Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gator won t run were do I start

View my Photos
BartlP419
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-06          167238

I just bought a used diesel gator from a guy in Pa. I have had it for about a week and I can't get it to run. I was told it was a 95 but went to the john deere dealer and was told by the number off it it was a 98. I went ahead and ordered a manual for it and waiting for it. I took out the batteries and had them checked had to replace one. It still won't start. Does any one know what I should do next glow plugs, altinator any advice sure would help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-06          167239

More details please.

Does it crank? If not, do you hear any clicking or anything?

If it cranks, does it sputter at all like it wants to start? Is there any smoke? If so, what color is it? How cold has it been there? Is it stored in a heated garage or outdoors?

All a diesel needs to run is good fuel, air and adequate compression. And it needs to spin fast enough to start. Air and fuel filters need to be clean and, if it's cold, the fuel could have gelled. If it's cold you should add a cold weather diesel fuel anti-gel additive.

View my Photos
BartlP419

2009-12-07          167263

I finally got it started it ran for a little while then it made a poping sound and white smoke come out from under the bed now motor crancks over but won't hit. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-07          167283

There are a couple of guys here who really know them but you will find those machines are hard on stale gas. They really don't need to sit. You may wish to begin with fresh gas and filter.Probably would be wise to change spark plug also. ....

View my Photos
BartlP419

2009-12-10          167405

I finally got the manual for this gator does not tell me much except other then if the oil light is not on it won't start does anyone know what that means the manual did not explain what to look for other then bulb or loose connection. I just don't know were to start on this gator. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-12-10          167408

Sometimes I miss the basic..diesel...so gas and spark plugs not likely an issue. :-(

OK begin again: have you check to see if FUEL is getting to the injector pump? Have you checked the air filter. Sure your fluid is free of water?

It does turn over but will not fire, correct? Have you tried jumping it just in case the battery is not capable of spinning it as fast as it should? Have no idea on those engines if there any kind of starting fluid safe to use with it or not. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login