Go Bottom Go Bottom

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
MIFarmin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-29          118625

I installed one at my house last year. It workes GREAT! No mess in the house and the temp stays a constant 72 degrees (wifes setpoint). I would really recomend one if you have wood to burn and no close neighbors.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-29          118627

I've been thinking about one of those. What kind did you get? ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-29          118634

I have an older one which is all stainless steel. It functions quite well, but I have it hooked up to the pool with a heat exchanger. It sucks the 100,000 BTU out and takes a lot of wood. I can not remember the brand but I don't believe they make it anymore. There is no wear out to it. I guess they ran out of customers.
The only problem is when they are dampered down they create a lot of smoke. I would place it away from the building a good distance. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2005-10-29          118638

I have a Heatmore. Made in Minnesota. Stainless steel heat chamber. It heats water which is piped to a radiator in the forced air furnace. Also heats household hot water by a convection tube. Stove is 50ft from house, cross-wind. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-29          118639

How often do you have to add wood to it? Would once a day do it? Also, does the exhaust emit any sparks or ash? ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-29          118641

I have not seen any spark comming out. I guess it would depend on how long the stove pipe is.

I have a large fire box and can get by with one loading per day. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2005-10-29          118643

Same here, one load per day and have only seen sparks with a real hot fire on a cold day. The stack is only a foot tall. I keep it well cleared of leaves and stuff around the stove, tractor is good for that, and getting wood too. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-29          118644

I have 6 ft of stainless stack and have never seen anything out the top. Once and a while I take it off and knock out the soot. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-05          118986

Heatmor sent me a brochure, but after reading it a few questions remain. Does the unit have a pump in it? Or do you have to provide an external pump? Also, is there any temperature regulation of the water? We don't have any room in the ductwork for a heat exchanger so I'm thinking of retrofitting radiant floor heat on the main floor of the house. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
Andy_H
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-06          119005

KW, I too look at heatmor, but decided on a classic central boiler, model CL 5648SB. supposed to be able to heat 5k sq.ft. I heat a 2500 sqft house. the heat is far better than the propane furnace I used to heat with. also have it hooked to the water heater. Last winter I used only 10-15% of a 500 gallon propane tank, instead of having it filled every six weeks. you had a question about sparks, the only thing I have seen come out of the chimney is smoke, even at night, when the embers would be easy to see. Now the price, $6200, plus everything needed to install to my house $1800, did the install myself with good phone support from the selling dealer (friend of a friend). If you are seriously interested drop me a pm and I can answer all your questions ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-06          119011

Andy, thanks for the info. I'm leaning against LP for a few reasons. We have a geothermal heat pump that provides most of our heat and use LP for hot water, cooking, clothes dryer and generator. Propane has gone from .85 cents/gal to $2.15 in the last few years, and signs are it won't be dropping anytime soon. Even with our limited uses it runs us about $1600/year. We have a huge supply of firewood on site so it's essentially free energy (well, there's labor). So my goal is to reduce our energy bill further and increase comfort (the heat pump is marginal in the coldest weather). ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
Andy_H

2005-11-06          119032

KW, your home is setup a little different than mine, only the water heater and furnace run on propane. everything else is electric. that $1600, is that just for propane or electric included. If I had to pay 1600 for propane for a year I probably would not have done the outdoor stove, I do understand about reducing gas bills. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-06          119033

Andy, the $1600 is just for propane. Electric averages about $200/month. We live in a heavily wooded area in the boonies and lose power frequently, so the generator runs quite a bit. It rains a lot, the ground gets saturated, trees blow over, and out goes the power. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
Andy_H

2005-11-06          119034

KW, your geothermal unit, will it run off of your generator. I have a neighbor that has one, but he says it takes a huge amount of surge power to start it, and he would need a sizeable generator to run it and his house? The power draw from the stove I have is not noticeable. There is a small solenoid to open the draft door and a 1/8 hp pump to circulate the water continuously. I guess it's the price we pay to live in the great outdoors, and not in the city, but worth every penny. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-06          119035

Our generator is only 14kw so it won't run the geothermal unit. Backup heat during outages is a couple of fairly efficient fireplaces with fans, which will keep the house above 60 degrees in the winter but not much warmer. That's another reason we're considering an outside woodburner feeding radiant floor heat. As much as I'd like a 25kw generator the expense is hard to justify if we can get decent aux heat cheaper a different way. And you're right about living where we do, it is definitely worth the expense and occasional inconvenience. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
Andy_H

2005-11-06          119036

When you do your research on the stoves, The more water capacity the better, the stove i have takes 385 gal. because the fire box has heat transfer to water on all sides of it. At the back of the fire box there is a heat baffle that comes half way down that the smoke and not the heat has to go down and under and back up and out the back of the box to the chimney, seems to work good, you don't see a lot of heat coming out of the chimney. I don't cram the box full either, but rather a nice bed of coals with a camp fire size stack of wood once a day. ....

Outdoor wood stove

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2005-11-07          119093

I went with Heatmore because the floor of the fire box is a grate with sand around the edges with 1 row of fire brick. The ashes fall through the grate and you auger them out the back, auger included. Mine came with a water circulating pump, although my dealer said he buys extra good ones. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login