Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire Chains on John Deere 4010 Tractor

View my Photos
oltom40
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-09          68310

I have a 4010 JD with 410 loader and 5'rear blade. The tractor has turf tires. The question is, here in West Central Illinois, we can have an easy winter or large amounts of snow. I am debating as to whether I need to get tire chains for the rear wheels even though it is a four wheel drive tractor. This is my only means of moving snow from about 150foot long driveway and around other ponts on the property.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-09          68322

What type of tires do you have on the tractor? If you have turf tires you are probably OK. Not sure if it is R4 industrial or R1 Farm. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-09          68323

I would just let some air out of those turfs to maximize the footprint and go for it.

Chains are designed to get you through uncleared snow such as you might find while driving your car in a snowstorm. They are of little effect if they are running on cleared pavement behind a plow or a blower.

I am making the assumption here that you will end up using the rear blade in reverse most of the time. Do you have skid shoes for it?

With your tire size, you should be able to get chains from any auto parts store.

I would recommend 100+ pounds of wheel weights in each rear wheel. With that rear blade on the ground you will not have any rear ballast. ....

View my Photos
Johnno

2003-11-09          68338

I disagree, chains can make a world of difference when clearing snow, especially with turf tires. I have a 655 MFWD and turfs w/#51 FEL and I clear sidewalks and some driveways in the winter. Even with the MFWD engaged the tractor could barely move any snow unless I put chains on and it then became a bulldozer compared to no chains, so they do make a difference. It would be easy to find chains for turf tires, just check your local yellow pages or tire dealer perhaps. ....

View my Photos
oltom40

2003-11-09          68339

I agree with Johnno that tire chains would make a major difference. I can get a set locally that is custom made to your specs for $160.00. If you never need them, it is pretty cheap insurance ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-09          68352

Normally on paved surface that is being cleaned I have found that all the chains do is scratch up the top of the blacktop. If you are leaving a base on the pavement then it might make a difference. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-09          68354

Yup. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login