Go Bottom Go Bottom

Slight Rocking Front Left Wheel

View my Photos
yofrient
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-20          153809

As mowing time rolled around this year (08), I was checking things on my Agracat 254 and lifted the front wheels off the ground and noticed there was a slight side to side rocking in the left front wheel. What needs to be checked and I assume eventually replaced? When it comes to these things, I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer but maybe my local mechanic can help.

Chip - will/do you have the parts?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-21          153834

Lotsa nuts and bolts up there. Hate to state the obvious, but I start by checking each and every one of them for tightness. Then you've got bearings and bushings. They're not so obvious. Is this something you're noticing from back in the operator seat? or is it when that side of the front end is jacked up off the ground? If the latter, it would help if you could describe just where the pivot point of this "rocking" motion is occurring.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-21          153836

Based upon your wording of "side to side rocking" think you found it was loose. Check the wheel bearing also for wear and proper tightness. If there is no loose motion, could it be the tire, rim or even the way it is mounted to the hub? kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-05-21          153840

Speaking of stating the obvious..... is there a bent rim?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-05-21          153847

How about a bad tie rod? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-05-25          153942

Hey Kenny, didn't you have the same issue on your equipment and even your vehicles?

As I recall it was diagnosed as a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Seriously though it co0uld be upper and lower spindle ball joints/bearings/kingpins, if so-equipped. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-05-26          153954

Yes I did! Hated to tell everybody it was solved when the problem was shipped back to Michigan. kt ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2008-05-30          154071

It will help to know what parts are moving when it is rocking and what parts are not. for example, if it is just the wheel, check the lug nuts (I know that one is obvious) if the flange the wheel is bolted to moves, but not the final drive housing, wheel bearings. if the final drive housing moves, but not the steering knuckle, steering bearings, if the steering knuckle that is supposed to be bolted to the end of the axle moves, loose bolts...etc. we can supply the parts. Sorry I havn't loggen here in a while.

View my Photos
yofrient

2008-07-08          155170

It's been a while for me too. The wobble is not noticeable from the drivers seat, only when the front end is lifted, and then the rocking is only slight. I had my local guy look at it and he said he saw no problems, however, I'm not sure how hard he looked. I've mowed and hauled logs and dirt in the FEL and have not noticed any increase in the problem. It also seems it's just the wheel moving. I'll raise it up tonight and see if the lug nuts need tightening. I would assume when it was looked at during recent maintenance, it would have been tightened when everything was put back together. But I know what is said about assumptions.

BTW: For trailering purposes, how much does a Agracat 254 weigh? ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2008-07-08          155172

base tractor about 3000lbs, loader can add 1000 more (or less) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login