Go Bottom Go Bottom

kioti 3054 compact tractor

View my Photos
Flash
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-16          3862

I have been looking for a new compact tractor for some time. i have compared them all and am impressed by kioti, but can't find much info on the net. I have 40 acres and have a need for some attachments, snowblower, loader, mower, rake, tiller. i looked at all the standard features and compared for price and operator convenience. dealers are local for several brands, so service shouldn't be hard to get, but i will do most regular service myself. any comments on kioti will be most appreciated. i plan to purchase a tractor within a week or so.thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-16          3863

I think that most people are pretty conservative when it comes to a purchase thesize of a tractor plus attachments. Kioti doesn't have a track record. It has been several years since I test rode a couple of them and they have probablychanged since then. At that time I was disappointed in several things - althoughthese may have nothing to do with the machine's suitability or reliability. Things I liked: the price! The dealer's personality. Things I didn't: engine and gearbox had more mechanical noise than the otherbrands. The engine response was slow to changes in throttle...More like a constantRPM diesel than the more modern diesels - which respond to the throttle quickly,more like a gasoline engine. The external surfaces of a lot of the enginecastings was rough and unfinished. Grinder marks were not smoothed out. Overall, my impression was of a machine built to fit a position in themarket based on price. This was accomplished by using older technology and eliminating some of the hand finishing. From the gear noise I suspect that it had straight cut gears as well. Nothing wrong with this, though. None of this is a knock on Kioti. Older technology is at least well workedout, and they do what they do so that they can enter the market. Its not theapproach that would get me to buy their tractor, but it is a legitimate approach to business and to manufacturing IMHO. Like you, I haven't heard proor con about their tractor over the long haul. I wonder if the dealer would bewilling to give you the names of some owners? Also, maybe it would be worthwhileto check some dealers of other brands who have Kioti's that have been traded in.People seem to change brands for a variety of reasons, and if nothing elsetheir comments would balance the findings. Whatever you find out, I'm sure we would all be interested...... Roger L ....

View my Photos
Fred

1999-05-16          3876

It has been a few years since I checked out the Kioti as well. The thing that bothered me the most about them was the dealers. I went to 4 different Kioti dealers. They all told untrue stories about how they are just like Kubotas,were designed by the same people, etc, etc. Some of the dealers spent half the time I was with them focused on this subject. Since I later found out these stories are untrue, each of the dealers was lying to me, and that is not the type of people I want to deal with. In addition the Kioti dealers I went to were low budget operations that may not have as much experience or be around as long as the major brand dealers in my area. My impressions of the tractors were similar to Roger. Older technology and lower quality fit and finish than the major brands, however I was dissapointed with their price as well. When comparing the same size tractors with the same features the price is not much different than the major brands. The price usually seems lower when comparing the older technology less features with newer technology and more features but not when comparing apples to apples. The resale is not as good as the major brands. The tractors may not be bad, but I don't trust the dealers. ....

View my Photos
Flash

1999-05-16          3881

Roger-Thanks for the reply. I don't have any experience in farming or tractors of any type, so I am trying to be careful. The dealer for Kioti was in my impression,straight up about this machine, and he more than any other dealer seemed to takea special interest in me and my situation. He gave me the names of several localowners of this particular model and encouraged me to talk with them. I will do so this week. I spent a lot of time comparing brands, apples to apples. Each model has strong points and lacks in certain areas that are of concern to my situation. Notractor met all my expectations, so I want to be sure that the one I pick will do the best possible job for me. Prices are similar, but I found that you need to becareful about the technical differences. You get what you pay for seems to fit.Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-17          3895

Flash, the prices should NOT be similar. If the Kioti is not substantiallyless expensive than the more familiar makes then something is wrong with thedeal. Not only is the machine less expensive to the dealer, but be sureto compare the Kioti dealers overhead with the local JD, Kubota, or Ford dealer.Who has to pay the most for buildings, parts, and employees?? If the Kioti really is the same or close to the same price as the othersthen I think I would stay with the more familiar name. For resale value if notfor any other reason. How much of your 40 acres are you going to work with the tractor? You aregetting close to needing a larger tractor than most compacts. Roger L ....

View my Photos
Lee

1999-05-20          4079

I got one last fall and am happy with it. It's only got 69 hours now, as I didn't use it during the winter to plow snow, etc ('got it to clear land). I've done alot of loader and box blade work with it and it has performed extremely well. The gearing is well matched for a broad selection of speeds and the shuttle shift makes direction changing work almost as easy as if you had a hydro tranny. The tractor always starts well and easy. During the winter, I started it once a week to keep the battery up. Even at 0 degrees, it would fire up easily in an unheated shed. To satisify yourself, get some references. I made the dealer give me some and no one came back negative. For that matter, I've never have heard anything bad about from any past or present owners (being one, I know why :-). You can find out more from the manufacturer, Daedong. They are a ag. manufacturer in S. Korea since the 1940's. Started into the tractor business in the '60's w/USA being an expansion. Their site has specs. on the tractor and engine. You have to dig a bit to find the engine specs (detail - tourque/hp curves, etc) as it is also sold as a separate product by them too.BTW - Successful Farm picked their recently introduced bigger (35 hp) model as an editor pick at a recent ag. expo. Check out their site for the article. From what I can figure, the 35 hp is a LK3054 w/a bigger engine.Lee ....

View my Photos
FLash

1999-05-20          4113

Lee, thanks for the reply. I thought long and hard and compared many models. The base price on similar models seemed close, but when you compare specific features, I found that the 3054 came standard with features that were options on others, driving thecost of the others up. I was very comfortable with the dealer-been there 61 years-and the idea of buying local(35 miles away) was a concern. I don't know if I could havemade a better deal, but I was happy with the one I made. I bought the 3054 with soft-tracties, loaded with calcium cloride, the kl254 loader, 60" snowblower, 60" bushhog(heavy duty)60" tiller(heavy duty), 84" backblade, 60" landscape rake for 23K, including sales tax.Dealer will deliver to my home and pick up for any warranty service n/c. Also got overrunningclutch, hitch, change of filters,etc. I didn't really consider resale as I usually keep what I buy forever. Hopefully this will outlive me, but I just wanted one now to make work on my "ranch" easier. I guess the only worry is if N. Korea overruns the south. Thanks again. They will be delivering my new tractor this weekend. The yard will never be the same. Flash ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-22          46462

Yo K-man, consider the dates on this thread. You are jumping in on stuff that in more than 2.5 years old! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login