Go Bottom Go Bottom

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
cdeasy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-22          139959

I have a Farmpro 2430. During the extreme cold once I got it started it ran a short time the lost power and died. Once it started again it has a clatterind sound in the engine. I changed the oil to no avail. Oil pressure is indicated on the gague, but drops when excellerating. Is it possible a bd or frozen oil pump???? Idles fine!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-22          139963

Spun crank bearing(s) maybe?

Are you sure oil sending unit is working right?

Something draining battery that would decrease overall voltage--like turning on headlights with a bad battery? ....

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-22          139965

You say it idles fine. Is the clattering there during idle? Does the clattering increase with engine speed? ....

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-02-23          139967

That tractor has an engine-driven hydraulic pump. About 18 inches aft of the pump is a quick disconnect (QD) coupling. If that comes loose, the pump will deadhead. With nowhere for the hydraulic fluid to go, the deadheading pump will starve the engine of horsepower. You'll get a lot of black smoke from the exhaust when this happens too. I've never actually pinned down the clattering noise, it could actually be the pump self-destructing. On the optimistic side, it might be from some kind of pop-off valve that helps keep the pump from blowing up.

If that turns out to be your problem, a couple of cable ties should help hold the QD together.

//greg// ....

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
cdeasy

2007-02-25          139999

kwschumm the noise does not sem to be there, but getl very noticeable as I accelerate. It accelerates slow and has little power ....

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
cdeasy

2007-02-25          140000

Not sure bout the sending unit, think im gonna pull the sump and take a look. ....

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
chipuren

2007-02-28          140087

These engines have been known to throw a pushrod out from under a rocker arm once in a while. Seems to be more common when cold, I'm not sure if it is because a valve sticks a little or if the valves are just not adjusted well from the beginning. I have not had it happen twice tot the same engine, but have had it happen on a couple different engines. so pull the valve cover and see whats up. If thats not it you can do a valve adjustment anyway while you are there. ....

clatter in the engine

View my Photos
cdeasy

2007-03-31          140901

all suggestions have led me to the conclusion that my best shot is to tear it apart. This will be an experience ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login