost didn't make it up my driveway. When it sits the engine sounds like you are moving the throttle up and down, almost stalling out on the low side. Owners manual said check air filter and contaminated gas. Changed filter. no help. Siphoned out as much fuel as I could and then ran it dry. Used new fuel from another source. Still the same. I guess next step is the fuel filters, but they only have about 75 hours on them and I go 200 before changing without problem. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-29          132780

I have seen fuel filter under the right conditions clog with only 10 hours of use. my feeling is they are cheap and easy to replace so try it. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-29          132782

Try removing the fuel filler cap and see if it runs smoother. If it does, clean the cap (vent) or replace it (a clogged vent in the cap will cause a vacuum and starve fuel) This goes for mowers, tractors, or anything with a fuel tank with a vent susceptible to being clogged. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
emgall

2006-07-29          132784

Thanks, but I had the cap off when I was siphoning fuel and it was running. Didn't make a difference. Tomorrow I try replacing the fuel filters. If that doesn't work what is my next step...the fuel pump? ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-29          132785

My lawn mower engine does exactly the same thing when the air filter is plugged.

Look there too. there has to be an air or fuel restriction. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-30          132788

Does have a fuel pump? (Not familiar with your machine but my 33hp NH has a gravity feed from the tank) ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2006-07-30          132790

I got a tank of some lousey fuel at around 50 hrs after replacing the fuel filters and it did the same thing. Before it just ran out of power it would almost die and sputter when you were doing loader work and hit something. The lower filter was loaded with slime. I have since run PowerService in there with every tank and have had no problems.

I wish they had a better fuel filter system on these with a large spin on but I guess there is no room. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
emgall

2006-07-30          132798

Replaced both fuel filters and it ran well for about half an hour and then the same problem returned, almost worst as I had a tough time making it up a mild grade. Thinking back, since this started it would run ok while the engine was cold, but after 20-30 minutes the power loss and engine dying would kick in. Obviously the engine cooled down during the hour or so I was changing filters, and made me think everything was fine when I started back up. What ideas next? ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-30          132799

Is there a screen on the inlet in the tank? I had a similar problem with the 955 but is was rust particles in the tank collecting on the sceen. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
emgall

2006-07-30          132800

If there is a screen it would have to be inside the tank since there is only a line coming out. Don't see how I would get any rust as the tank is plastic and my fuel cans are plastic also. The fact that it will run fine 20-30 minutes without problems and go into its funk points to some thing else, but I sure don't know what. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-30          132801

The rust and dirt can be come from the storage tanks where you purchase diesel. The suction on the screen draws up the dirt in the tank and then clogs the filter. It takes only a few minutes at high speed for this to happen. When you shut off the tactor the dirt falls off the screen. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-30          132807

After cooling and running again until warm might clear some of your questions but I still feel clean fuel is the problem or the most likely. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-31          132813

Cost is right cheap, take the fuel filter off and let the tank drain into a clear container or keep taking samples of the fuel as it drains into a fuel tank. Set it up and see if you don't find water or something else in your fuel.
Watch the flow and it there is a restriction in the tank it probably will show.

I had a wasp or such once in my fuel tank. No idea how he got in there but when the suction on the fuel line stopped (engine off) it would float free and the fuel would run, when it ran long enough it pulled the insect into the line, clogging it.

A friend of mine who did rebuild injector pumps told me, buy fuel where they sell fuel. What he means is where they sell a LOT of fuel keeping fresh fuel. If you are not be sure you use a conditioner. If your tractor sits with the same fuel for a while it will go bad on you. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
emgall

2006-08-05          132992

To bring everyone up to date - someone had suggested that I might be sucking air in some how, check the fuel lines. Well, since I was there I replaced all the line from the tank to the engine. Although none of the old ones looked bad, this did solve the severe power cycling up and down. Since it would occur after about 20 minutes of operation, maybe the heat of the engine would open something up.

Mowed with it about 1 1/2 hours and the only thing I noticed was the engine seemed to labor a bit, nothing like before, when mowing uphill about a 15 degree slope. Runs fine on the flat. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I t'd a fuel pressure guage into the line right after the fuel pump. On the flat it reads 3-3.2 psi. Running upslope it drops to 2.8-2.9. Does anyone have a feel for this being normal variation or should I think about replacing the fuel pump as well.

Many thanks to all how gave me advice towards aolving this problem. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
harleys2003

2006-08-06          133021

Instead of "replacing parts".....why not contact your Kubota Dealer and see what they suggest??....hopefully the fuel filters are the culprit or maybe clogged fuel injectors???....good luck and let us know what the problem was. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
harleys2003

2006-08-06          133022

Test ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
harleys2003

2006-08-10          133144

Also make sure that your air filters are clear.........this can cause reduction of power as stated in the owners manual. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
emgall

2006-08-10          133148

I've replaced fuel filters, air filter, and all fuel lines and it did help the initial extremely severe problems. Fuel pump output is steady at about 3.0 to 3.2 psi. Dealer said kubota does not publish specs for fuel pump pressure and he was aware of how to check whether that reading was good.

How difficult is it to clean the injectors? Just unbolt and blow them out?

thanks ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
harleys2003

2006-08-10          133150

What about trying a fuel injector cleaner first...something like Chevron "TECTRON", "BG 44K", etc. taking into account a reduced ratio into your tank because of less deisel being treated than in a truck etc. Not sure about the injector question as I have never removed them. ....

BX2200 Losing Power

View my Photos
Ezkubota

2017-12-13          197326

What was the final outcome. How did you fix ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login