Go Bottom Go Bottom

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
SJ
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-05          50553

I've decided to bite the bullet and finally get a 3pt post hole digger instead of doing it by clamshell. I would really appreciate some input here since every dealer I've contacted sells a different brand and recommends their brand over the competition (what a surprise). And they are all priced differently to boot. Are they all the same presuming similar HP ratings and shaft diameters? What about the Korean and Chinese brands? HELP!

Thanks,
SJ

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
jan6720

2003-03-05          50554

Probably should have mentioned above that I'm running a JD4200 with FEL and it's time to work some long standing (no pun intended) fencing issues.

Thanks,
SJ ....

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-05          50579

Well I have heard of a PhD as standing for piled higher and deeper, but not a post hole digger.
I would think that you can find a good domestic PhD, but a lot are not able to dig dirt. A lot of the foreign ones need the manual to complete the task.
Seriously like alot of the implements, the Korean Tractors are selling either European or domestic brands painted the same color. As the cost is not that large I would either look for a good Italian one or a heavy domestic brand. A Korean on maybe good but don't be fooled by the color. Ask were it was produced. I am not sure I would touch a Chinese one. Chinese steel is variable and on an item such as this I would not be certain as to the quality.
Peters PhD ....

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-06          50601

Gave me a smile also. Peters pretty well covered the metal aspects. So my question is: What type of soil are you going to work in? Light sandy? Heavy clay? Shale? Gravel small or real boney?

Can you dig a hole with your "Clamshell" with out the use of other tools? Or can you dig with just moderate breaking loose with a bar? Or do you have to get down a pick big rocks out of the hole as you break them loose?

If it s the last one you better buy the heaviest out there and carry a bucket of sheer bolts. Ask me how I know... ;-)

Harvey ....

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-06          50612

In terms of comparing brands, I usually just let my dealer do that. I figure he has people employed for researching what's available and an interest in making recommendations that work out. At least my dealer knows my uses and budget and tends not to recommend only factory attachments. I figure his people can do a better job of it than I can.

I departed a bit from my usual habit of just going with what my dealer recommends when I bought my auger. I did shop around and found what you did. Seems like a bunch of regional fabrication shops make augers and every dealer has their own favourite. I'd never heard of any of the brands mentioned.

I did end up with what my dealer recommended and may also have dodged a bullet by doing so. I almost got a 14" auger from a near-by dealer rather than the 12" I did get. I reasoned that the 12" and 14" augers were virtually the same price and a 14" one should be heavier duty. There's a chance that the 14" auger would have a larger frame and my 3ph wouldn't lift the tip off the ground. That is an issue with augers on low ground clearance compacts.

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
jan6720

2003-03-06          50620

Leinbach, Rankin, Howse, Landpride.....
Are they all pretty much the same? The price sure varies for the same general gearbox ratings and shaft sizes. What about reliability? Medium or Heavy duty? The soil I'm digging through is sand/dirt with some rocks down to about 2 feet then I hit a shallow clay layer and then HARDPAN. With the clamshell it takes me about 3 times as long to go the last 12 inches as the first 24. By the way, I was hoping for the LOOK SEE with the phd reference. Thanks for your insights.

SJ ....

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-03-06          50622

The foremost question should be, I think, who makes the gear box?
Some knowledgeable contributors to this board are leary of chinese gearboxes. ....

PHD Compatibility

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-03-06          50632

Generally, I would agree about the chinese products, but it would appear that the name branders are using Omni boxes from China in the rotary cutters. Speeco, which makes a nifty well priced little PHD uses a chinese box and guarantees it for 5 years. I'd look at the warranty on the box when making a purchase. ....

Link:   link

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login