Go Bottom Go Bottom

4 wheel drive not disengaging on Jinma 354

View my Photos
locksleyred
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-17          147042

Can anyone please help. My tractor is stuck in 4WD. The lever moves from 2WD to 4WD positions with some difficulty but the tractor remains in 4WD. I have done all the usual things like putting everything in neutral, trying all gears in both high and low ratio, as well as using reverse.
Naturally with these things there is never a quick fix. does anyone have any suggestions / directions on where to look for help. Please keep in mind that I live in Australia.

Looking forward to any help.

thanks

Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-17          147049

Sorry to say I think it's more serious than you think there Mike.

By your description it sounds like the 2wd / 4wd shift fork is clapped out. I'd bet the resistance you feel is the fork sliding over the gear rather than sliding it out of gear as it should.

All may not be lost though, try slowly idling it forward or back in a STRAIGHT line (and where possible on very soft ground like sand) while gently but firmly holding the shifter in the direction you want it to shift. Often the slightest resistance, such as even a slight turn, will cause it to bind up enough to not want to shift.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-17          147071

I don't know that specific lever configuration, but 2wd/4wd lever selection is not an unfamiliar subject with me. Have you actually removed the housing cover to see what's happening underneath? In my experience, that's the very FIRST place to start.

What makes you think it's stuck in 4wd by the way?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-17          147086

I am with Greg- this could be as simple as a disconnected rod between the 4wd handle and the transfer mechanism. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-18          147094

I thought about the lever being disconnected too, but Mike's statement "The lever moves from 2WD to 4WD positions with some difficulty but the tractor remains in 4WD." seems to negate that possibility. If the lever was disconnected it would move easier even than usual.

IMHO, the only thing that would result in both the lever being difficult to move, and the lack of disengagement is a fork problem. Especially if it was stuck and the lever got pushed a little too hard trying to get it to move.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
locksleyred

2007-10-26          147381

Thanks to Murf, Greg and Kleinchris. Just wanted to make sure there was no simple answer to solving this problem.
Yes Greg the first place to look is under the cover which is what I finally did.

I also removed the cover on the other side so that I could see what was actually happening. Well I was right I could move the lever into 2 and 4WD but the gear in the dog clutch did not fully come out. On closer inspection the fork appeared to be bent. So out it came heated with gas and bent back into place. Replaced the fork and plate and from the otherside I could see that there was a 3mm clearance.
The tractor now goes between 2 - 4 WD easily. When going into 4th I move slowly forward with light pressure, and I find it much easier going back into 2WD by making the tractor move in reverse.

Thanks mates for your suggestions and sorry for the late response. Greg, I had all 4 wheels off the ground and when in gear all wheels moved.

Thanks once again,

Mike

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login