Go Bottom Go Bottom

TV show trends

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-14          186682

Has anyone else noticed how the trend in TV shows seems to be the dumber the better?
It seems the producers have the idea that anyione living outside a major megopolis is an uneducated Hillbilly driving a rattletrap pickup with a rack of guns and a big slobbery dog in the cab with him/her.
Perhaps someone should alert the public that we country folks aren't all Hillbillys and do have modern plumbing and electric lights.
Anyone else getting tired of being refered to as a hillbilly just because we live in the country?

Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TV show trends

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-14          186684

My good lady & I were just talking about this very thing.

As she put it "Mike Rowe has a LOT to explain for!" I like to call it 'car wreck TV', it serves no useful purpose, but you just can't stop watching.

It does however serve some productive purpose IMHO. It shows that not everybody sits behind a computer in an air-conditioned office, that some folks still get up in the morning knowing they might not make any money today, but will work hard, get dirty and likely sweat a bunch.

Best of luck. ....

TV show trends

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-15          186712

Boy do my thoughts on this vary. First not sure there is a negative with letting the city people think we are that dumb. Might keep more of them in the city. lol

Some of those shows to me are dumber than dirt. The repos shows have to be. There was two of them filmed in cities and one in rural area of North Carolina, Lizard Lick.

There is a new one filmed less than 20 miles from here in a mobile home park, in the city no less and it is known it is scripted. Sort of like wrestling. What, wrestling is not scripted? Well the wrestling is in the city.

Frank, why don't we do a show about (what word could we use to be honest and not be crude) called "??? politicians from big liberal cities go to Washington". Wonder how CNN, ABC and such would take to that?
kt

TV show trends

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-04-15          186717

I don't think it is rural or suburban in scope. I find most sitcoms portray a kind of humor I don't think is funny. It smacks of laziness on the part of the writers. All comedians will tell you it is much more work for writers to script really funny material than it is to go dirty, gross out, or newly allowed words for sexual body parts like this seasons fascination with "V" and "P".

For example "Two and Half Men","Two Broke Girls", or "Happy Endings", or the new show "How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)" with Brad Garrett from "Everyone Loves Raymond". They could almost be funny but they just don't do it that well, and the implication that we as a family talk or think at all in any way even for fun as depicted in the sitcom seems demeaning....

Maybe reruns of today's shows 10 years from today will be the shows we enjoy, just too bleeding edge now !

TV show trends

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-15          186718

I happned to run across a show on the Speed channel called "Dumbest stuff on Wheels". I find it hard to believe that anyone for the reward of a few seconds of fame on the TV would purposely do some of the stunts they show. Maybe the Undertakers Union secretly sponsors that show.
Judge Judy, Dr.Phil, and others in that category of scripted garbage to fill in an afternoon of blank TV screens. Nobody, but NOBODY could be desparate enough to take what ever they are paid to spill their guts on those shows for all the world to see and have it be for real.

Not a doubting Thomas, but a doubting Frank. ....

TV show trends

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-04-15          186725

Dennis, how about a reality show based upon TP?

It would go like this: Meanwhile 2,000 miles to the Northeast in snow covered Canada Murf is addressing how to fix a hurricane damage golf course in Myrtle beach.

While another 2,000 miles to the south west in corn land Frank from the comfort of his living room is figuring how much corn to plant and what planters to use for his neighbor who just bought the old farm next door. He moved from NY city with his wife and named the farm, "green acres".

Back to the southeast in humid southeast in swamp land KT is looking for methods to prevent wild hogs and snakes from over taking his catfish ponds. (no I do not raise catfish, this is tv remember?)

Then to the frozen north (we are now to mid July) Joel is helping a ex floor trader from Chicago with his worn out tractor to to make one more crop. Well really his first garden.

Meanwhile back in NJ Dennis is counting the revenue from TP and sadly realizes raising web sites is like most crops...some times the yield is rather low with a lot of pest. Other words you lost money. But it was fun so what does it matter, right?

Bought forgot meanwhile in NY Art is trying to figure out how much above fair price to charge the city slicker for a tractor which he has sold using the term, "country limo".

If ole Jeffery were still with us he would really round it out! Would be the writer since he was so good at grammar. Also his going round in circles with the lace trim on his tractor canopy would make tv right funny. Miss that knot head.

I only used old guys who I thought would not mind being made fun of. Oh, that is real life? Sorry. Now where is my hog dog? Snake got him!

TV show trends

View my Photos
Murf

2013-04-15          186727

Yup, sounds like the wife nailed in one......"Mike Rowe has a LOT to explain for!".

Best of luck. ....

TV show trends

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-04-15          186728

Murf, you know Mike Rowe has done a great job of making a career where sense would have said there was not one.

TV show trends

View my Photos
Murf

2013-04-15          186732

A good friend of mine, we served together, became a test pilot..

He probably fits that description too, making a good living doing whatv 'sensible folks' would have nightmares about.

IMHO he deserves every penny of the generous salary he gets, I wouldn't do it for twice what he gets.

Best of luck. ....

TV show trends

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-04-16          186739

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 186725
...... Meanwhile back in NJ Dennis is counting the revenue from TP and sadly realizes raising web sites is like most crops...some times the yield is rather low with a lot of pest. Other words you lost money. But it was fun so what does it matter, right?....

Yes you got me on that one left my taxes to the very last day and it was a somber one at that :(

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login