Go Bottom Go Bottom

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
IRTEXN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-07          43488

The JD website dosen't show a posthole digger for the 4110. Is there one available for this tractor? If so, what brand and aprox. how much can I expect to pay for it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-07          43490

You can buy them almost anywhere, they are universal for the most part. I used my Kubota auger on the 4100 I owned, seems to me they start around $300 fo a cheap one minus the auger bit. ....

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-07          43499

Before you plunk down your money take the boom and the yoke, attach it to your tractor, and run it through a range of motion.
I had to have mine cut and rewelded because I couldn't raise it without hitting the seat/rops bracket. ....

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
JonB

2002-10-08          43526

I've a Bush Hog PHD digger on my JD4100 & it works fine. Be sure to read older posts on PHDs. They have limitations, can be difficult to attach and store, and take some getting used to. But I've solved these problems with experience and put in lots of holes with mine. I should be putting in more this winter & spring, and have no intention of giving it up. JonB ....

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-08          43533

I wonder if the lack of a JD PHA for 4100/10's is similar to the backhoe issue? I know that a PHA can really bang a 3ph around unless it is operated carefully. I also know that I can lug my 24 pto hp engine with my 12" auger. That can happen if there's a lot of float on the 3ph and the dirt is soft. The auger digs rapidly and ends up with a lot of dirt on top. The engine sometimes lugs if I then try to raise the auger with the 3ph while it is still running. The problem is manageable, it just takes attentive operation and periodically lifting it too get some of the dirt out of the hole. There'd be more problems with fewer HP and a 12" bit.

The main thing with PHA's on compacts is ground clearance. The 3ph on a low clearance tractor can't lift the auger high enough for the bit to clear the ground. Many PHA's have three mounting positions for the boom on the yoke. The higher position raises the PHA further off the ground, but won't dig as deep. Some PHA's only have a single mounting position and may not provide enough clearance for a small compact. I'm able to use the mid-position on mine and still dig in excess of 4' (by burying the gearbox), but the bit does drag if I go up small hills.

For deeper holes, shaft extensions are available. However, when extensions are used, the 3ph can't put the bit into the hole with the extension on and can't get the bit out of the hole unless it’s taken off. I haven't had to use one but it sounds like a pain even if it does get the job done.

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-08          43551

Deere says in their sale brochure that the 4100 “is not compatible with any backhoe” but when it comes to PHD’s, it simply does not offer a green one. The 4100 has a cramped center link location and I would suspect the standard green unit binds like mine did. So instead of offering two models they are simply silent on the issue. ....

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
IRTEXN

2002-10-08          43568

Thanks for the info gentlemen....at least I know that it is possible to use a PHA with the 4110. I only have about 250 holes to dig, maybe I can find one to borrow or a cheap one at auction

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-09          43590

The good thing about PHA's is that new ones aren't too expensive. A used one might take some looking around and might also have a shot auger bit. I seem to remember that the points on some bits are replaceable, but I can't remember if a mill file is the only remedy for the bit on my PHA.

Many new ones at auctions likely would be 14" augers, since that's a favourite size for pole barns, but a 14" auger probably would be too big for a 4110, even if a smaller bit was bought for it. Might be easier to just start out thinking of a new one.

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
Green Mountain Jim

2002-10-11          43717

I also have recently purchased the 4110. I am not specifically looking to add a PHD but, I have looked into it a little. My understanding is that the JD 31C Posthole digger is designed for all the 4000 series models. I received the Grounds Care Equipment Purchasing Guide from another JD dealer. It states that you need a Category 1, 3 point hitch, 540 RPM PTO and not much more. John Deere states on their website that the 4115 is compatable with it. I have spoken to 2 JD dealers and a Kubota dealer that claimed the 4110 would have no problem with it. Good luck with your search for info. ....

Posthole digger for 4110

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-12          43734

That's a good piece of info. It's also good to know that the manufacturer is behind that type of application. I’d still take care not to let an auger bang the hitch around too much and watch out for the auger to drag when transporting, especially if backing up a hill. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login