Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Engine Shutdown Starting

View my Photos
runslikeadeere
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-19          136080

I live in the Deep South and lost numerous trees to Katrina.
In dragging logs and limbs to my burn site I found the stuck engine shut-off switch under the seat very handy as I repeatedly dismounted my JD 790 to connect and hook-up a chain. Recently the switch has become unstuck and works as it was designed and I miss the "malfunction". From experience I am well aware of Murphy's Law and am reluctant to disable a safety feature. Please discuss the ramifications of repeated and frequent shutdowns and startups on my tractor's diesel engine. Thanks for the help, I have learned much here.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
rbkuconn

2006-10-19          136097

You can disable it but....how you goin' to tie your shoes?
(If you have shoes left).
The bottom line DON'T DO IT. It's there for a reason. The inconvenience is a small price to pay for a disfiguring or life threatening accident!
Stay safe! ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-19          136099

Most tractors will continue running when you get out of the seat if you slip it into neutral and set the brake first. Not sure if the 790 has this feature.

Despite the good advice above, my seat switch is held down with a chunk of rubber and some Velcro.

Most knowledgeable service folks on this board do not recommend turning a diesel off and on every few minutes. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-10-19          136101

I hate seat switch's, and disable them on any of my machines that have them.
I have leaned up off the seat in bad situations before and the seat switch shut down the motor at the worst possible time. I call seat switch's the death switch (my opinion )

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-19          136109

"It's there for a reason"

In my opinion, it's only there to prevent or minimize those wonderfull lawsuits. Yes, it's probably safer, but then again, if we all wore helmets when we drove our cars we'd be safter too - but I don't see anyone doing that. It's the whole convenience vs. safety risk/reward decision you'll have to make for yourself. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-19          136111

The rule of thumb with diesels is if it's turbo-charged, the oil needs to recirculate enough to cool down the bearings in the turbo so they and the oil doesn't get cooked. All my equipment is diesel including my daily driver a Cummins Ram. I start/stop my bobcat and tractor all the time with no seemingly adverse effects. I know that semi-tractors run their engines parked rather than start/stop them for a couple reasons in cold climates 1.) Hard to start and takes longer to warm up, and 2.) The starters cost a lot and fuel is cheaper.

View my Photos
rbkuconn

2006-10-20          136115

I only have one thing more to say............
GOOD LUCK "LEFTY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, BY THE WAY, IT'S OK TO WORK ON LIVE WIRES TOO...AS LONG AS YOUR CAREFUL..NO ONE EVER DIES FROM THAT!

LIKE THE OLD FARMER SAID WHEN HIS HORSE DIED.."GEEZ HE NEVER DID THAT BEFORE"!!! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-20          136130

My used 750 just had the plug disconnected and a jumper across it. I never realized it until it had trouble starting as the jumper came loose.
It really depends what you are doing with the tractor. It would be nice to be able to change modes as needed. If you are picking up leaves with the bucket and loading by hand it is a problem.
I don't suggest you sell the tractor with the jumper in place like the man who sold it to me did. You could end up in a law suit.
Starting any engine is when you have the greatest amount of wear as the oil journals are not pressurized until the pump powers up. The aero engines have a relay that kicks in the ignition after the pressure is up in the engine or separate switches. A 1940's designed engine like the P&W WASP has a 2000 hour time between rebuilds. How many 1940's cars went reliably 120,000 miles? Some racing engines use an accumilator and pressure tank. Solenoids close the tank off when the engine is stopped and open when it is started pressurizing the journals before starting. These systems also allow them to run with a dry sump which decreases power loss do to splash.
Newer oils have greater film strengths and lubricate better. Most of the reason that engines are lasting longer is due to the new oils, in addition to the new metal pairings in the bearings. Despite these facts I am convinced prepressurization would increase engine life.
Sometimes I wonder about the things manufactures do to decrease the engines life, like not adding a pressure switch and relay. Maybe the seat switch has another function other than safety. I don't have one on my car or truck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-10-20          136131

Aside from the safety issues, and dealing only with the mechanical question;

I doubt that when this is happening the engine temperature is very high. Shutting down a hot motor is a lot harder on the engine than is shutting down a colder engine.

If all you are doing is running around, I don't see it as a big problem. The first component likely to suffer from this is the starter.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login