Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 deere

View my Photos
plots
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-21          47879

want to buy this tractor wish i could get more info from this site on the ups and downs of this model, im greener than the color of this model on tractors so anything i could find out would really help . want to do general up keep on 40 acers and possible food plots for wildlife and maintian 1000ft dirt road on property. been reading site trying to learn about ballast weight seems real important.dont want to kill myself with first tractor.my land is pretty hilly. been qouted 14k for 790 with 419fel.R1 tires seems pretty fair from what if been reading.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 deere

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-01-21          47895

The 790 is an afordable machine compared to some others with the same horse power rating. The tractor is sort of light in the rear. I do experience traction problems now and again. Its a relatively simple proven design which has been around many years. True about the brakes, they are dry, but, they are made to be replaced. You should get years of faithful service from this machine before you have to worry about replacing the brakes.The fel isnt very practical for heavy excavation work. But, is perfect for most of us average, do it yourself guys around the 'ol place.It sounds like , for what you will be doing, this machine should be perfect. good luck Ron L. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2003-01-21          47915

I've had a J D 790 for over a year an love it. It's done pretty much everything I asked of it. I've run a 5 ft bush-hog, 6 ft rear finish mow,
6 ft rear blade an Woods 5000 chipper. On the front end a FEL with
54 in bucket (same width as tractor) 6 ft FEL mounted snow blade
an pallet forks.

The 790 is John Deere's no frills tractors, it doesn't have any gismos
or electronic gadgets but still very capable of getting the job done.

There's an old saying,"Keep it simple stupid, there's less to go wrong"

If you buy the tractor be sure to have the tires loaded as it does
need the extra weight... .

790 deere

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-23          48001

whats the price for loading tires and also do you get all 4 loaded? ....

790 deere

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-23          48004

We never load the fronts as it is quite easy to add weight there. If you have the loader on and a full bucket it's just more weight that is not needed.

790 deere

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-01-23          48025

Hi guys, Im glad you brought up the loading tire subject. I've been toying with the idea of adding liquid to the rear tires of my 790. I was told by john deere that they dont recomend filling the tires with calcium chloride. They said that if you do get a bad leak, that the calcium could sling onto the tractor and it could damage the paint if not immedietly removed. I also know through experiance that even a small leak of calcium around the tires valve stem usually starts eating away at the rims. I spoke with another dealer who advised me to fill the tires with anti freeze because it's less corrosive, eliminating the above problems. Then i bent some more ears and was told that you dont want the extra weight because it is hard on the tractors drive train.......
(what to do...to fill or not to fill)I have a ferguson t0-30 with filled tires and it's a tank, I love the extra weight, but i dont want to cause problems for myself down the road by filling the 790 tires. Any suggestions.
Thanks Ron L. (New Park PA)

790 deere

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-23          48044

My Deere 4100 clearly recommends calcium filled tires, I don't know why the 790 would be different.
After having filled tires, I have opted for wheel weights. Way less hassle. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2003-01-24          48049

The rear tires on my 790 are loaded with Molasses. I think it'd made
from sugar beets by am not positive. The stuff is thick, stinks and
weight about 10 1/2 lbs per/gal. The molasses are non corrosive,
and biodegradable.

If your only going to do PTO work you don't need the weight but if
your planning on a FEL, or doing work requiring ground traction you
better load the tires...

The weight it self has very little effect on the tractor as it's carried
by the tires but the weight does increase traction so this does
make the drive train work a little harder. I'm sure the tractors
built to take it as most tractors with FEL have loaded tires.. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2003-01-24          48050

"(what to do...to fill or not to fill)I have a ferguson t0-30 with filled tires and it's a tank, I love the extra weight, but i dont want to cause problems for myself down the road by filling the 790 tires. Any suggestions.
Thanks Ron L. (New Park PA)"

I don't expect you'd have any problems if you filled your tires to the 75% mark (just above the top of the wheel with the valve being at the 12:00 O'Clock position).
As for added wear on the drive train components...I suppose in theory the added weight would add some inertia to the initial rotation of the wheels, but since we're doing about 11 MPH max, just can't see this being an issue.
My 670's tires are loaded.....friend of mine with an 855 has had his loaded (with calcium choride) for 15 years with no adverse affect.

Ron, you're in New Park. If that's the town I'm thinking of (between Stewartstown and Fawn Grove), you might want to try Southern York County Turf and Tractor. They fill with windshield washer fluid.

790 deere

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-24          48057

Far as I know CACL works fine with tubes as long as there aren't leaks. Any loading material complicates tire repair and has varying degrees of disposal problems. Most are toxic (dogs love anti-freeze). The molasses probably is a product called Rim Guard, which may be the lest toxic, least corrosive and heaviest by volume of all.

