Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4115 spools

View my Photos
ScottJ
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-06-08          183802

Hi, please forgive my ignorance, totally new to tractors and their workings so may use words I don't actually understand.

I am looking at buying a JD 4115 with loader & cab, looks to be ideal for what I want apart from one thing that may be handy and I wanted to ask/check, I don't believe it has a spool valve at the back (aka SCV I think)

http://sj.co.uk/4115.JPG
http://sj.co.uk/4115a.JPG

Am I right in saying that if I wanted to hire/use a post knocker then this tractor needs a spool valve to power it? I presume the spool valve powers the lift on the knocker somehow, would I be right in saying that this can be overcome by a Power Beyond Port kit, if so is there is specific part number or is the kit quite universal.

What I really would like to know is if the PB kit is a solution and if so should I just contact my local JD garage and ask for a quote for fitting it. Wanted to check here first so that I don't totally embarrass myself as a newb when contacting them, thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4115 spools

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-08          183819

I think the issue, more generically, is to install rear hydraulic outlets to operate (what we would call) a post driver. They can vary across makers, so you should first know what your pounder will require.

However, if what you'll be driving are what we call metal T-posts, using a helper to hold it and the bucket to lower it would be faster and cheaper. If they're wood, a rear post-hole auger might serve you better. ....

JD 4115 spools

View my Photos
ScottJ
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-06-08          183820

Thanks, yep agree a post auger probably looks a better/easier option. ....

JD 4115 spools

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-08          183821

Just be forewarned, a PTO auger is the greatest invention man ever invented for finding buried rocks. ;)

If the flighting catches a rock and threads itself down past it, you'll not be impressed with the job it is to either manually turn the auger backwards with a large pry bar, or to dig it free.

Stay ready to pounce on the clutch at the first hint of trouble.

Best of luck. ....

JD 4115 spools

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-06-08          183822

Which leads to another point. Some larger tractors' PTO can be operated in reverse. Could be useful for auger work. ....

JD 4115 spools

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-06-09          183827

I am asking the pros here: if the tractor has FEL on it could he not use those connects to run a rear mounted hyd auger and have the ability to reverse the direction when it hits rocks or roots? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login