Go Bottom Go Bottom

Generic Diesel Pickup questions

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56822

I need to replace my P.O.S. Ford Ranger with a full size truck that can be used to tow my newly purchased tractor. Since I shot my financial wad on the tractor I will be looking at used trucks. I've never owned a diesel pickup but am interested in giving one a try due to the better mileage they seem to get. Due to really bad experiences with GM I would probably be looking at Ford or Dodge in the 96-98 model year range.

Is it a really bad idea to buy a diesel truck with over 100k miles? I'm not worried about things like alternators, A/C, brakes, suspensions, etc. - I can fix those things. I'm more worried about engine, injection pumps and longevity of the entire driveline. What goes wrong with these things? Are the injection pumps rebuildable by a decent mechanic or do they require lots of specialized knowledge and tools? Are the automatic transmissions on these things generally reliable or would I be better off with a stick?

If anyone here has had any experience with higher mileage diesel pickups I'd be interested in learning from you!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56827

I would suggest looking at 94 - 98 model Dodge Cummins pickups. They have their fault such as loose steering with is the killer dowel pin problem, and 5th gear nut problem but they are easy to fix as well provided you catch it before it causes a problem. This series Cummins engine uses the P7100 injection pump which is more reliable and MUCH easier to turn up for more power. These engines will go far in excess of 100,000 miles following the book maintenance. To get an idea of how all the makes of trucks hold up and perform I would suggest following these web sites:

www.turbodieselregister.com

www.thedieselstop.com

www.thedieselpage.com

www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/index.php

http://www.dodgeram.org/index.html

That is how I decided on my Dodge Cummins. I followed these sites for about 4 years learning about the details and problems of each model.

Good luck on your purchase! ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-06          56838

I was in the same boat a few years ago...looking for my first diesel truck.

I read the suggested forums for it seems like decades (according to my wife :))

Well I chose the Ford. I needed a crew cab and Dodge didn't have one so they were out. In the years you are quoting GM's offering was not powered by a very good diesel(compared to Cummins and PSD) so they were also out.

Choice was really made for me I guess. If you are looking at a 100,000 mile truck the motor should be just warming up the tranny is what might just be going south. Trannies are the weak point of all the diesel trucks it seems. If you read the forums it seems Fords and even more Dodges have had auto tranny issues ( so much so you couldn't get the Cummins High Output motor w/ auto). Unfortunately clutches on the sticks aren't cheap either.

Not trying to scare you I would buy another diesel in a heartbeat but try an take someone with you who is familar with these trucks and how they shift so that they might pick up on something amiss. See if you can get oil/tranny fluid samples and send them to a lab. Well worth the $40
it will cost to overnight to the lab.

Good luck

P.S. if you could get something with even say 90,000 this would give you 10,000 miles left on the motor warranty just as a safety net and allow you time to do a few oil samples as you go.

Ok....I can't resist, get the Ford. Cummins is a great motor but the Ford PSD is also terrific and it's a better overall truck :) Don't think you'd be making a mistake with either though.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56850

I hear ya! I loved the Ford Crew Cab and would have bought one in a heart beat if they had the Cummins engine and NV5600 6 speed as an option. I can still get my 3 daughters in the back fairly comfortable and without too much trouble but would love to have a full crew cab like that. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-06          56924

Honestly I can't figure out what Dodge was thinking. For years they had a crew cab Dakota and no CC 3500??? Then they announce a CC and it really is about 2/3 the size of Chevy and Ford's CC.

They are now making a 3500 single rear wheel which is important to some people and something else they didn't have before.

You with think with the ammount of horse people, ranchers, construction crews that need a real CC Dodge would have got the message. When you have coolers, kids, dogs and you're going several hours to ahorse show every bit of space helps :)

I went to the dealer saw a real nice 3500 4x4. I think it was a black and red Sport with H.O motor. I just couldn't sacrifice the space. Not to say I wouldn't have gotten the Ford but at least it would have given another option. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56928

Yeah, I was fumming mad when I saw the 2003 "so called" Quad Cabs. Why did they even bother. I would have gone with the Ford hands down if they offered the Cummin with the NV5600 or the Catarpillar 3126B. I just don't like that Powerstroke engine and the new 6.0 liter Powerstroke engine is having even more problems with idle lope and some other issues. That Lariat interior sure is nice! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56930

Now my idea of a truck would be a full crew cab, leather interior, 7 speed manual HD trans., Cummins C Series 8.3 liter, 2 speed axles, nerf bars, cattle catcher grill protector, Rhino Liner or Linex, 3 stage overload springs, equipped with a 75 gallon fuel tank. ;o) ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-06          56969

"I just don't like that Powerstroke engine and the new 6.0 liter Powerstroke engine is having even more problems with idle lope and some other issues. That Lariat interior sure is nice!"

Nah, the 7.3 PSD is pretty darn good as well. Same as Dodge, you could go through 3 transmissions and replace every other part at least once before 1 motor goes! :) Not to knock the trucks but the engines are generally so much better than the rest of the vehicle. Any of them should get you to 300k if you take care of them and you can't say that for the rest of the vehicle.

The 6.0 is having problems but I think most of it is computer related. Thtat's what happens when you rush to market. Same as the Duramax/Allison, from what the forums indicated they had some computer problems as well. I wouldn't buy a new tranny/motor combo the 1st year it's out anyway.

I have the Lariat CC and it is nice but now they are much nicer. That King Ranch that used to be only available in the 150 is now available in the 350. Now that thing is sweet. Leather looks like butter.

Bought the truck, got the tractor instead of my wifes LQ horse trailer so my next truck is WAAAAAAAY in the back of the line!

It's nice to dream!

Ford, Dodge, or Duramax in a diesel/dually package...I'll drive any of em' and consider myself a lucky man.

As far as those dream trucks you mentioned I see plenty of nice customized Super Cruizers, Freightliners and such at the horse shows. There is no end what you can dream up if you have the $$$.

Picture Link
Home Improvement Generic Diesel Pickup questions

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56971

I agree with you that the 7.3 Powerstroke engine is a well proven durable engine. It seemed like it needed to be rev'd alot higher to get power and torque than the Cummins. I like getting all 545 ft.lbs of torque at 1800 rpm. I hauled about 8,000 lbs. of firewood yesterday about 25 miles and was able to set the cruise control at 55 which is about 1600 rpm in 6th gear and it didn't hardly act like anything was in the trailer. The Powerstroke is a faster accelerating truck empty which is nice when not hauling. I mainly got the Cummins for pulling the Sea Ray which is about 8500 lbs. plus the weight of the trailer which comes to somewhere between 9,000 and 10,000 lbs. Depends on if the gas and water tanks are full. Sounds like you nice truck there. I wish I could have found leather but I had to go with what was available with the 0% financing. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-06          56976

Yeah Cummins has that nice low end grunt and I do prefer their sound. I do think on the highway the PSD is going to pull slightly better, even with the load. Cummins is the more "traditional" diesel powerband the V-8 PSD likes to wind out somemore sot he passing gear is nice.

I've got the 4.10 rear so I get to the PSD powerband pretty quick but my mileage isn't as great as other guys at 75mph. Oh well there are always trade-offs.

Sounds like it's just a case of what your looking for.

Like you, I am no where near the limits of the truck... now if I get that 4 horse LQ trailer it might be more of a test. I need heavier toys to pull!!! As it is I am always volunteering for firends just to play with the truck, "come on we can fit another yard of ______ on the truck. ;)

Glad you are also enjoying your truck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login