Go Bottom Go Bottom

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
dustinh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-29          175416

I just bought a 1996 LB1914 Kioti. Had trouble starting it just to get it off the trailer and in the middle of writing this my dad come down to help. He brought a can of starter fluid sprayed a little in and it fired right up. So alls good for now. I payed $4000 for the tractor, front loader and bucket, and four foot brushhog. Does that sound like a pretty good deal or did i get taken?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-29          175418

At the time of build they were a copy of several model Kubotas and in as much as I took several in trade I can't remember but do believe they are a glow plug engine.

I'd be doing some double checking but preheaters of any kind and either don't mix!!!!!! ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-29          175419

Dustinh,

Considering that a new loader, by itself, would run you about $4000.00, I think you got yourself a pretty good deal........provided, of course, that the tractor has no major mechanical issues.

Even if you're an old pro with tractors.....Please refresh yourself on the tractor safety rules.

Enjoy your new machine.

Joel ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
dustinh

2010-11-29          175420

the tractor does have glow plugs. Does any body know what could be causing it to be so hard to start? ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-11-29          175421

Dustinh,

Diesels can be difficult to start. The incoming air is compressed to a very high level......to about an 18 or 20 to 1 ratio. The fuel is then injected into the cylinder just before the piston reaches top dead center. The super-heated air, due to the high compression ratio, is enough to cause the diesel fuel to ignite.

If you're having problems starting a cold diesel engine, there are a few things you can check.

1. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and that the cables and connections are clean and tight. You need to spin the engine fast enough that the pressure in the cylinder is maintained long enough to allow for ignition. A slow turning engine will allow some of the compressed air to bleed off (through the rings) before reaching top dead center.

2. Make sure you have power to your glow plugs. Your glow plugs serve to preheat the cold cylinder. Compressed air is very hot, but it will quickly cool off when it comes in contact with the cold metal of the piston and the cylinder walls, as well as the engine head. The glow plugs help to overcome the heat loss due to the cold metal.

3. Check to see if the glow plugs are actually functioning. You can do this very easily with an infrared temp gun. Turn on the glow plugs and let them heat up for about 30 seconds. Take the temp gun and aim it at the glow plugs...one at a time. You'll know very quickly if you have a bad glow plug....or maybe none of them are working.

4. Open the throttle to about halfway when starting a cold engine. Immediately move the throttle back to idle once it fires. You never want to run a cold engine at high rpms.

5. If none of these things help, you'll need to check to see if you're getting enough compression in the cylinders. This can be done by putting a compression gauge in the glow plug port. You'll need special tools to remove the glow plug, and you'll need to closely follow the directions on the compression tester. Even slightly worn rings will make your diesel engine very difficult to start when cold.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-29          175422

Seems you have good suggestions. You can also use an amp meter to know if the glow plugs are pulling current and thus working if you have one and might be able to feel a temp difference with your hand. But my first guess is you did not use the glow plugs. No idea what turns them on your engine as the method does vary but try to find out what method they use. A phone call to a Kioti dealership should give you that answer in a minute or two. ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-11-29          175423

Dustinh,

One more thing..........

Worn rings are not the only cause for low compression. You could also have worn valves, or a valve timing problem.

Joel

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
dustinh

2010-11-29          175426

When I turn on the key the glow plug light lights up.I let it cycle twice and still cant get it to start. Going to try to check the glow plugs tomorrow. what should the amp meter read? ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-11-29          175427

Dustinh,

It really doesn't matter how many amps it reads. Just make sure your meter is set to measure DC current.

Make sure you have 12 volt DC power going to your glow plugs when the switch is activated. Provided you have 12 volts at the glow plugs..........

If you have any current at all, it means that the glow plug is working.

No current flow means that your glow plug is open.....shot...kaput.

Joel ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
dustinh

2010-11-29          175428

Thanks for everyones for your input im new to the whole tractor thing and your knowledge helps. Going tomorrow to buy a voltage meter and try that. ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
dustinh

2010-11-30          175441

Just went by to day after work and bought a digital voltage meter. I know this may sound stupid but I have never had to use a voltage meter. So i was wondering if anyone could walk me through on checking the glow plugs. ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-11-30          175442

Dustinh,

No problem. Glad to help.

Carefully remove the power connector from the glow plug. Set your meter to read DC volts. Select a range that won't peg out the meter at 12V. For example, set the meter to read a maximum of 50 volts DC.

Attach the positive lead (red) to the glow plug power wire. Attach the negative lead (black) to the tractor ground. You can use any connection on the tractor's frame.....any clean bolt......unpainted frame part, etc.

When you energize the glow plugs, you should get a reading close to 12 volts. It won't be exactly 12. If you get a reading, that means you have power to the glow plug. That DOES NOT mean that the glow plug is good. It simply means that you have power going to it.

In order to know if the glow plug is actually working, you'll need to either check for an amperage reading, feel the glow plug by hand, or use an infrared temp gun.

If you need help doing a current check, please check back in. I'll need to know more about your meter before I'll be able to help you check for current flow. We'll be using DC Amps for that measurement. Be careful with your new meter. If you use the wrong settings you could destroy it right quick-like.

Hope this helps.

Joel

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-11-30          175446

Dustinh,

I did some quick checking around on the internet and found a few things that might help you.

If your glow plugs are good, they should draw ABOUT 10 amps DC. The current flow varies with the resistance rating of the glow plug. MOST glow plugs are about 2 ohms.

Provided your meter will handle that much DC current, it will be an easy chore for you.

If your meter won't handle a minimum of 10 amps DC, we'll have use another method to test your glow plugs........such as by doing a resistance test.

Set your meter to read resistance......or Ohms. Put one lead (doesn't matter which one in this case) on the glow plug's electrical connector. (Not the power wire.....the glow plug itself) Place the other lead on the tractor's frame. (you'll need a very good connection) If your glow plug is good, you should have a resistance reading of about 2 ohms....somewhere in that neighborhood. If you get zero ohms, your glow plug is shorted internally. If you get max ohms, your glow plug is open......burned out......broken heating element.

Joel ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
dustinh

2010-11-30          175449

Thanks Joel I'll try this tomorrow. I beleive I have three glow plugs all conneted together would I need to disconnect them and test them all separtly? Thanks for all your help! ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-11-30          175452

Dustinh,

I'm not familiar with the specifics on your tractor. I don't know how the glow plugs are wired.

Regardless of how your tractor is wired, you'll need to test the glow plugs individually. It's very possible that you have one or two bad ones.

Let's start by checking them one at a time. That's what I'd do if it were mine.

Stop in again and let us know what you found. Other tractor owners benefit from these discussions.

Have a good night.

Joel ....

LB1914 Starting issue

View my Photos
tipoblanco

2018-02-07          197488

i bought a 1986 lb2204,hard starting when temps were low,i ended up replacing all 3 glow plugs and cleaned any connectionsand coated them with no-ox i.e.battery,starter,alternator,fuse block fuse connections and also found the fusible link connections melted and insulation burned off off of it,helped 100 percent,tractors! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login