Tractors are made to be ballasted so their traction and balance can be adjusted to particular operations. A 75% liquid fill is pretty standard and shouldn't be a problem for most tractors.

Liquid fill is cheap but it isn't convenient. It also is virtually permanent and is always there whether needed or not. Wheel weights are expensive but can be detached. They don't leak and a person probably can fix their own tires without calling the mobile tire repair people.

There have been quite a few discussions about ballast weight and tractor wear and tear. The main idea seems to be that a tractor should be ballasted appropriately for its main work. Too much or too little isn't good. In terms of 'too much,' there is extra weight to be moved every time the tractor slows or speeds. There's extra wear on gear trains and brakes in general and clutches and HST pumps in particular.

Carrying weight that isn't needed will shorten part service life expectancies. However, tractors are designed to have adequate service lives and few compact owners are likely to wear out their tractors ballasted or not. I guess the question is why shorten the working life if extra weight isn't needed? Extra weight also makes a tractor less suitable for driving on lawns. I prefer unloaded turfs and a heavy box scraper for loader work. Weight on the 3ph lightens steering where as wheel weight doesn't. The PS on my ford is gimpy.

790 deere

View my Photos
Koby

2003-01-24          48072

My JD 4110's tires are loaded with CaCl, I imagine around 200 lbs per wheel of ballast. On occasion, I still felt light in the rear end, sometimes "cathcing air" when hooked on a root. I am now carrying a 270 lb rear scraper blade as additional ballast, with good results. I have the CaCl solution in tubes to prevent rim corrosion. My concern is that when I check the rear tire pressure, valve at 12:00, some CaCl solution still sprays out of the valve. Will this eventulally compromise the valve and promote leakage, or worse, a frozen valve? Is it necessary to check the pressure of loaded tires? I am thinking of switching to wheel weights, just as soon as I can justify the expense. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-24          48079

If they are spraying fluid at 12 o'clock they are a bit overfilled.

The valve stem is brass and not affected by the CACl and the actual moving parts of the plunger look like stainless steel and in any case are real easy to change.

I think it is a good idea to check the pressure on any tire on a regular basis. What sort of tires are you running? Maybe I can help with some inexpensive wheel weights.

My 4100 needs more than loaded tires to do loader work, and like you, I have found the addition of a rear blade or box scraper about right.

790 deere

View my Photos
Koby

2003-01-24          48080

Plots, with 40 acres and 1000 ft of gravel, I would go with at least a 30 HP tractor. The JD 790 (30 HP) is a fine machine and, as stated, will pull a 6 foot blade and a 5 rotary cutter. No hydrostatic tranny available though, which may be something to consider if you are new to tractors. If you have a New Holland dealer nearby, check out the TC 30. For close to the price of the 790, you get a 30 HP tractor, with the option of a hydrostatic transmission. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
Koby

2003-01-24          48081

Plots, with 40 acres and 1000 ft of gravel, I would go with at least a 30 HP tractor. The JD 790 (30 HP) is a fine machine and, as stated, will pull a 6 foot blade and a 5 rotary cutter. No hydrostatic tranny available though, which may be something to consider if you are new to tractors, or indend to do a lot of loader work. If you have a New Holland dealer nearby, check out the TC 30. For close to the price of the 790, you get a 30 HP tractor, with the option of a hydrostatic transmission.
Mark, I am interested in any info that you have on wheel weights for my 4110, thanks. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-01-24          48091

Thanks folks, there is alot of good information here in reference to loading tires. All of the feedback appreciated and helpful. Ron L. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-25          48111

i did look into the tc30 but i really like the green machine better, the extra dollars for hst was not real appealing to my wife as she said the extra dollars could be used on another tool for 3pnt im looking at.have to keep her happy in this deal or she can really make my tractor fun miserable.she said thats plain lazy way out,really clutchin wont bother me much.ill be getting my new 790 next sat. cant wait to put it into service.dealer said just to carry 575lbs box blade when doing fel work instead of loading tires as extra weight is not always needed. what do some of you user's think? ....

790 deere

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-25          48113

I think your dealer is absolutely right if your land is flat as a pancake.
If you have to work side slopes you will REALLY appreciate the extra stability wheel weights or loaded tires will give you. It is all about keeping the rubber side of the tractor pointing down. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-25          48114

Koby, do you have R4's,? Or a better question: do you have 15, 16 or 16.5 inch rear rims? ....

790 deere

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-25          48115

forgot to mention nh dealer was a real jack ass and that really lead me to green as i think there should be good relation with dealer for futher service. cant really down the blue machine though it seemed like a good tractor also maybe guy was having a bad day? but from what if been reading on this site all seem to be happy with there green machine so im going green. i feel ill be happy too, going to find out next week, cant wait! ....

