Go Bottom Go Bottom

turbo question

View my Photos
praha4752
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-03          140173

JD 3520 turbo motor and JD 3320 w/o turbo.
Is the turbo motor less reliable, more maintenance, more fuel consuption , just something to stay away, if the power is not THAT importand/less bells and whistles , better/.

Thanks,
Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

turbo question

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-03          140174

In my opinion, the turbo is not a reliabilty issue. They last on our trucks and larger tractors for many years and thousands of miles. A benefit of having a turbo is no hp loss due to altitude. If it were me, I would go for the 3520. ....

turbo question

View my Photos
DK35vince

2007-03-03          140175

I've been working around or running turbo and non-turbo diesel engines for years.
The turbo charged diesels are no higher maintainance. ....

turbo question

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-03          140176

My only comment would be that after working the machine hard it is even more important on turbos to allow a good cool down period before shutting the machine off, but it's best to do that on any machine anyway. ....

turbo question

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-04          140178

We ran engines with turbos for years on farm equipment, far as I can remember I never replaced a turbo or had any problems caused by a turbo. Like was mentioned proper cool down is important to the life of a turbo. After a full power load let the engine idle at about 1/3 throtle till the heat guage comes down, usually 2-3 minutes,. then shut it down. Frank. ....

turbo question

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-03-04          140181

I never had a turbo, interesting and obviously importand info.
Thanks,
Joe ....

turbo question

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-04          140182

Joe; I have no idea of your age group, so if you did'nt live thru the early 60's and weren't around agriculture then I'll give you a bit of a rundown on turbos. If you have heard bad things about them then the stories probably originated back then. I'll use the 4020 John Deree as an example, they came out of the factory with about 95 horsepower using a non turbo diesel engine. Farmers were hungry for more power so short line companys like M and W Gear Co. started selling turbo kits for the 4020 and many other makes of tractors, they sold like hotcakes. You could easily get 120-130 horsepower out of the 4020. Problem was more air along with more fuel to produce the extra power combined to produce more heat. The cooling system wasn't designed to hadle the extra heat, the 4020 only held 8 quarts of engine oil, too much heat for too little oil. You'll still se an occasional 4020 with an ad on deep cast aluminum ribbed oil pan that held more oil. Most of them really did hold up quite well, manny of them are still running today. Todays engines with factory turbos are designed to handle the heat and highjer pressures turbo's produce.In the days before tractor cabs I used to enjoy the whine of a turbo under load, kinda fascinating. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login