Go Bottom Go Bottom

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
allenwilson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-25          89352

This is my first post on Tractorpoint, but I have been reading with interest the thoughts, expertise, pundits and recommendations of the fine people on this site for over three months. I am now ready to "brandish my spurs," so to speak, by buying a CUT to use on five acres of varied terrain land in WV (hills including a fairly steep 300 foot drive, trout stream fronting, some wetlands, timber and thorn bushes galore, and about 1 1/2 acres of flat grassland). This land has been pretty much neglected for many years. After much agonizing, mindchanging, prayer (honest!) and near purchases I have now made my decision on whether to go with red, blue, orange, or green. For me, it's gotta be GREEN. I have found a 2000 JD 4200 FWD, collarshift, 110 hours, FEL, BushHog rear blade all in nearly mint condition (it has been garage kept, too). The asking price was $11,500 to which I will probably add a BushHog Rotary Cutter, and a winch (is the winch a good idea?).
My plan is have the local JD Deere dealer pick it up at the seller's home and check it out, as it never had the 50 hour scheduled maintenance, and then deliver it to my land. I would love to hear from my respected band of tractor brothers concerning my wisdom, and/or foolishness of this purchase and my plans. Of course, any recommendations will be greatly honored. Oh yes, the seller did throw in a new John Deere hat with the deal!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-25          89353

Allen, that is a very good price if the machine is in good condition.

David ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-25          89354

Welcome to Tractorpoint! Yes indeed, that is a great price. The only caution is that I think the 4200 may have the front axle issue where it can cause scuffing of the turf when finish mowing. You didn't mention a finish mower so it may not matter to you. You might ask your dealer about it if you're concerned. This is not a reliability issue though. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-26          89370

AllenWilson; Welcome to Tractor Point. That's a lot of nice equipment for the money. Unless you have a special purpose for it I've really never saw much need for a winch. What few winches I've looked at seemed like a good quality brand was kind of pricey, maybe wait on the winch to see if you really need it. Have a ball with your new equipment. Frank. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
allenwilson

2004-06-26          89377

This being my first tractor, I am worried about getting in deep in some of my wetland areas. These areas stay wet and muddy all year long, so I am told, and they need some work rerouting some flow lines and minor clean-up. Maybe this should be of no concern with the FWD. That's why I am wondering about the winch. Frank, your advice is appreciated. Additional thoughts on this will be equally appreciated.
Allen ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-26          89379

Allen, if you go to the search page and search for winch in the subject line there are a few discussions of winches and tractors. Here's a link to the longest thread that discusses them. I got stuck once and started looking for a winch but put it on the back burner. My decision was an economic one - the cost of a good winch large enough to get me out of trouble was as much as calling the tow truck a dozen times to pull me out. I don't plan on getting stuck that often. However, if the right deals comes along I may snap it up. ....

Link:   Winch thread

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
allenwilson

2004-06-26          89395

Ken, the "winch thread" you attached is great reading... thank you. Have you ever found and gotten your winch? If so, has it been a good use of dollars? ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-26          89396

I haven't found a killer winch deal yet so still don't have one. I haven't missed having one so from my current perspective it would have been a waste of money. If I get stuck again, though, that could change :) ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
jedolson

2004-06-28          89524

I worked with a 4210 this spring and got it stuck twice when I got in to soft/wet ground and the front wheel sunk up to the axel in no time. Had to pull it out with the Ford 9N. Not sure if the 4200 has similar size front wheel and ground clearance but if you working in a lot of wet soft ground that could give you some trouble. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-28          89526

Jed... what sort of tires were on that 4210? ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-28          89527

Gotta love that Oregon clay. I'll bet the 4210 you used had R4 tires. I haven't had any problems since I switched my 4310 to R1's, but the R4's were near useless wet or dry. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
lockwoodfe

2004-06-28          89531

kwschumm,
Please elaborate on the front axle turf scuffing issue. I have a 4200 and turf damage is definitely an issue when using 4wd and making sharp turns. Did they make a change regarding this problem? If so can mine be retrofitted? ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-28          89533

I have no personal experience with this problem and my knowledge is definitely second hand. My understanding is that the original front steering geometry on the older 4000 series machines was such that the front tires were prone to damage turf when turning. JD had a PIP going for awhile that fixed the problem for free on machines that were used for finish mowing. AFAIK that PIP program has ended. I'm sure your dealer is familiar with the problem and can fill you in on the details. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-28          89534

By the way, I think every CUT will scuff turf to some extent in sharp turns when using 4WD. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
lockwoodfe

2004-06-28          89535

kwschumm - thanks for the info. I don't consider my problem severe and thought some turf damage to be expected when using 4wd. Guess I will have to check with my dealer if I want to know if I have the old style. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
jedolson

2004-06-28          89542

Yep the 4210 I used had R4 7-12's. The 4310 has 7-14's which are way better. 7-14 R1's should keep you out of trouble whether Oregon clay or West Virginia ?? whatever you have there. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
JD Hambone

2004-06-30          89725

Greetings all, this too is my first post on tractorpoint.com and I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth on the 4200 purchase issue. I own a 2000 model 4wd JD 4300 with the 430 front end loader. I used it to dredge my pond when it went dry during the drought 2 years ago. On several occaisions I managed to bury it to the front axle in the wet goo that lurked just below the crusty surface of the dried pond. Each time I was able to "walk" it out using the bucket on the front end loader. Just curl the bucket back, press it into the muck, lift the front end out of the muck, and curl the bucket to push the tractor back out of the muck. Continue this process until the rear wheels catch some dry ground and then you are free. Now this probably won't work if both axles are buried, but then a winch may not either. With the wide rear tires and the narrow front tires on this tractor, I have never (yet) encountered a situation where the front wheels didn't get mired first leaving the rear wheels still on top of the goo. Congratulations on your purchase. ....

4200 Purchase

View my Photos
allenwilson

2004-06-30          89743

Just a quick thank you to all you guys for the info, and the welcome into the "club." I look forward to getting back from a trip to Alabama, and getting the tractor to work on my land. I am sure this will not be my last post... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login