790 deere

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-25          48123

wheel weights seem to sound better to me as they can be removed if needed as price is a factor though. does any body know price for rear wheel for 790? ....

790 deere

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-01-25          48131

Plots, you will be happy w/790. Even down the road if you decide it's not what you wanted, you can always sell same. I've seen used ones selling for almost new prices.But, im confident that you won't be disapointed. This tractor, like many compacts, do get alittle ''freaky'' on inclines. I've never upset mine, but i've come close a time or two. Remember to wear that seat belt. It is a pain in the $%% putting it on, especially if you are on and off the machine alot. Also, remember this, if you have the seat belt on and the machine does upset (god forbid), just hold on for the ride. One's nature instict is to hold their arms out to catch their fall, but, just hold on to that wheel like your mad at it and let the roll over protection (rop) do it's job. Have Fun Ron L. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
Koby

2003-01-25          48135

Plots, good luck with your 790, I'm sure you will be happy with it. As long as you are not mowing your lawn, there is no reason NOT to fill the tires, especially if you have hilly terrain. The only reason I am considering wheel weights is that I may mow with my machine in the future, and would like to be able to remove the weight.

Mark, I am running R4 tires on 16.5" rims, thanks. ....

790 deere

View my Photos
Night Hawk

2003-01-30          48391

My 770 which is an old style 790 has proved to be an amazing machine. It has 4WD with turf tires, unloaded. With ag tires, it would be quite a bit more impressive in slick conditions. As it is, once the tire treads get filled with dirt, you might get into trouble. The Def lock has been my salvation a number of times.

The 770/790 is, in my mind good old fashioned tractor technology. But there are a few drawbacks. I hate the transmission. It is junk! It works, but that's about it. It is a real art, to establish clash-free gear changes while on the move although that was never the intention. At high engine RPM it takes a while after reducing RPM, to change gears. This is a pain, when blowing snow or cutting grass. Worst of all, the machine has only two reverse gears. When doing PTO work, one range is too fast and the other too slow! I don't think I'm being too fussy here, with this complaint and it's my biggest by far.

The 770 and 790 as was said, is a bit light in the 3PH, but I have put it through some tough slugging and it performed. Hydraulic quality has been excellent.

The upswept exhaust and non-folding ROPS have been somewhat of a nuisance. And getting on and off, isn't as easy as some open platform tractors.

I am considering getting rid of this machine, only because I want a JD 110, and just don't want too many machines sitting around. And yet, I admire this 770 enough, to make me apprehensive. I am becoming more and more afraid of high tech offerings, particulary electronic, that can be expensive to repair, and worse, maybe never work right to begin with. The 770 did fail once, when a fuse that I didn't know existed failed without explanation in the module that senses operator presence and PTO engagement. This shut off the fuel solenoid and left the tractor sitting dead. I was amused, when a friends brand new NH skid steer died the same week, also because of a fuse, again with no explanation.

Back to the JD, the JD 770/790 is also an attractive machine, unlike some of the Kubota's 1970's East Blok type styling. Of course this is highly subjective, but on the other hand, I am not a "what I have is best" type of person, and hope I have given my true impressions of this machine.

I guess as a final thought. If somebody has a lot of gear changing to do, especially in conjunction with PTO work, then I would suggest a hydro. Gear changing between 1st and reverse isn't too bad, and although I don't have a loader, I figure this might not work too badly.

Those are my impressions, and I hope they help any one considering buying this machine.

Tom ....

790 deere

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-30          48406

Koby, here is the deal on the wheel weights.

I have 16 inch rims which have 13 1/4 inch clearance on the inner rim right next to the lug bolts.

I went to the local big box sporting goods store and found some weight lifting plates by a company called BFCO. They are 50#, cast iron and appeared to be just the right diameter. I got four (total 200 lbs. for $100)

When I got them home they were just a skosh to big so I had to take two of them to a machine shop and have a little metal turned off the OD. This may not be a problem with your 16.5 inch rims as I think the center section is just that much bigger.

I fashioned a center post out of a Simpson strong tie part: all I had to do was bend it straight in the bench vise and open the holes a little.

Then I drilled holes in the BFCO plates to match the square holes in the factory wheels and bolted the whole thing together.

Two plates, 100#, fit flush inside the wheel recess and leave the valve stem unobstructed. A third plate could be easily added, one would just have to drill a shallow relief cut for the valve stem.

When my tires were filled they weighed 120# more than the unfilled tires. These weights seem to be every bit as effective to me.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login