Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4310 4WD Problem

View my Photos
MacDaddy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-01          160026

The front wheel drive on my JD 4310 is not working right. Last weekend I had it stuck in the snow. After some effort I was able to get it unstuck, but I noticed that the front wheels were not really digging in. They spin independently of each-other and lack power. When the going is tough, the wheel with the most traction quits. Any advice on what may be the problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4310 4WD Problem

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-01          160031

My guess is that the MFWD shift collar won't stay engaged.

When this happens is there any unusual noise?

The shift collar slides back and forth to couple splines on the MFWD drive shaft to a pinion shaft into the front axle. It is moved by a shoe that pivots on a cross-shaft through the transmission housing. The shoe is moved either by a hydraulic cylinder on ePowerReverser or eHydro MFWD transmissions, or mechanically on gear transmissions.

If the collar only partially engages, or pops out, then either the shift linkage is worn or damaged or the splines are badly worn. Or maybe the hydraulic cylinder isn't fully engaging it.

Time to crawl underneath and have a look-see. Be safe. ....

JD 4310 4WD Problem

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-02-01          160033

Macdaddy,

I'm not at all sure there's anything wrong with your tractor.

The front axle doesn't lock. The front axle is a limited slip design. The wheel with the most traction shouldn't have power.

4 wheel drive isn't really what it seems. In reality, only one rear wheel and one front wheel are under power.

The rear differential can be locked, but not the front axle. With the rear differential locked, you still only have three-wheel drive.

Joel ....

JD 4310 4WD Problem

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-02-01          160035

Usually when one gains familiarity with a piece of equipment, and then at some point it seems to behave differently than before, then something has changed. If it seems flakey then it probably is.

The 4310 front differential is a simple bevel gear to ring gear setup with the front axles splined to the ring gear assembly. That's what the tech manual shows anyway. ....

JD 4310 4WD Problem

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-02-02          160045

McDaddy; So long as either of the front wheels are spinning faster than the tractor is moving and you hear no unusual grinding or feel any jerking actions then I'd say nothing is wrong. I've been caught a few times when the same thing happens. Just push yourself out with the bucket and it will be fine. ....

JD 4310 4WD Problem

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2009-02-02          160046

I don't notice any unusual noise, just deems to have lost it's giddy-up. The fronts used to dig much more agressively. Thanks for the input. Guess I'll have to take a look. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login